Brake issues

Old July 16th 07, 10:53 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Brian[_23_]

Default Brake issues

I have a 1979 Vette and I have an issue with the brakes. At one time I
had brakes and I had all new pads put on as I was having the entire
car serviced. I put a new left front caliper on and I had good brakes
for about two to three months. I drove the car to Virginia to put it
in my families garage as I was getting deployed to Iraq for one year.
As I was driving the car to Virginia about 200 miles into the trip I
went to pull off and get gas when the brakes failed s the pedal went
to the floor. After my deployment I brought it back home, in DE, where
I replaced the master cylinder, and the left front caliper and I bled
all the brakes and bench bled the master cylinder and I still am
unable to get pedal. All calipers are expelling fluid as I bleed them
and I realize that there are 2 bleeders in the rear calipers. I am
having issues with the fluid coming out of the new caliper but the
flex hose has fluid coming out before I put it on the caliper and I
can not get any pedal at all. The brake light continues to stay on and
I checked to see if I had a bad booster but it seems to be alright as
I removed the hose and there is suction and the the brakes get hard
until I put the hose back on and the brakes go soft again. Can anyone
help me with this issue? Any ideas? Thanks. Brian

Old July 17th 07, 01:37 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Bob G.[_2_]

On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 14:53:33 -0700, Brian >
wrote:

>I have a 1979 Vette and I have an issue with the brakes. At one time I
>had brakes and I had all new pads put on as I was having the entire
>car serviced. I put a new left front caliper on and I had good brakes
>for about two to three months. I drove the car to Virginia to put it
>in my families garage as I was getting deployed to Iraq for one year.
>As I was driving the car to Virginia about 200 miles into the trip I
>went to pull off and get gas when the brakes failed s the pedal went
>to the floor. After my deployment I brought it back home, in DE, where
>I replaced the master cylinder, and the left front caliper and I bled
>all the brakes and bench bled the master cylinder and I still am
>unable to get pedal. All calipers are expelling fluid as I bleed them
>and I realize that there are 2 bleeders in the rear calipers. I am
>having issues with the fluid coming out of the new caliper but the
>flex hose has fluid coming out before I put it on the caliper and I
>can not get any pedal at all. The brake light continues to stay on and
>I checked to see if I had a bad booster but it seems to be alright as
>I removed the hose and there is suction and the the brakes get hard
>until I put the hose back on and the brakes go soft again. Can anyone
>help me with this issue? Any ideas? Thanks. Brian

Brian
Have you had ALL the calibers checked..?
I have a funny feeling you have one or more that are sucking air into
the system.. and it is NOT at all uncommon especially if they sit
unused for a short period of time...

Bob G.
64 72 & 98 Ragtops
76 & 79 Coupes

Old July 17th 07, 05:11 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Tom in Missouri

Hi Brian,

First, thanks for your service to our country.

Second, try writing in paragraphs, as it makes it a lot easier to follow
what you are saying.

Third, Corvette brakes are notorious for going bad while sitting. Driving
them all the time cures a lot of brake problems. However, once bad, they
don't cure themselves.

If you have replaced the calipers with stainless steel sleeved calipers,
then you have gone the first step.

How old are all the flex hoses? If they are unknown or more than a few
years, replace them so we can start with a known good quantity. Hoses tend
to come apart inside and look great outside, but they act like one-way
valves and mess up the braking.

Replacing the master cylinder may have created a problem for you. The
adjustment on the pushrod on the master cylinder from the booster is
critical. It has to make contact when the MC is installed so that you do
not have wasted motion in the depressing the pedal but it MUST NOT depress
the piston at all as this begins to close the rear ports on the MC. This
adjustment can take awhile to do, as you need to adjust so that you can
slide the MC into position until you feel the rod contact the MC piston but
you can still slide it all the way flush with the booster without the piston
moving.

There are many ways to bleed the system, but my personal favorite is gravity
bleeding. Put the car on jackstands, remove all four wheels, and begin.

Open a bleeder on the right rear and wait until fluid begins to run. Check
for bubbles, and after you are sure it is clear, open the other bleeder on
the same caliper. The bleeders are only on top. The lower end should have
the brake line and a plug, although some people insert a bleed screw there.

