95 Odyssey burning 2 qts per oil change ??

Old November 15th 04, 05:26 PM
Chuck Connell

Default 95 Odyssey burning 2 qts per oil change ??

Hi all,

My Odyssey, with only about 75K miles, is going through almost 2 qts of oil
per change (every 3000m). So that is about 1 qt of oil per 1500 miles. This
seems excessive to me. The car runs fine and there is no obvious oil in the
exhaust smoke. Is this something to worry about? The dealer told me last
year that one qt per oil change was OK, but now it is getting worse....

TIA,
Chuck Connell
781-939-0505 (office)
http://www.chc-3.com -- My home page

Old November 15th 04, 05:45 PM
motsco_ _

Chuck Connell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> My Odyssey, with only about 75K miles, is going through almost 2 qts of oil
> per change (every 3000m). So that is about 1 qt of oil per 1500 miles. This
> seems excessive to me. The car runs fine and there is no obvious oil in the
> exhaust smoke. Is this something to worry about? The dealer told me last
> year that one qt per oil change was OK, but now it is getting worse....
>
> TIA,
> Chuck Connell
> 781-939-0505 (office)
> http://www.chc-3.com -- My home page

-----------------------------

That's not really bad, Chuck, but you might find your PCV is stuck open
.. . . It will suck the vapour out of the crankcase like crazy and burn
it invisibly.

Our '95 ody had PCV issues too.

'Curly'

Old November 15th 04, 06:25 PM
Caroline

"motsco_ _" <"motsco_ > wrote
> Chuck Connell wrote:
> > My Odyssey, with only about 75K miles, is going through

almost 2 qts of oil
> > per change (every 3000m). So that is about 1 qt of oil per

1500 miles. This
> > seems excessive to me. The car runs fine and there is no

obvious oil in the
> > exhaust smoke. Is this something to worry about? The dealer

told me last
> > year that one qt per oil change was OK, but now it is getting

worse....

> That's not really bad, Chuck, but you might find your PCV is

stuck open
> . . . It will suck the vapour out of the crankcase like crazy

and burn
> it invisibly.
>
> Our '95 ody had PCV issues too.

To bark further up the PCV valve tree--

How's the fuel mileage? Have you noticed a lot of oil on the
lower part of the engine exterior? Oil dripping on the garage
floor, maybe? There really should be none.

A malfunctioning PCV valve can reduce engine efficiency notably.
If, instead of the valve being stuck open, it's actually clogged,
then this may compromise various oil seals, allowing the oil to
leak out.

Old November 15th 04, 10:43 PM
Woody

Also what kind of oil are you using. Some seem to evaporate over time.

link.net...