P0303 #3 cylinder misfire

Old June 7th 06, 01:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Default P0303 #3 cylinder misfire

Hey guys,

My 99 Explorer (4.0 106,000 miles) had the check engine light come on after
mechanics replaced plugs. The code was P0303. The mechanic replaced the
plug and spark plug wire saying the plug wire was causing an arc to the
spark plug. Well, the light came back on, for the same cylinder. Is there
any other things that I should look for that would cause a cylinder misfire?

Thanks in advance.

Old June 13th 06, 05:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

I have a 98 Explorer 5.0 and had the same problem(s). I first got a
tuneup and/or 90,000 mile service. That fixed it for awhile (new plugs,
fuel filter, timing adj.etc.). After a week, the CEL came back on, took
to AZone had them check, found out it was Cyl. 5 & 7. Drove next day
and CEL went off. The next week it came on, took it to Advance Auto to
check, found out to be Cyl 5 & 7 again. Told the guy what had been done
to car, service etc. and he said it may be the wires. Replaced wires.
Problem went away for another week. These were all short drives, around
town and back and forth to work. Drove Explorer to mountains, 3 hour
drive. No CEL. drove home, still no CEL. Drove to work and around town,
CEL came back on. So the On then Off syndrome still lasted for a week
until yesterday, the CEL came on, engine was idling bad, really moving
and grooving under the hood. Took it to Ford Dealership today. Still
waiting for results.

Old June 13th 06, 08:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Thanks for the reply. Mine is in the shop now. They(mechanic) thought it
may be a intake issue, but after speaking with them, they are looking into a
head issue now. Will post the results when I find out what they are. This
may sound odd, but I do not recall any symptoms before I had the
tune-up(plugs, fuel filter). Since the tune up, at least once every couple
weeks, it has been in to get repaired. The CEL never came on until after it
left the mechanic the first time. Second time it went in, was for a coolant
flush and CEL was on. It came up with cylinder 3 misfire. Now after a day
or so of driving around town the same code comes back. I never had to
replace much coolant, just add a little to the reservoir once every six
months. Nothing that seemed out of the ordinary.

Lance

oups.com...

Old June 15th 06, 10:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Well,

The problem seems to have been both heads were cracked. Ordered new ones.
Should be in after a couple days. I cannot wait to get it up and running.
Its surprising how much you miss driving a vehicle when you are without it.

.. .

ritz vita via CarKB.com Saturn 10 June 6th 06 01:31 PM
96 Buick Regal misfire, #4 cylinder [email protected] Technology 7 April 20th 06 04:11 PM
Understanding emission numbers and how they work Steve H Honda 11 November 3rd 05 06:19 AM
L98: starts, but won't keep running. Dave Gee Corvette 15 October 22nd 05 08:43 PM
Did a brake flush damage my master cylinder? [email protected] Technology 13 July 7th 05 05:51 PM