96 Exhaust recomendations

Old March 4th 06, 06:13 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Default 96 Exhaust recomendations

Hey ya all I just purchased a 1996 LT4, I am looking to replace the current
exhaust system with something that sounds better, along with more horse
power. Stock is too mild and glass packs are too loud. I have looked at
Corsa, Flowmaster, ect........ or should I just go a muffler shop and have
one customized. any opinions would be helpful Thanks

Old March 4th 06, 09:50 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 17:13:09 GMT, "Kevin Livengood"
> wrote:

>Hey ya all I just purchased a 1996 LT4, I am looking to replace the current
>exhaust system with something that sounds better, along with more horse
>power. Stock is too mild and glass packs are too loud. I have looked at
>Corsa, Flowmaster, ect........ or should I just go a muffler shop and have
>one customized. any opinions would be helpful Thanks

=================
I just sold me 95 ...
But shortly after I purchsed it I was all set to install a power
effects exhaust system....I removed the two rear mufflers and on a
whim fired the car up without any mufflers on it at all.... Returned
the power effect system and thru on a pair of exhaust eliminators for
about 100 bucks... Ran the car that way for years...

Honestly not bad...Resonance really never bothered me or my wife..
normal conversation in the cockpit ...quiet at idle BUT under heavy
throddle it sounded good...

BEFORE you "invest" in an aftermarket system...do your self a favor
and at least drive the car without "any" mufflers...

Of Course you may have much better ears then I do... but you have
noting to loose... Car went thru many emission tests and always
passed with no problems without the mufflers.

Bob G
64 72 & 98 Ragtops
76 & 79 Coupes...

Old March 4th 06, 10:01 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Bob G. wrote:
> On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 17:13:09 GMT, "Kevin Livengood"
> > wrote:
>

>>Hey ya all I just purchased a 1996 LT4, I am looking to replace the current
>>exhaust system with something that sounds better, along with more horse
>>power. Stock is too mild and glass packs are too loud. I have looked at
>>Corsa, Flowmaster, ect........ or should I just go a muffler shop and have
>>one customized. any opinions would be helpful Thanks
>>

> =================
> I just sold me 95 ...
> But shortly after I purchsed it I was all set to install a power
> effects exhaust system....I removed the two rear mufflers and on a
> whim fired the car up without any mufflers on it at all.... Returned
> the power effect system and thru on a pair of exhaust eliminators for
> about 100 bucks... Ran the car that way for years...
>
> Honestly not bad...Resonance really never bothered me or my wife..
> normal conversation in the cockpit ...quiet at idle BUT under heavy
> throddle it sounded good...
>
> BEFORE you "invest" in an aftermarket system...do your self a favor
> and at least drive the car without "any" mufflers...
>
> Of Course you may have much better ears then I do... but you have
> noting to loose... Car went thru many emission tests and always
> passed with no problems without the mufflers.
>
> Bob G
> 64 72 & 98 Ragtops
> 76 & 79 Coupes...

I have s Sebring (made in Austria) system on my '00. It is not too loud
but it sounds much better than the stock exhaust. It is too bad that the
manufacturers web sites do not have a recording of how a car will sound.
Old March 4th 06, 10:08 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

C4's are very very tricky to get a decent sound out of with resonance
being a big issue.

I recommend staying away from the B&B TriFlow cat back system...
I paid the big money for the stainless system and it sounded like total CRAP
and resonated sooo bad everything inside the car buzzed at 1100-1500 rpm..
Loud droning unappealing sound at idle and then got quiet with an annoying
whooshing vacuum cleaner sound when you romped on it... UGGGH

Sent it right back.

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler

http://www.pcola.gulf.net/~ricseyler
remove –SPAM- from email address
--------------------------------------
"Homer no function beer well without."
- H.J. Simpson

Old March 4th 06, 11:29 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Kevin Livengood wrote:
> Hey ya all I just purchased a 1996 LT4, I am looking to replace the current
> exhaust system with something that sounds better, along with more horse
> power. Stock is too mild and glass packs are too loud. I have looked at
> Corsa, Flowmaster, ect........ or should I just go a muffler shop and have
> one customized. any opinions would be helpful Thanks

C4 exhaust mods behave differently on coupes and convertibles. I found
the Flowmasters nice at idle and with windows down on the street. Way
too much drone above between 65 and 75 mph.

Suggestion: fly before you buy -- find someone in a local club with same
body type as yours and ask for a quick ride on the street and at highway
speed.

--
…PJ
’89 HookerCar, ’02 E-blu 6-spd Coupe