1600 engine noise

Old November 27th 04, 11:37 PM
Evan Evans

Default 1600 engine noise

My beloved 74 lime green love bug is making a strange noise. Can any
of you experts out there give me a heads up on what it my be? When
starting from cold it has a tick tick tick noise. Once warm the noise
is not noticeable. The sound reminds me of almost like the sound of an
electrical spark as two wires are touched. Its more like a pop sound.
I tuned the engine & it runs nicely & idals well. Thanks for any
help! Also the car is driven about 100 miles a year.
Old November 28th 04, 12:12 AM
Ed B

Have you adjusted the valve clearance? Slack in the valve train will cause
noise more noticeable when cold.
An exhaust leak could cause this type of sound especially if close to where
the exhaust exits the heads.
In both cases expansion and contraction from changes in engine temp can
cause changes in clearances.

Could be ignition system (plugs, cap, rotor), but I doubt it as that would
likely happen at any engine temp.

om...

Old November 28th 04, 05:31 AM
Hal

> My beloved 74 lime green love bug is making a strange noise. Can any
> of you experts out there give me a heads up on what it my be? When
> starting from cold it has a tick tick tick noise. Once warm the noise
> is not noticeable. The sound reminds me of almost like the sound of an
> electrical spark as two wires are touched. Its more like a pop sound.
> I tuned the engine & it runs nicely & idals well. Thanks for any
> help! Also the car is driven about 100 miles a year.

Could be a couple things. I would start by double-checking the valve
lash, a loose valve could be the culprit. The other thing it might be
is a loose head. It would really depend on if it gets louder depending
on throttle setting. If you goose the throttle and the sound becomes
substantially louder, or if you get it rolling in say 2nd gear and
then stand on it and it gets louder, then I would suspect a leak at
the junction between the head and the cylinder. Reparing it properly
will require engine removal. Personally, I would pull and inspect the
heads, change the pushrod tube seals, pull the jugs and reseal those
to the block, and then reassemble. It's a long afternoon type of job
once you get the engine on the ground.

Good luck with it.

Chris
Old November 28th 04, 10:58 PM
Jim

Before gutting anything. I would check for tight exhaust flanges. An exhaust
leak at the head can sound like that. The most obvious cause is a lifter
adjustment. A broke fuel pump spring could do it also. Get a wood dowel or
rubber hose and use like a stethescope. You will get closer that way.

Jim
SR Racing

Old November 29th 04, 12:14 PM
Evan Evans

"Ed B" > wrote in message news:<1101692310.2Oeei+pk8ec/RZQCdzsSTA@teranews>...
> Have you adjusted the valve clearance? Slack in the valve train will cause
> noise more noticeable when cold.
> An exhaust leak could cause this type of sound especially if close to where
> the exhaust exits the heads.
> In both cases expansion and contraction from changes in engine temp can
> cause changes in clearances.
>
> Could be ignition system (plugs, cap, rotor), but I doubt it as that would
> likely happen at any engine temp.
>
> "Evan Evans" > wrote in message
> om...
> > My beloved 74 lime green love bug is making a strange noise. Can any
> > of you experts out there give me a heads up on what it my be? When
> > starting from cold it has a tick tick tick noise. Once warm the noise
> > is not noticeable. The sound reminds me of almost like the sound of an
> > electrical spark as two wires are touched. Its more like a pop sound.
> > I tuned the engine & it runs nicely & idals well. Thanks for any
> > help! Also the car is driven about 100 miles a year.

I have adjusted the valves. the noise was there before the adjustment
& after. A friend with more experience with these things suspected the
fuel pump.

Thanks for all the advice!!!
Old November 29th 04, 08:54 PM
Jan Andersson

Evan Evans wrote:

> "Ed B" > wrote in message news:<1101692310.2Oeei+pk8ec/RZQCdzsSTA@teranews>...
> > Have you adjusted the valve clearance? Slack in the valve train will cause
> > noise more noticeable when cold.
> > An exhaust leak could cause this type of sound especially if close to where
> > the exhaust exits the heads.
> > In both cases expansion and contraction from changes in engine temp can
> > cause changes in clearances.
> >
> > Could be ignition system (plugs, cap, rotor), but I doubt it as that would
> > likely happen at any engine temp.
> >
> > "Evan Evans" > wrote in message
> > om...
> > > My beloved 74 lime green love bug is making a strange noise. Can any
> > > of you experts out there give me a heads up on what it my be? When
> > > starting from cold it has a tick tick tick noise. Once warm the noise
> > > is not noticeable. The sound reminds me of almost like the sound of an
> > > electrical spark as two wires are touched. Its more like a pop sound.
> > > I tuned the engine & it runs nicely & idals well. Thanks for any
> > > help! Also the car is driven about 100 miles a year.

> I have adjusted the valves. the noise was there before the adjustment
> & after. A friend with more experience with these things suspected the
> fuel pump.
>
> Thanks for all the advice!!!

Check the distributor shaft where the points ride it. If it's dry, it
makes a whining "ticking" noise that could fit the description. Lube the
shaft lobes lightly with something sticky.

Jan
Old December 23rd 04, 03:15 PM

"jjs" > wrote:
> wrote in message ...
>
>> I have a similar noise and it comes from the manifold heating tube. It has

>> a small
>> hole on it. It took me a while to find it and now I don't know want to do.

>> To replace
>> it I have to pull out the engine. Any ideas on a easy fix?

>If you mean the heat riser to the carb, you sure don't have to pull the
>engine.

But I have to remove a lot of staff and I was told that was easier to pull engine.
Do you know how to do that with the engine in? I also have a oil leak and may be
I will do at once. I never pull the engine off so I don’t know if I will try that.
The jack that I have is a small one (2T) and I really don’t know if I go for it.

Joao
Old December 23rd 04, 03:49 PM
jjs

Old December 23rd 04, 04:08 PM

"jjs" > wrote:
>"jjs" > wrote in message
>
>> If you mean the heat riser to the carb, you sure don't have to pull the

>> engine.

>Following my own post because I won't be here to follow up. (Looking at an
>
>ice-bike in a few minutes. Hooo Rah for sub-zero sports!)
>
>If it's the carb heating riser, just get a two-piece replacement. Cut the
>
>old one with a hacksaw, unbolt it, remove it and replace. You will have to
>
>take some things off to give you wiggle-room, but you do not have to drop
>
>the engine.

two-piece replacement?!?!? were to find them. I never saw this parts.

Joao