water pump replacement

Old May 15th 05, 06:06 PM

Default water pump replacement

hi
how do i replace a water pump on my 1999 chevy monte carlo
with the 3.1 liter engine and what tool's would i need
thank you

Old May 15th 05, 07:05 PM
JP White

> hi
> how do i replace a water pump on my 1999 chevy monte carlo
> with the 3.1 liter engine and what tool's would i need
> thank you

Water Pump Replacement 3100 Engine
Removal Procedure

1. Drain the cooling system. Refer to Draining and Filling Cooling
System .
2. Remove the drive belt guard.
3. Loosen the water pump pulley bolts.
4. Remove the drive belt. Refer to Drive Belt Replacement in Engine
Mechanical - 3.1L.
5. Remove the water pump pulley bolts.
6. Remove the water pump pulley.
7. Remove the water pump bolts.
8. Remove the water pump.
9. Remove the water pump gasket.
10. Clean the water pump mating surfaces.

Installation Procedure

1. Install the gasket (1).
2. Install the water pump (1).

Notice

Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement
fasteners must be the correct part number for that application.
Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread
locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do
not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or
fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener
torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the
correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners
in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.
3. Install the water pump bolts.
Tighten
Tighten the water pump bolts to 10N·m (89 lb in).
4. Install the water pump pulley. Loosely install the water pump
pulley bolts.
5. Install the drive belt. Refer to Drive Belt Replacement .
6. Tighten the water pump pulley bolts.
Tighten the water pump pulley bolts to 25N·m (18 lb in).
7. Install the drive belt guard.
8. Fill the cooling system. Refer to Draining and Filling Cooling
System .
9. Inspect for leaks.

JP

--