1986 5000 CS Quattro Turbo Issues - Please advise

Old August 27th 09, 07:11 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Matt[_11_]

Default 1986 5000 CS Quattro Turbo Issues - Please advise

All,

A few issues with my 500CS TQ:

No Speedometer or odometer functionality - Tried another speedo;
Nothing. Heard of a trans pickup sensor. Where can I find it on the
trans?

No power locks - Pump does not power on. Soldered the door harness
wiring, still nothing. How is the pump triggered? How can one test
the pump?

Brake Warning light comes on after first brake press. Good fluid
level, all sensors hooked up, and no brake pressure loss. Ideas?

Thanks!
Old August 27th 09, 05:21 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
TonyJ[_3_]

Trans sender is on the left side of trans just behind the axle IIRC.

The pump is under the rear seat and the connector near it can go bad.
Check, clean and re-connect. Test pump with the connector under the rear
seat by applying a voltage. I don't remember the triggering in the door
but removing the door panel and tracing should make it evident.

Check to see if the wires in the front brake pads have been worn through
causing the warning light. I would bet that is it. Fix is replace the
pads with new ones that have the sensor wire. When brakes are applied
power is sent to the left front brake pad and then to the right front
pad and then to ground. If it is interupted anywhere the warning light
will be triggered. It is possible to loop a wire in the connectors to
eliminate the wire in the pads but that is your decision.

Old August 27th 09, 06:28 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
PeterD

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 10:21:06 -0600, TonyJ <"tonyjnospam at nospam
visi.com"> wrote:

>Trans sender is on the left side of trans just behind the axle IIRC.
>
>The pump is under the rear seat and the connector near it can go bad.
>Check, clean and re-connect. Test pump with the connector under the rear
>seat by applying a voltage. I don't remember the triggering in the door
>but removing the door panel and tracing should make it evident.
>
>Check to see if the wires in the front brake pads have been worn through
>causing the warning light. I would bet that is it. Fix is replace the
>pads with new ones that have the sensor wire. When brakes are applied
>power is sent to the left front brake pad and then to the right front
>pad and then to ground. If it is interupted anywhere the warning light
>will be triggered. It is possible to loop a wire in the connectors to
>eliminate the wire in the pads but that is your decision.
>
>Matt wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> A few issues with my 500CS TQ:
>>
>> No Speedometer or odometer functionality - Tried another speedo;
>> Nothing. Heard of a trans pickup sensor. Where can I find it on the
>> trans?
>>
>> No power locks - Pump does not power on. Soldered the door harness
>> wiring, still nothing. How is the pump triggered? How can one test
>> the pump?
>>
>> Brake Warning light comes on after first brake press. Good fluid
>> level, all sensors hooked up, and no brake pressure loss. Ideas?

Check your PS fluid level, if that is low, you will get a brake
warning on the display. Use AUDI PS fluid only, do not use ATF in the
PS on this car.

Do you have the shop manual? If not, I may have my old manual that
I'll sell you. Let me know. (Take the number out of my email address
to email me directly...)

Old August 30th 09, 03:28 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
mattmondo

On Aug 27, 11:21*am, TonyJ <"tonyjnospam at nospam visi.com"> wrote:
> Trans sender is on the left side of trans just behind *the axle IIRC.
>
> The pump is under the rear seat and the connector near it can go bad.
> Check, clean and re-connect. Test pump with the connector under the rear
> seat by applying a voltage. I don't remember the triggering in the door
> but removing the door panel and tracing should make it evident.
>
> Check to see if the wires in the front brake pads have been worn through
> causing the warning light. I would bet that is it. Fix is replace the
> pads with new ones that have the sensor wire. When brakes are applied
> power is sent to the left front brake pad and then to the right front
> pad and then to ground. If it is interupted anywhere the warning light
> will be triggered. It is possible to loop a wire in the connectors to
> eliminate the wire in the pads but that is your decision.
>
> Matt wrote:
> > All,

> > A few issues with my 500CS TQ:

> > No Speedometer or odometer functionality - Tried another speedo;
> > Nothing. *Heard of a trans pickup sensor. *Where can I find it on the
> > trans?

> > No power locks - Pump does not power on. *Soldered the door harness
> > wiring, still nothing. *How is the pump triggered? *How can one test
> > the pump?

> > Brake Warning light comes on after first brake press. *Good fluid
> > level, all sensors hooked up, and no brake pressure loss. *Ideas?

> > Thanks!

Yep! Poor vacuum pump connection! Works great! ALso, pads have no
sensor wires. I suppose I can change out the pads or simply close the
circuit on the wiring from the car. Thanks!!!
Old August 30th 09, 03:29 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
mattmondo

On Aug 27, 12:28*pm, PeterD > wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 10:21:06 -0600, TonyJ <"tonyjnospam at nospam
>

> visi.com"> wrote:
> >Trans sender is on the left side of trans just behind *the axle IIRC.

> >The pump is under the rear seat and the connector near it can go bad.
> >Check, clean and re-connect. Test pump with the connector under the rear
> >seat by applying a voltage. I don't remember the triggering in the door
> >but removing the door panel and tracing should make it evident.

> >Check to see if the wires in the front brake pads have been worn through
> >causing the warning light. I would bet that is it. Fix is replace the
> >pads with new ones that have the sensor wire. When brakes are applied
> >power is sent to the left front brake pad and then to the right front
> >pad and then to ground. If it is interupted anywhere the warning light
> >will be triggered. It is possible to loop a wire in the connectors to
> >eliminate the wire in the pads but that is your decision.

> >Matt wrote:
> >> All,

> >> A few issues with my 500CS TQ:

> >> No Speedometer or odometer functionality - Tried another speedo;
> >> Nothing. *Heard of a trans pickup sensor. *Where can I find it on the
> >> trans?

> >> No power locks - Pump does not power on. *Soldered the door harness
> >> wiring, still nothing. *How is the pump triggered? *How can one test
> >> the pump?

> >> Brake Warning light comes on after first brake press. *Good fluid
> >> level, all sensors hooked up, and no brake pressure loss. *Ideas?

> Check your PS fluid level, if that is low, you will get a brake
> warning on the display. Use AUDI PS fluid only, do not use ATF in the
> PS on this car.
>
> Do you have the shop manual? If not, I may have my old manual that
> I'll sell you. Let me know. (Take the number out of my email address
> to email me directly...)
>

> >> Thanks!

Level is good. Also found out that even if the car is off and ign is
on, the lamp will trigger after about a minute. Very stange. Is the
manual the famous Bently manual for the 5000CS? Thanks!