Hanging air freshener badly marked up center console

Old August 16th 05, 02:33 PM
MegaC

Default Hanging air freshener badly marked up center console

Hi All,

I have a weird problem. I have a 2001 Honda Civic DX in MINT shape.
As you know, there aren't a lot of places to hang stuff, so when I
bought this hanging air freshener, I hung it from one of the plastic
vents in the centre instrument console. After a few days being in the
sun, I notice that where the air freshener was contacting the console
plastic now has this sticky residue on it. I tried scrapping it off,
but it marked up the console. It then dried and now it looks awful
with all my scratch marks in it. I tried using WD-40 to remove the
(now dried) shiny residue, but nothing happens. Short of taking a
brush and scrubbing the residue off, what options are there?

Has anyone had this problem?

Help!!

Derek

Old August 16th 05, 05:29 PM

"MegaC" > wrote in news:1124199200.392029.237970
@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
i take it you didn't read the warning on the air freshner? they usually
say avoid contact with surfaces. either way, I know coleman camp fuel
works well at removing sticky residues, but I'm not sure how it would
react to the dash material. you could try in an inconspicuous spot first
i suppose. you could also try rubbing alcohol

Old August 17th 05, 02:36 PM
Dan Beaton

There are a number of commercial adhesive removers. One is Goo Gone.
Try your local hardware or automotive parts store.
Dan

(This account is not used for email.)

Old August 18th 05, 05:12 AM
chibitul

"you could also try rubbing alcohol"

I did this once when I installed a CD player in my 2001 Civic LX. I got
some nasty white film and spots on the black plastic frame, I was so
****ed off! but then I wiped it with an Armorall wipe (or was it Arm
and Hammer???), one of those pre-miostened wipes for cleaning the dash
and it's like it never happened!

so if you try running alcohol, have some wipes handy.

Old August 18th 05, 04:59 PM
yahmed

Regarding the Armerall / Arm and Hammer? wipes, there was a discussion
that one should not use them as it dry the dash plastic and you end up
getting scratches.

My question is how long will it take for the dash to dry up and
scratches to appear? Is it years of continous use? and what is the
frequency?

Is it worth using these now for an Accord 1993? When the car may have
the life of 3-4 years remaning.

Thank you

Old August 19th 05, 04:24 AM
slim

yahmed wrote:

> Regarding the Armerall / Arm and Hammer? wipes, there was a discussion
> that one should not use them as it dry the dash plastic and you end up
> getting scratches.
>
> My question is how long will it take for the dash to dry up and
> scratches to appear? Is it years of continous use? and what is the
> frequency?
>
> Is it worth using these now for an Accord 1993? When the car may have
> the life of 3-4 years remaning.

I have used regular style Armor All on every non-cloth/carpet surface
on the inside of my 96 Civic coupe since I have it and everything
still looks great!

I apply a VERY generous coat to the top of the dash and the area behind
the seats and a good moist coat to everything else in the early spring,
midsummer and fall (after cleaning the surfaces, of course).

No cracks, everything shines, people are amazed my car is 9 years old.

--

"I'm the commander -- see, I don't need to explain --
I do not need to explain why I say things. That's the
Old August 19th 05, 04:25 AM
slim

MegaC wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have a weird problem. I have a 2001 Honda Civic DX in MINT shape.
> As you know, there aren't a lot of places to hang stuff, so when I
> bought this hanging air freshener, I hung it from one of the plastic
> vents in the centre instrument console. After a few days being in the
> sun, I notice that where the air freshener was contacting the console
> plastic now has this sticky residue on it. I tried scrapping it off,
> but it marked up the console. It then dried and now it looks awful
> with all my scratch marks in it. I tried using WD-40 to remove the
> (now dried) shiny residue, but nothing happens. Short of taking a
> brush and scrubbing the residue off, what options are there?

Question:

Is the goo just residue from the offending item, or has the
console plastic itself deteriorated?

Old August 19th 05, 04:38 AM
SoCalMike

slim wrote:

> I have used regular style Armor All on every non-cloth/carpet surface
> on the inside of my 96 Civic coupe since I have it and everything
> still looks great!

wiping with a damp cloth every once in a while works, too. thats what
ive done to my 98, since new. i like the matte finish on the dash, though.

> I apply a VERY generous coat to the top of the dash and the area behind
> the seats and a good moist coat to everything else in the early spring,
> midsummer and fall (after cleaning the surfaces, of course).

and youre stuck doing it, forever. and it attracts a ****load of dust if
you use too much.

> No cracks, everything shines, people are amazed my car is 9 years old.

mines 7, still matte, still factory fresh!