How it happened that Audi has now the ugliest front amongst the modern cars?

Old August 18th 09, 09:25 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Pete M[_3_]

Default How it happened that Audi has now the ugliest front amongstthe modern cars?

OH9EH4 wrote:
> k1e1v1i1n;111517 Wrote:
>> acura's front clip is the uglyest . i guess unless u like transformers
>> alot .

> I totally agree. It looks like they slapped a stainless steel frying
> pan on the front. Audi's have an elegance about them. I notice everybody
> looks at a BMW when it drives by thinking "Man, that guy must be rich".
> Then an AUDI drives by and they think "Man, that's a nice car."
>
> Point is, it's not about a status symbol with Audi. It is the quaint
> Bruce Banner until you step on the pedal and make it angry.. out comes
> roaring the Hulk.
>
> (IMO)

Doesn't work that way in the UK. Here Audi drivers have a bigger image
problem than most. It used to be BMW drivers who were considered to be
the most self-important idiots on the road, but in the last few years
Audi drivers seem to have taken the baton and they're running with it.

Doesn't help that Audi have fitted daytime running lights to their new
cars, and that the new cars are the ones being driven by the cocks. Now
they're likely to cut you up in traffic and be glaringly obvious doing so.

There are a whole load of badly driven Q7s, R8s and RS6s around here.

--
Pete M - OMF#9

'62 Rover P4 100
'61 Rover P5 3 litre
'72 Rover P6 3500 Auto
'78 Escort 1300 Sport
'99 Audi A6 V6 Quattro Avant

"It's an Alfa, it will go wrong, it will **** you off, why should your
Alfa experience be different from everyone else's.
Now get back out there and swear at it before something else breaks."
Old August 18th 09, 01:50 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Steve Thompson

On Tue, 18 Aug 2009, Pete M wrote:

> Doesn't help that Audi have fitted daytime running lights to their new cars,

I can't speak to the 2009's, but the 2010's have switchable daytime
running lights, at least in the US. I've turned mine off.

Steve
Old August 18th 09, 04:07 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Pete M[_3_]

Steve Thompson wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Aug 2009, Pete M wrote:
>
>> Doesn't help that Audi have fitted daytime running lights to their new
>> cars,

> I can't speak to the 2009's, but the 2010's have switchable daytime
> running lights, at least in the US. I've turned mine off.

I wondered if they were switchable, but I've not noticed any with them
off. That could be because the ones that are on are so easily spotted,
and from what I've observed, pretty badly driven.

Then again, when I've had Volvos I've always turned the bloody things off.

Old August 19th 09, 01:01 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Jon B

Pete M > wrote:

> OH9EH4 wrote:
> > k1e1v1i1n;111517 Wrote:
> >> acura's front clip is the uglyest . i guess unless u like transformers
> >> alot .

> > I totally agree. It looks like they slapped a stainless steel frying
> > pan on the front. Audi's have an elegance about them. I notice everybody
> > looks at a BMW when it drives by thinking "Man, that guy must be rich".
> > Then an AUDI drives by and they think "Man, that's a nice car."
> >
> > Point is, it's not about a status symbol with Audi. It is the quaint
> > Bruce Banner until you step on the pedal and make it angry.. out comes
> > roaring the Hulk.
> >
> > (IMO)

> Doesn't work that way in the UK. Here Audi drivers have a bigger image
> problem than most. It used to be BMW drivers who were considered to be
> the most self-important idiots on the road, but in the last few years
> Audi drivers seem to have taken the baton and they're running with it.

For now I think it is regional (though spreading with the help of Top
Gear) generally round here I think most people still think it is the BMW
drivers that are cocks.

> Doesn't help that Audi have fitted daytime running lights to their new
> cars, and that the new cars are the ones being driven by the cocks. Now
> they're likely to cut you up in traffic and be glaringly obvious doing so.

Yeah this probably doesn't help as the headlights scream Audi whereas if
you weren't paying attention the BMWs could easily have been something
else.

> There are a whole load of badly driven Q7s, R8s and RS6s around here.

Not so many of those around here, which is probably why for now we Audi
drivers haven't got that bad a reputation.
--
Jon B
Above email address IS valid.
Old August 20th 09, 05:28 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
wallyr25

When Audi first came out with the BIG GRILL in the A4, I thought it was
ugly, and I still do. But when it hit the A3 it looked a bit sleeker,
then A5 made it look great and on the new TT it looks stunning. So they
have refined the "Look" and it is improving. Nevertheless, if I were to
buy an A4 it would still be the 2005 model with the old style front.

--
wallyr25
wallyr25's Profile: http://www.audiforum.ca/member.php?userid=7418

Modern cars have become death traps [email protected] Driving 29 May 14th 06 03:54 AM
inadequacy of modern cars Zoot Katz Driving 0 November 9th 05 07:47 AM
The 10 Ugliest Cars LeMod Pol Driving 15 October 13th 05 03:26 PM
"Modern Cars" today get no better gas milage than a 1958 Plymouth did! True Blue Chrysler 5 September 25th 05 10:48 AM
inadequacy of modern cars Dale Driving 1 February 19th 05 05:55 PM