C4 targa top headliner replacement

Old September 8th 07, 05:01 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
TroY

Default C4 targa top headliner replacement

anyone replaced one?? mine was sagging so i pulled it apart.. the fiberglass
insulation under it came apart.. corvette america listed the assembly but
they cannot get anymore.. corvette america has a replacement one that has a
pressboard back on it ($150)..(midamerica has one listed for $250) was
woundering if anyone has used either of them or what others have done for
custom headliners??

thanks

troy
88 35th anniversary #1580

Old September 8th 07, 06:47 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
'Key

"Troy" > wrote in message
. ..
> anyone replaced one?? mine was sagging so i pulled it
> apart.. the fiberglass insulation under it came apart..
> corvette america listed the assembly but they cannot get
> anymore.. corvette america has a replacement one that has
> a pressboard back on it ($150)..(midamerica has one listed
> for $250) was woundering if anyone has used either of them
> or what others have done for custom headliners??
>
> thanks
>
> troy
> 88 35th anniversary #1580

I brought mine to a local trim shop and had them completely
replace it.
new everything, including cloth and pressboard back.
total cost was $125.00

my2¢
--
'Key
=====

Old September 8th 07, 07:40 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

In >, "'Key" > writes:
>"Troy" > wrote in message
>> anyone replaced one?? mine was sagging so i pulled it
>> apart.. the fiberglass insulation under it came apart..
>> corvette america listed the assembly but they cannot get
>> anymore.. corvette america has a replacement one that has
>> a pressboard back on it ($150)..(midamerica has one listed
>> for $250) was woundering if anyone has used either of them
>> or what others have done for custom headliners??
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> troy
>> 88 35th anniversary #1580

>I brought mine to a local trim shop and had them completely
>replace it.
>new everything, including cloth and pressboard back.
>total cost was $125.00
>
>my2¢
>--
>'Key
>=====

My '89 is black 'mousefuzz' -- feels like it was bonded to a thin
layer of polyurethane foam (3/16, maybe 1/4). Is just starting
to separate.

I had this happen in a '79 Pontiac. Stripped out the old foam and
fabric. Bought foam and new mousefuzz from a local uphostery
fabric outlet (UFO in National City) and tried to install it myself.
Found it difficult to not stretch the foam and fabric. Had a
wrinkled look.

Bought more foam and mousefuzz and took the job to a shop in
T.J. Labor plus a "doubleshot" of material was less than $ 40.

--
pj

Old September 8th 07, 02:48 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Butcher[_2_]

> wrote in message ...
> In >, "'Key" >
> writes:
>>"Troy" > wrote in message
m...
>>> anyone replaced one?? mine was sagging so i pulled it
>>> apart.. the fiberglass insulation under it came apart..
>>> corvette america listed the assembly but they cannot get
>>> anymore.. corvette america has a replacement one that has
>>> a pressboard back on it ($150)..(midamerica has one listed
>>> for $250) was woundering if anyone has used either of them
>>> or what others have done for custom headliners??
>>>
>>> thanks
>>>
>>> troy
>>> 88 35th anniversary #1580

A coincidence you posted this I just fixed mine yesterday, the backing
material was okay so I just cut the fabric along the back edge with an
'xacto' knife with a new blade and used contact cement in a spray can you
can get at a hobby store. I sprayed it under the fabric well and starting
from the front middle I carefully set the fabric back down and worked it to
the back and side edges, it stuck fine and smoothed out great, tucked the
fabric back along the edges and let it dry -- it looks great and you cannot
tell it's been worked on at all.

Since you need to replace the backing I'd glue the fabric to the measured
and trimmed replacement board first with a little extra fabric along the
edges, then when dry glue the backing to the roof. When that is dry just
trim, glue and tuck the fabric edges down along the edges and you're done.

Hope this helps,

Butcher
'96 LT-4 CE (with both tops)

Old September 8th 07, 08:38 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
'Key

> wrote in message
> In >, "'Key"
> > writes:
>>"Troy" > wrote in message
m...
>>> anyone replaced one?? mine was sagging so i pulled it
>>> apart.. the fiberglass insulation under it came apart..
>>> corvette america listed the assembly but they cannot get
>>> anymore.. corvette america has a replacement one that
>>> has
>>> a pressboard back on it ($150)..(midamerica has one
>>> listed
>>> for $250) was woundering if anyone has used either of
>>> them
>>> or what others have done for custom headliners??
>>>
>>> thanks
>>>
>>> troy
>>> 88 35th anniversary #1580

>>I brought mine to a local trim shop and had them
>>completely
>>replace it.
>>new everything, including cloth and pressboard back.
>>total cost was $125.00
>>
>>my2¢
>>--
>>'Key
>>=====
>>

> My '89 is black 'mousefuzz' -- feels like it was bonded to
> a thin
> layer of polyurethane foam (3/16, maybe 1/4). Is just
> starting
> to separate.
>
> I had this happen in a '79 Pontiac. Stripped out the old
> foam and
> fabric. Bought foam and new mousefuzz from a local
> uphostery
> fabric outlet (UFO in National City) and tried to install
> it myself.
> Found it difficult to not stretch the foam and fabric.
> Had a
> wrinkled look.
>
> Bought more foam and mousefuzz and took the job to a shop
> in
> T.J. Labor plus a "doubleshot" of material was less than
> $ 40.
>
> --
> pj

either way,
an trim shop should be cheaper then buying a replacement
one.

my2¢
--
'Key
=====

Old September 10th 07, 09:35 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
John D

On my 84 the backing board was ok. It was some kind of stiff foam board
about 1/8 inch thick held up with several Velcro strips. I bought headliner
material from Jo Ann fabrics for about $11. It matched what I took out but I
wouldn't call it mouse fuzz so maybe some are different. I used a piece of
scrap sheet metal and water from a garden hose to scrape off the old glue. I
used spray headliner & carpet adhesive from a autoparts store, about $9. I
folded the edges over about a inch on the back and glued it down with the
spray adhesive. I made some cuts in the folded edge at the corners so get it
to lay flat. It only been done a couple weeks so I don't know how long it
will last yet. I followed the directions on the adhesive can so it should be
ok.
John

remove 1 to reply

Top Headliner BCRandy Mazda 15 September 6th 06 01:38 AM
Headliner replacement [email protected] Technology 6 May 11th 06 04:17 PM
Headliner Padding (was headliner padding substitutes) Spike VW air cooled 6 July 13th 05 12:42 PM
headliner help... Mel P. VW air cooled 0 July 8th 05 03:07 AM
Headliner Barry Schnoor Saturn 1 June 18th 04 02:43 AM