1962 corvette concern.

Old February 2nd 14, 01:54 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Default 1962 corvette concern.

Hi guys,

Question 1:
I am looking at buying a 1962 corvette. It had a frame off restore in 1989 and paint job(Honduras Maroon). It is in good shape, with just some minor scratches and stuff. The engine (1965) and transmission are not matching numbers. I am going to need to work on the front right breaks as it pulls to the right.

Is $41k a good price for a 1962 in "good" condition with out knowing how many miles are on the engine?

Question 2:
This is the first time i got a good look at a 1962 corvette. I was surprised when I looked inside the front tire well and there is nothing that protects the underside of the painted fiberglass from rocks. I can see the back side of the headlights when I look around the front tire. Is that right or is the car missing the front wheel wells or something?

I found a photo of a 1962 corvette that has been in an accident. This photo shows that there is nothing above the front tire. (This is not the care I am looking at buying)

http://www.readytofix.com/Photos/196...ration_Red.jpg

Thanks for your help and advice.

Old February 5th 14, 09:42 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
PDDeen

On Sunday, February 2, 2014 5:54:58 AM UTC-7, Randall Cole wrote:
> Hi guys,
>

> Question 1:
>
> I am looking at buying a 1962 corvette. It had a frame off restore in 1989 and paint job(Honduras Maroon). It is in good shape, with just some minor scratches and stuff. The engine (1965) and transmission are not matching numbers. I am going to need to work on the front right breaks as it pulls to the right.
>

> Is $41k a good price for a 1962 in "good" condition with out knowing how many miles are on the engine?
>

> Question 2:
>
> This is the first time i got a good look at a 1962 corvette. I was surprised when I looked inside the front tire well and there is nothing that protects the underside of the painted fiberglass from rocks. I can see the back side of the headlights when I look around the front tire. Is that right or is the car missing the front wheel wells or something?

There are no inner fender panels. That is the reason that the fenders are susceptible to having "Stars" in the paint on top from rocks being thrown up by the tires. This is true for the rear also.

PDDeen

Old February 7th 14, 12:39 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
uncle_vito

> wrote in message
>Hi guys,

>Question 1:
>I am looking at buying a 1962 corvette. It had a frame off restore in 1989
>and paint job(Honduras Maroon). It is in good shape, >with just some
>minor scratches and stuff. The engine (1965) and transmission are not
>matching numbers. I am going to need to >work on the front right breaks as
>it pulls to the right.

>Is $41k a good price for a 1962 in "good" condition with out knowing how
>many miles are on the engine?

>Question 2:
>This is the first time i got a good look at a 1962 corvette. I was
>surprised when I looked inside the front tire well and there is >nothing
>that protects the underside of the painted fiberglass from rocks. I can
>see the back side of the headlights when I look >around the front tire. Is
>that right or is the car missing the front wheel wells or something?

>I found a photo of a 1962 corvette that has been in an accident. This
>photo shows that there is nothing above the front tire. >(This is not
>the care I am looking at buying)

>http://www.readytofix.com/Photos/196...ration_Red.jpg

>Thanks for your help and advice.

This your first Corvette? Since it is not matching numbers, it is a
driver. Be sure to NOT PAY TOO MUCH. My first Corvette was a 64 which I
still have and was not matching numbers. Luckily I did not pay too much
but I did not pay too little either. Live and learn. If you are a
fanatic like I was 23 years ago when I got my 64, you will spend hours
reading books, buying parts, and tinkering with your car. I found things
right, found things wrong, made things right, found things not worth making
right, found things not right but could not figure out why, etc. Saw
values go up, values go down, saw similar cars at the swap meet asking way
too much just sit. got bored and my car just sat. etc. Bought and sold
another Vette in the mean time. etc. These guys that spend $100k on the
'perfect vette' are taking a risk that you would not believe. Never get in
that camp unless you are worth $3M and can reliably check out the numbers
YOURSELF. Otherwise buy the cheapest vette you can that is in good working
order and looks good. You will not be sorry. Save the get rich quick
schemes for real estate and the stock market.

To whom it may concern....,,,,,. Hughes TrollKiller of scums 24bit & squarewheel Old Timers Photos 0 July 18th 09 10:09 PM
STALLING CONCERN CRUZMASTER11 Technology 0 February 19th 07 01:44 PM
oil pressure concern jjjoseph Corvette 4 June 18th 06 07:10 AM
Odometer concern Jeannette Hilgert Honda 7 October 28th 04 12:42 AM
New Top Concern/Issue Pat Dreiding Mazda 2 September 25th 04 02:59 PM