16" rims: barring 215/55-16 would 225/50R16 or 205/55R16 work better?

Old March 22nd 11, 10:51 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Body Roll

Default 16" rims: barring 215/55-16 would 225/50R16 or 205/55R16 work better?

winter is almost over here and
I'm pondering summer tire choices for the upcoming 2003 A4 us spec
1.8T wagon (manual)

there's no 215/55R16 Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec
and i'm not willing to go to 17" just to get that particular ti 17"
tires
are more expensive and suspension damage potential on local potholes
is higher => still more
unwanted expense.

Would 225/50R16 work better than 205/55R16 on 16" rims or the latter
would be too small?

And btw did that car come with 15" or 16" rims?

tnx
Old March 22nd 11, 10:00 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
D. LaCourse

On 2011-03-22 05:51:04 -0400, Body Roll > said:

> winter is almost over here and
> I'm pondering summer tire choices for the upcoming 2003 A4 us spec
> 1.8T wagon (manual)
>
> there's no 215/55R16 Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec
> and i'm not willing to go to 17" just to get that particular ti 17"
> tires
> are more expensive and suspension damage potential on local potholes
> is higher => still more
> unwanted expense.
>
> Would 225/50R16 work better than 205/55R16 on 16" rims or the latter
> would be too small?
>
> And btw did that car come with 15" or 16" rims?
>
> tnx

You shouldn't have to worry about pot-hole damage with 17 inch wheels.
Size 18 and 19 inch, probably, but not 17. Best bet is to go to a tire
store and ask them what wheel/tire combo will fit your car. I put 19
inch BBSs on my RS6 and damaged a wheel on pot hole on an interestate.
I tried to have it repaired but the wheel repair shop wouldn't touch it
because of a crack. So, I had to buy another one (and a new tire).
d;o(

Dave

Old March 23rd 11, 05:46 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Anton Success

On Mar 22, 11:00*pm, D. LaCourse > wrote:
> On 2011-03-22 05:51:04 -0400, Body Roll > said:
>

> > winter is almost over here and
> > I'm pondering summer tire choices for the upcoming 2003 A4 us spec
> > 1.8T wagon (manual)

> > there's no 215/55R16 Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec
> > and i'm not willing to go to 17" just to get that particular ti 17"
> > tires
> > are more expensive and suspension damage potential on local potholes
> > is higher => still more
> > unwanted expense.

> > Would 225/50R16 work better than 205/55R16 on 16" rims or the latter
> > would be too small?

> > And btw did that car come with 15" or 16" rims?

> > tnx

> You shouldn't have to worry about pot-hole damage with 17 inch wheels. *
> Size 18 and 19 inch, probably, but not 17. *Best bet is to go to a tire

I've seen places about 4000-4500 miles out east where the area covered
with alphalt
is about %25 of the "paved" roadway. It looks more like swiss cheese
with 75% of the total area occupied by giant potholes
and it would've been much better if it was just gravel.
So trust me, I'm not talking about a US grade roads here
but some local rally-worthy roadways:
at times I was moving at about 30mph and that was only
due to a heavy duty suspension and tires with 70 sidewall. The rest of
the traffic was crawling to
the tune of 10mph or so. I had a sidewall blowout as a result of such
a "spirited driving" in that section
and one of the tires looks like a motorcycle tire now. It's anything
but flat

I would rather not subject [fragile] A4 front suspension to a test
like that but that's a scenario I do not want to exclude entirely.
So I would not go past 50 and I think 17" are calling for 235/45-17
which are making me a bit nervous.

Don't get me wrong: I LOVE sport suspension and the associated
short sidewalls, but in the context of the local roads and doubts in
A4
suspension longevity I have to pass on both.

> store and ask them what wheel/tire combo will fit your car. *I put 19
> inch BBSs on my RS6 and damaged a wheel on pot hole on an interestate. *
> I tried to have it repaired but the wheel repair shop wouldn't touch it
> because of a crack. *So, I had to buy another one (and a new tire). *
> d;o(

Does audi have any limits on difference in wear between all four tires
like subaru does
or you can pretty much replace them just on one axle or, as in your
case
just a single tire?

I assume here that your RS6 have some form of a torsen center diff.
Old March 23rd 11, 10:07 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
D. LaCourse

On 2011-03-23 12:46:01 -0400, Anton Success > said:

> On Mar 22, 11:00*pm, D. LaCourse > wrote:
>> On 2011-03-22 05:51:04 -0400, Body Roll > said:
>>

>>> winter is almost over here and
>>> I'm pondering summer tire choices for the upcoming 2003 A4 us spec
>>> 1.8T wagon (manual)

>>> there's no 215/55R16 Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec
>>> and i'm not willing to go to 17" just to get that particular ti 17"
>>> tires
>>> are more expensive and suspension damage potential on local potholes
>>> is higher => still more
>>> unwanted expense.

>>> Would 225/50R16 work better than 205/55R16 on 16" rims or the latter
>>> would be too small?

>>> And btw did that car come with 15" or 16" rims?