Repeat this with the left.

Do the same on the front. You can do both ends at once, as they are separate
circuits, however, a '79 uses a common reservoir so you have to watch that
it doesn't go empty on you.

After new hoses, you may not get any fluid for a long time, as the lines are
empty. For a fresh system or one that has been drained, and I don't want to
wait all day and night, I start with the common old pump, pump, pump, bleed
method.

Have a friend pump the pedal a few times, then crack open the bleeder. Be
sure to close it before his foot hits the bottom. Repeat until you get
fluid.

Then repeat this from each bleeder, starting right rear, left rear, right
front, and left front.

Then go back and do the gravity bleed on the entire car.

ups.com...

Old July 17th 07, 07:07 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Tom in Missouri

I got interrupted on my last note and forgot all about the calipers.

If you have stainless steel sleeved calipers, then you may have to just put
in a set of seals. You can get these from various brake places like Vette
Brakes and Products, Stainless Steel Caliper Corp, Muskegon Brakes, and
others for around $35 a set.

Unfortunately, the weak part is the pistons. They tend to corrode in the
grooves where the seals go. You can sometimes clean these enough with a
wire wheel to get them to seal, but depending on the age and the corrosion,
you may have to replace pistons.

Most would tell you to trade your calipers in for a fresh set of SS sleeved
calipers, but a set of SS sleeved are not cores and will not be accepted.
So you are better off rebuilding your own if that is the case.

Good luck, it really sounds harder than it is.

ink.net...

Old July 18th 07, 01:20 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Brian[_23_]

On Jul 16, 7:37 pm, Bob G. <rg327_remove_comcast.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 14:53:33 -0700, Brian >
> wrote:
>

> >I have a 1979 Vette and I have an issue with the brakes. At one time I
> >had brakes and I had all new pads put on as I was having the entire
> >car serviced. I put a new left front caliper on and I had good brakes
> >for about two to three months. I drove the car to Virginia to put it
> >in my families garage as I was getting deployed to Iraq for one year.
> >As I was driving the car to Virginia about 200 miles into the trip I
> >went to pull off and get gas when the brakes failed s the pedal went
> >to the floor. After my deployment I brought it back home, in DE, where
> >I replaced the master cylinder, and the left front caliper and I bled
> >all the brakes and bench bled the master cylinder and I still am
> >unable to get pedal. All calipers are expelling fluid as I bleed them
> >and I realize that there are 2 bleeders in the rear calipers. I am
> >having issues with the fluid coming out of the new caliper but the
> >flex hose has fluid coming out before I put it on the caliper and I
> >can not get any pedal at all. The brake light continues to stay on and
> >I checked to see if I had a bad booster but it seems to be alright as
> >I removed the hose and there is suction and the the brakes get hard
> >until I put the hose back on and the brakes go soft again. Can anyone
> >help me with this issue? Any ideas? Thanks. Brian

> Brian
> Have you had ALL the calibers checked..?
> I have a funny feeling you have one or more that are sucking air into
> the system.. and it is NOT at all uncommon especially if they sit
> unused for a short period of time...
>
> Bob G.
> 64 72 & 98 Ragtops
> 76 & 79 Coupes- Hide quoted text -

Sir, The only thing I did was pull off all of the wheels and look
for leaks and I did not see any spots except for the one that I
replaced. You are correct though, it seems that I can not get a solid
steady stream of fluid without getting air pockets as it seems to be
alright until I do it one more time to make sure all the air is out
but it is really hard to tell if I did a good enough job bleeding the
brakes. I can not seem to find any leaks but there must be something.
I am not really sure what to do next as I am perplexed. I am very
mechanically inclined but this is kicking my butt. Any suggestions on
how to check the system for air leaks other than the obvious? Thanks
for your help and info, it is much appreciated. Brian

Old July 19th 07, 12:54 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Kickstart[_1_]

>I have a 1979 Vette and I have an issue with the brakes. At one time I
> had brakes and I had all new pads put on as I was having the entire
> car serviced. I put a new left front caliper on and I had good brakes
> for about two to three months.

I think I would start at the new caliper, it may be defective.
Look for blockage and leaks
that seems to be when your problems started
kickstart