No handbrake on S4?!????

Old March 7th 11, 09:50 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
laurentien

Default No handbrake on S4?!????

On Mar 4, 8:53*pm, D. LaCourse > wrote:
> On 2011-03-02 22:28:23 -0500, AD > said:
>
> > are you kidding me?
> >http://www.windingroad.com/articles/...e-2011-audi-s4
> > how do you start going whithout rolling back when sitting uphill?
> > (Think san francisco)

> There's a handbrake. *It's a button (electronic rather than
> mechanical). *Have driven in San Francisco and never used my hand brake
> on a hill.
>
> Dave
> RS6

I do not like the idea of having an mechatronical button for
handbrake.
I prefer the classical mechanical handbrake because, you can use it to
get your car to a stop even when energy is turned off.
I do not think that these new cars have that capacity.

Secondly, in wintery or wet conditions, you can improve car
performance and handling using the handbrake wisely.

In the past, safety rules were asking for a completely mechanical mean
for stopping your car overidding everything else
since mechatronical systems do not show enough reliability to be
considered sufficiently safe.
Lexus knows very well the problems with too much mechatronics around
the car which have led to many casualties.

Well, well, I do not know how this one went through the certification
process in the EU or USA ?

LHR
Old March 7th 11, 02:42 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
D. LaCourse

On 2011-03-07 03:50:16 -0500, laurentien > said:

> On Mar 4, 8:53*pm, D. LaCourse > wrote:
>> On 2011-03-02 22:28:23 -0500, AD > said:
>>
>>> are you kidding me?
>>> http://www.windingroad.com/articles/...e-2011-audi-s4
>>> how do you start going whithout rolling back when sitting uphill?
>>> (Think san francisco)

>> There's a handbrake. *It's a button (electronic rather than
>> mechanical). *Have driven in San Francisco and never used my hand brake
>> on a hill.
>>
>> Dave
>> RS6

> I do not like the idea of having an mechatronical button for
> handbrake.
> I prefer the classical mechanical handbrake because, you can use it to
> get your car to a stop even when energy is turned off.
> I do not think that these new cars have that capacity.
>
> Secondly, in wintery or wet conditions, you can improve car
> performance and handling using the handbrake wisely.
>
> In the past, safety rules were asking for a completely mechanical mean
> for stopping your car overidding everything else
> since mechatronical systems do not show enough reliability to be
> considered sufficiently safe.
> Lexus knows very well the problems with too much mechatronics around
> the car which have led to many casualties.
>
> Well, well, I do not know how this one went through the certification
> process in the EU or USA ?
>
> LHR

Amen. The mechanical-pull-a-lever handbrake allowed some "feeling" to
the process. I am assuming, however, that by pushing the button you
are applying the handbrake at its maximum effort. While I have used
the handbrake while ice racing my 93 S4, I think I would shy away from
it on public roads especially in traffic. Remember, rolling friction
is better than static friction.

Dave
RS6

Old March 7th 11, 03:35 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Steve Thompson

On Sun, 6 Mar 2011, Pete wrote:

> On 3/4/2011 9:06 PM, Kevin McMurtrie wrote:
>> There's an incline sensor in the car that holds the brakes on until it
>> thinks there's enough torque to move forwards.

> Even on cars equipped with manual trans??

Yes, even with manual transmission. My A4 is manual; you can apply the
brakes on a hill with the button, and then pull away without further
reference to the button; it turns itself off.

Steve
Old March 9th 11, 08:43 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Steve Daniels

On Mon, 7 Mar 2011 09:35:45 -0500, against all advice, something
compelled Steve Thompson >, to say:

> On Sun, 6 Mar 2011, Pete wrote:
>
> > On 3/4/2011 9:06 PM, Kevin McMurtrie wrote:
> >> There's an incline sensor in the car that holds the brakes on until it
> >> thinks there's enough torque to move forwards.

> > Even on cars equipped with manual trans??

> Yes, even with manual transmission. My A4 is manual; you can apply the
> brakes on a hill with the button, and then pull away without further
> reference to the button; it turns itself off.

That is so cool.

Old March 18th 11, 03:59 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
AD[_2_]

On Mar 9, 9:43*am, Steve Daniels > wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Mar 2011 09:35:45 -0500, against all advice, something
> compelled Steve Thompson >, to say:
>
> > * * On Sun, 6 Mar 2011, Pete wrote:

> > * * > On 3/4/2011 9:06 PM, Kevin McMurtrie wrote:
> > * * >> There's an incline sensor in the car that holds the brakes on until it
> > * * >> thinks there's enough torque to move forwards.

> > * * > Even on cars equipped with manual trans??

> > * * Yes, even with manual transmission. My A4 is manual; you can apply the
> > * * brakes on a hill with the button, and then pull away without further
> > * * reference to the button; it turns itself off.

> That is so cool.

Until you want to swat the tail around on ice that is.
Say BMW-any-day if you are in sunbelt states. Alas, I'm in the snow
and there's a freaky diesel popping out of every hole while I,
envisioning the repair bill
for diesel, want a 2.4L 6 pot manual A6 quattro. Sigh.

Speaking of which, are you folk in the states able to order any beemer/
audi from germany
or only the engine/transmission combinations that went past the EPA
hounds?
Old March 18th 11, 04:00 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
AD[_2_]

On Mar 7, 4:35*pm, Steve Thompson > wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Mar 2011, Pete wrote:
> > On 3/4/2011 9:06 PM, Kevin McMurtrie wrote:
> >> There's an incline sensor in the car that holds the brakes on until it
> >> thinks there's enough torque to move forwards.

