Spark plug change - 99 T & C

Old June 2nd 06, 09:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Default Spark plug change - 99 T & C

Anyone know the procedure (what has to be removed) to get to the back
plugs on a "99 T & C, 3.8L V6?

Frank
Old June 4th 06, 06:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Some say that the best way to get to the rear plugs is from the bottom. I
suspect that may work if the car is on a lift (at the correct height). I
don't think you can lay on your back under the car and get to the plugs,
unless you are an orangutan.

I did my '96 T&C from the front by removing the alternator, the plastic
cover over the injectors and, if I recall correctly, there were a few odds
and ends that I loosened to get a little more wiggle room. Having a good
selection of angled tools, extensions, etc. is a help.

I won't lie to you Frank: it was a bear. Perhaps someone else has a better
way. I got it done, but it took a while.

Ken

Old June 4th 06, 02:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

On Sat, 3 Jun 2006 22:47:46 -0700, "KWS" > wrote:

>Some say that the best way to get to the rear plugs is from the bottom. I
>suspect that may work if the car is on a lift (at the correct height). I
>don't think you can lay on your back under the car and get to the plugs,
>unless you are an orangutan.
>
>I did my '96 T&C from the front by removing the alternator, the plastic
>cover over the injectors and, if I recall correctly, there were a few odds
>and ends that I loosened to get a little more wiggle room. Having a good
>selection of angled tools, extensions, etc. is a help.
>
>I won't lie to you Frank: it was a bear. Perhaps someone else has a better
>way. I got it done, but it took a while.
>
>Ken

Thanks Ken.

I went on a couple of forums and found a few things, but no one had an
easy way. Most talked about removing the plenum (the plastic cover
you mentioned?). This model does'nt have one, just a cast intake
manifold that has a header on the back side that covers the plugs. I
certainly don't want to take the whole intake manifold off.

May take it to a mechanic with a lift, although last time I had them
changed at 75K miles, they charged me a just over $100 to do it,
including the plugs. Was looking for a way to save a buck. But might
be worth it in this case.

Frank

.. .

Old June 4th 06, 02:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

I do mine. Start by taking off the windshield wipers. Then take off the
cowling. With the cowling off you'll have enough room to change the plugs,
although the one near the alternator can be a challenge.

I know it sounds like a helluva job but it really isn't that bad.

Ed

Old June 4th 06, 03:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Frank Boettcher wrote:

> ...May take it to a mechanic with a lift, although last time I had them
> changed at 75K miles, they charged me a just over $100 to do it,
> including the plugs. Was looking for a way to save a buck. But might
> be worth it in this case.

Jiffy Lube could probably do it a lot cheaper. LOL!

Seriously - whereever you have it done, ask for the old plugs back.

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old June 4th 06, 06:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

That's what I did when the O2 sensor (before the converter) needed
replacement. I could hardly touch the connector, let alone actually do
anything to the sensor itself. I paid something like $150 for a guy to do
it. That was money well spent!

Old June 4th 06, 06:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

I'll keep that in mind, Frank. Thanks.

Ken

Old June 4th 06, 08:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

--

"Bill Putney" > wrote in message
> Frank Boettcher wrote:
>
> > ...May take it to a mechanic with a lift, although last time I had them
> > changed at 75K miles, they charged me a just over $100 to do it,
> > including the plugs. Was looking for a way to save a buck. But might
> > be worth it in this case.

> Jiffy Lube could probably do it a lot cheaper. LOL!
>
> Seriously - whereever you have it done, ask for the old plugs back.
>
> Bill Putney
> (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my
> address with the letter 'x')

Bill, your stirring the kettle!!

Old June 4th 06, 09:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

maxpower wrote:

-- "Bill Putney" > wrote in message

had them

might

>> Jiffy Lube could probably do it a lot cheaper. LOL!
>>
>> Seriously - whereever you have it done, ask for the old plugs back.
>>
>> Bill Putney
>> (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my
>> address with the letter 'x')

> Bill, your stirring the kettle!!

Who moi!?

Bill Putney