>>> tnx

>> You shouldn't have to worry about pot-hole damage with 17 inch wheels.

> *
>> Size 18 and 19 inch, probably, but not 17. *Best bet is to go to a tire

> I've seen places about 4000-4500 miles out east where the area covered
> with alphalt
> is about %25 of the "paved" roadway. It looks more like swiss cheese
> with 75% of the total area occupied by giant potholes
> and it would've been much better if it was just gravel.
> So trust me, I'm not talking about a US grade roads here
> but some local rally-worthy roadways:
> at times I was moving at about 30mph and that was only
> due to a heavy duty suspension and tires with 70 sidewall. The rest of
> the traffic was crawling to
> the tune of 10mph or so. I had a sidewall blowout as a result of such
> a "spirited driving" in that section
> and one of the tires looks like a motorcycle tire now. It's anything
> but flat
>
> I would rather not subject [fragile] A4 front suspension to a test
> like that but that's a scenario I do not want to exclude entirely.
> So I would not go past 50 and I think 17" are calling for 235/45-17
> which are making me a bit nervous.

An aspect ratio of 45 should not affect normal driving on *normal*
roads. How often does the original poster plan on driving on
*moonscape* New England roads? It stands to reason that if such a road
as you describe is encountered that you would lower your speed
*regardless* the aspect ratio. I have 100k miles on my RS6 with a
majority of it on Massachusetts/NH/ME roads. And I have been on a road
you described cursing all the time, but driving very carefully. My
wife and I rallied for several years in VT/NH/ME/CT/MA with cars that
included a Porsche 944, VW Quantum, and several Audis including the
first iteration of the S4. I had only one problem with a wheel/tire
and that happened when I went *off* the road and hit a stone destroying
the wheel of the Quantum.

> Don't get me wrong: I LOVE sport suspension and the associated
> short sidewalls, but in the context of the local roads and doubts in
> A4
> suspension longevity I have to pass on both.
>
>> store and ask them what wheel/tire combo will fit your car. *I put 19
>> inch BBSs on my RS6 and damaged a wheel on pot hole on an interestate.

> *
>> I tried to have it repaired but the wheel repair shop wouldn't touch it
>> because of a crack. *So, I had to buy another one (and a new tire). *
>> d;o(

> Does audi have any limits on difference in wear between all four tires
> like subaru does
> or you can pretty much replace them just on one axle or, as in your
> case
> just a single tire?

It depends on the wear. I had just put on 4 new Dunflops, so replacing
one tire was not a problem. However, in the past when the tires were
worn, I replaced all four if I had a flat. Best to check with your
Audi/tire dealer

Old March 23rd 11, 10:53 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Steve Daniels

On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 09:46:01 -0700 (PDT), against all advice,
something compelled Anton Success >, to say:

> Does audi have any limits on difference in wear between all four tires
> like subaru does

Yes. And the tolerances are tight.
Old March 29th 11, 10:32 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
AD[_2_]

On Mar 24, 12:53*am, Steve Daniels > wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 09:46:01 -0700 (PDT), against all advice,
> something compelled Anton Success >, to say:
>
> > * * Does audi have any limits on difference in wear between all four tires
> > * * like subaru does

> Yes. *And the tolerances are tight.

Noted. A4 1.8T avant with reputably evenly worn tires is on it's way
from Princeton, NJ but it will be at least a month until
it sails to these shores. I stayed away from A6 2.7T as the only A6
available with a stick
in the states: not much experience with that engine in my neck of
woods, I don't
want sizable repair bills.

D.La C. wrote:

> An aspect ratio of 45 should not affect normal driving on *normal*
> roads. How often does the original poster plan on driving on
> *moonscape* New England roads? It stands to reason that if such a road

Daily. It's like that in the parking lot of the newly built pigeon
hole style
apartment building I'm renting.

> as you describe is encountered that you would lower your speed
> *regardless* the aspect ratio. I have 100k miles on my RS6 with a
> majority of it on Massachusetts/NH/ME roads. And I have been on a road
> you described cursing all the time, but driving very carefully. My
> wife and I rallied for several years in VT/NH/ME/CT/MA with cars that
> included a Porsche 944, VW Quantum, and several Audis including the
> first iteration of the S4. I had only one problem with a wheel/tire
> and that happened when I went *off* the road and hit a stone destroying
> the wheel of the Quantum.

Well, I was driving an rwd antique beater (fiat 124 knockoff)
with 70 aspect ratio tires:
I felt entitled to drive at 2x the speed of the the people who were
concerned about the well being of their suspension, tires
and cars in general.

I've paid the price a in a form of a sidewall blowout that I've
discovered
upon venturing to the car in the morning: apparently it was sitting
with that flat overnight while I was recuperating at the motel.
The SOB at the tire shop did not bother to patch up the tire
before installing a camera. Subsequently last weekend I
was faced with a blown camera, a larger sidewall cut on
a tire with TONS of tread left rendering the tire AND the
inner tube unusable. So the tire lasted a year after the incident
instead
until the tread was worn out.

Good help is hard to find.