> > Even on cars equipped with manual trans??

> Yes, even with manual transmission. My A4 is manual; you can apply the
> brakes on a hill with the button, and then pull away without further
> reference to the button; it turns itself off.

You are still able to roll backwards down the hill with the clutch in
should you choose to do that, is that right?
(handbrake off)
Old March 19th 11, 12:41 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
D. LaCourse

On 2011-03-18 10:59:25 -0400, AD > said:

> On Mar 9, 9:43*am, Steve Daniels > wrote:
>> On Mon, 7 Mar 2011 09:35:45 -0500, against all advice, something
>> compelled Steve Thompson >, to say:
>>
>>> * * On Sun, 6 Mar 2011, Pete wrote:

>>> * * > On 3/4/2011 9:06 PM, Kevin McMurtrie wrote:
>>> * * >> There's an incline sensor in the car that holds the brakes o

> n until it
>>> * * >> thinks there's enough torque to move forwards.

>>> * * > Even on cars equipped with manual trans??

>>> * * Yes, even with manual transmission. My A4 is manual; you can ap

> ply the
>>> * * brakes on a hill with the button, and then pull away without fu

> rther
>>> * * reference to the button; it turns itself off.

>> That is so cool.

> Until you want to swat the tail around on ice that is.
> Say BMW-any-day if you are in sunbelt states. Alas, I'm in the snow
> and there's a freaky diesel popping out of every hole while I,
> envisioning the repair bill
> for diesel, want a 2.4L 6 pot manual A6 quattro. Sigh.
>
> Speaking of which, are you folk in the states able to order any beemer/
> audi from germany
> or only the engine/transmission combinations that went past the EPA
> hounds?

You can order an Audi or BMW from Germany, even go over there and
accept delivery. However, it will be a car built for USA specs.

Dave (who stands)

d;o)

Old March 19th 11, 02:00 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Steve Thompson

On Fri, 18 Mar 2011, AD wrote:

> You are still able to roll backwards down the hill with the clutch in
> should you choose to do that, is that right? (handbrake off)

Yes.
Old March 21st 11, 10:26 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
AD[_2_]

On Mar 19, 1:41*am, D. LaCourse > wrote:
> On 2011-03-18 10:59:25 -0400, AD > said:
>

> > On Mar 9, 9:43*am, Steve Daniels > wrote:
> >> On Mon, 7 Mar 2011 09:35:45 -0500, against all advice, something
> >> compelled Steve Thompson >, to say:

> > n until it

> > ply the

> > rther

> >> That is so cool.

> > Until you want to swat the tail around on ice that is.
> > Say BMW-any-day if you are in sunbelt states. Alas, I'm in the snow
> > and there's a freaky diesel popping out of every hole while I,
> > envisioning the repair bill
> > for diesel, want a 2.4L 6 pot manual A6 quattro. Sigh.

> > Speaking of which, are you folk in the states able to order any beemer/
> > audi from germany
> > or only the engine/transmission combinations that went past the EPA
> > hounds?

> You can order an Audi or BMW from Germany, even go over there and
> accept delivery. *However, it will be a car built for USA specs.

Crap. That negates the advantage of buying a euro spec A6 quattro with
2.4 liter normally aspirated engine
with a 5/6 speed manual. Drove a V8 A6 (in the states), 2.5TDi A6
(locally) and 1.8T A4 (us). All nice cars,
but I just could not get myself over driving an automatic and the
prices for euro spec used
cars are skyrocketing here now.
Old April 22nd 11, 09:09 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
AD[_2_]

On Mar 5, 9:21*pm, Wolfgang Pawlinetz > wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Mar 2011 20:06:51 -0500, D. LaCourse >
> wrote:
>
> >It probably locks up the rear wheels (as most vehicles do, with
> >exception of old Saabs {don't know about the new ones}). *Lock up the
> >rear wheels at 50mph and you will rotate. *And it ain't gonna be fun! *
> >You will also flat bottom your tires, and they will go thump, thump,
> >thump. *d;o( *Pulling the handbrake is a wonderful way to help you make
> >turns while ice racing.

> >However, I imagine it is idiot proof; push the button above a certain
> >speed and nothing happens.

> Just took over my 2011 A6 Avant (not the new style).
>
> The dealer say it is an emergency braking function as well for the
> passenger. Have yet to read back in the manual in detail if that is
> true, but I I think I read something like that.
>
> I.e. as long as you keep the button pulled up it will brake all 4
> wheels!
>
> At any speed. And the braking is supposedly spectacular, ahemm.
>
> In addition the ABS sensors and the ESP will try to keep the car
> straight and in line until it comes to a full stop.

Ok, they could just as well have duped the function with a lever
braking just the rear wheels.
Could've been purely mechanical cable or hydraulic thing too.
Button+electircs for the lazy bums and emergency stops, lever going
the purely mechanical route for fun.
To save costs they could've just retained the lever on the cars with
manual transmissions.

Saturn SL1 Handbrake [email protected] Technology 0 June 21st 07 04:32 AM
Poor E39 handbrake. Mike G BMW 23 November 30th 06 01:47 AM
Handbrake adjustment Braz Chrysler 4 April 25th 05 09:52 PM
New handbrake idea. Shotokan General 0 February 8th 05 10:49 AM
Handbrake light Gez Draycott Mazda 2 January 30th 05 06:06 PM