Oil Everywhere!

Old July 13th 08, 12:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
ilaab

Default Oil Everywhere!

Update: It was my sending unit leaking on my '67 Bug. Got that repaired
now now more oil pooling in the pulley and dripping from everywhere else.
Thanks again for the help.

Ilaab

Old July 13th 08, 06:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected][_1_]

On Jul 12, 4:17 pm, "ilaab" > wrote:
> Update: It was my sending unit leaking on my '67 Bug. Got that repaired
> now now more oil pooling in the pulley and dripping from everywhere else.
> Thanks again for the help.
>
> Ilaab

Has it done this previously? If not, I would suspect that the
crankcase ventilation system is not working...there should be a
section of braided rubber hose from the oil filler to the air cleaner,
make sure it is hooked up and isn't plugged.

Make sure you haven't overfilled the engine with oil, and perhaps
check the fuel pump..if the oil smells like gasoline you can assume
that the fuel pump has failed or you have a carburetor problem that is
dumping raw fuel into the engine and diluting the oil.

Chris
Old July 14th 08, 01:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

"Project Magnet #1" > wrote in message
> , any other suggestions?
>
> Les

turbo....

Old July 14th 08, 04:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Project Magnet #1

Joey Tribiani wrote:
> "Project Magnet #1" > wrote in message
> > , any other suggestions?
>> Les

> turbo....

Let's try this again, any suggestions for a budget build?

Les
Old July 14th 08, 04:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

"Project Magnet #1" > wrote in message
> Joey Tribiani wrote:
>> "Project Magnet #1" > wrote in message
>> > , any other suggestions?
>>> Les

>> turbo....

> Let's try this again, any suggestions for a budget build?
>
> Les

again...turbo!!

Old July 14th 08, 04:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Project Magnet #1

Joey Tribiani wrote:
> "Project Magnet #1" > wrote in message
>> Joey Tribiani wrote:
>>> turbo....

>> Let's try this again, any suggestions for a budget build?
>>
>> Les

> again...turbo!!

Your idea of low budget and mine are different. I bet I could by a
rebuilt engine cheaper than I could buy a turbo. I'd still need to build
an engine. The goal is to get the car back up and running, not make it
so expensive that it won't happen.

Also, wouldn't a turbo be better for higher rpm's? Most of my off-road
is idle to just off idle rock crawling with some 4x4's.

Unless someone had a free turbo, that's out of the question for my build.

Les
Old July 14th 08, 05:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

"Project Magnet #1" > wrote in message
> Joey Tribiani wrote:
>>> Let's try this again, any suggestions for a budget build?
>>>
>>> Les

>> again...turbo!!

> Your idea of low budget and mine are different. I bet I could by a rebuilt
> engine cheaper than I could buy a turbo. I'd still need to build an
> engine. The goal is to get the car back up and running, not make it so
> expensive that it won't happen.
>
> Also, wouldn't a turbo be better for higher rpm's? Most of my off-road is
> idle to just off idle rock crawling with some 4x4's.
>
> Unless someone had a free turbo, that's out of the question for my build.
>
> Les

turbos are like any other part... you can find them economically if you
look.... turbos can add greatly to higher rpms, if thats what you build the
engine for.... turbo engines are great at producing high torque at lower
rpms, and that's why they are a favorite of low revving diesel
manufacturers.... even my wife's mazda puts out it's max torque at only
2500rpms (258LB/FT at 2500 rpm.... Mazda CX-7, 2.3L turbocharged engine)....
it's all in what you want... i built my little turbo engine cheaply and with
new parts...the new engine (2275 Turbo/EFI) is a different story....

Old July 14th 08, 05:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Project Magnet #1

Joey Tribiani wrote:
> "Project Magnet #1" > wrote in message
>> Joey Tribiani wrote:

>>> again...turbo!!

>> Your idea of low budget and mine are different. I bet I could by a rebuilt
>> engine cheaper than I could buy a turbo. I'd still need to build an
>> engine. The goal is to get the car back up and running, not make it so
>> expensive that it won't happen.
>>
>> Also, wouldn't a turbo be better for higher rpm's? Most of my off-road is
>> idle to just off idle rock crawling with some 4x4's.
>>
>> Unless someone had a free turbo, that's out of the question for my build.
>>
>> Les

> turbos are like any other part... you can find them economically if you
> look.... turbos can add greatly to higher rpms, if thats what you build the
> engine for.... turbo engines are great at producing high torque at lower
> rpms, and that's why they are a favorite of low revving diesel
> manufacturers.... even my wife's mazda puts out it's max torque at only
> 2500rpms (258LB/FT at 2500 rpm.... Mazda CX-7, 2.3L turbocharged engine)....
> it's all in what you want... i built my little turbo engine cheaply and with
> new parts...the new engine (2275 Turbo/EFI) is a different story....

What about building a Type 2 2.0 engine and putting it in a Baja? I was
just offered one that's apart, machine work done, just needs built. The
price is very good, I don't think I could get machine work done for what
he wants.

Les
Old July 14th 08, 06:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

"Project Magnet #1" > wrote in message

> What about building a Type 2 2.0 engine and putting it in a Baja? I was
> just offered one that's apart, machine work done, just needs built. The
> price is very good, I don't think I could get machine work done for what
> he wants.
>
> Les

that's a type 4 engine... very good engine, especially in a baja.... very
torquey in a light bug and will take a beating because it's built to push a
heavy bus around... and in a baja you don't even have to worry about time or
expense(two different approaches, one converting yourself, and one buying
parts made for the conversion) to convert to the upright cooling that a bug
usually has.... search a bit on here and thesamba for "type 4
conversion".... hell Janet may come along and throw in his two cents on it,
he's done it...