brake pads

Old January 17th 06, 03:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default brake pads

my 99 10 AE will is allmost rady for new pads I like to upgrade from
stock but dont know what to go with can anyone help
Old January 17th 06, 04:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

In article >,
nobody > wrote:

> my 99 10 AE will is allmost rady for new pads I like to upgrade from
> stock but dont know what to go with

For street use, Mazda OEM pads are the best combination of stopping
power, fade resistance, low noise, low dust, and low rotor wear.

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old January 17th 06, 06:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

I second that. When I bought the 99 a few months ago it had very aggressive
front pads. I accidentally locked them up momentarily two or three times
trying to get used to them. Plus PO had given me a set of new rotors, no
wonder, they were almost worn thru! You've got to watch out for that if you
go with aggressive pads.

Chris
99BBB

Old January 17th 06, 10:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

www.mazda3online.com and email the site owner. he can get really good deals
on any Mazda parts you may need.

Old January 18th 06, 02:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

nobody > wrote:

>my 99 10 AE will is allmost rady for new pads I like to upgrade from
>stock but dont know what to go with can anyone help

It may help if you tell us why you want to upgrade from stock.

Leon
http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)
Old January 18th 06, 03:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

(Leon van Dommelen) writes:

> nobody > wrote:
>
> >my 99 10 AE will is allmost rady for new pads I like to upgrade from
> >stock but dont know what to go with can anyone help

> It may help if you tell us why you want to upgrade from stock.
>
> Leon
> --
> Leon van Dommelen Bozo, the White 96 Sebring Miata .)

http://www.dommelen.net/miata
> EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)

I have a 2000 and found the Hawk pads to have much better wet braking
then the stock pads. I'd always have to pump the brake once before
they would grab with stock in a moderate rain but the Hawk's grab
right away.

--
Scott Streeter

http://www.wpi.edu/~ss/
Old January 18th 06, 06:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

On 18 Jan 2006 09:28:26 -0500, Scott Streeter > wrote:

>I have a 2000 and found the Hawk pads to have much better wet braking
>then the stock pads. I'd always have to pump the brake once before
>they would grab with stock in a moderate rain but the Hawk's grab
>right away.

I am very familiar with the phenomenon you describe, but only on
motorcycles. I've never experienced it on a car, and certainly not on
my '99 Miata, which should have identical brakes.

I *think* my '99 has stock Mazda pads. I wonder what the difference is
between our two cars.
Old January 18th 06, 06:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Your wet braking issue may be the same as the one occurring with the 99's.
There is a revised shield or back plate that was used when owners complained
of poor braking in wet weather. The issue was largely ignored by Mazda in
the US. I had wet weather braking problems with my 99. At the time, Mazmart
in Atlanta had a barn full of NB Miata's with front end damage. I spent
several hours on the phone with mazda customer service. First, they refused
to admit there was a problem or that alternate parts were available. Next
when presented with the revised part numbers, they tried to say that the
parts were for european versions only. I was given the name of a mazda
person within miata support who was knowledgeable concerning the issue.
Shortly thereafter, the dealer was installing the revised parts under
warrenty.

There was a thread concerning the wet braking issue on the miata.net forums.
I used Hawk pads as well, and found that they wore rapidly, made a constant
mess on the rims, and when it was time to replace them, I ended up replacing
the rotors as well as returning to stock pads.

http://www.wpi.edu/~ss/

Old January 18th 06, 07:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Natman > writes:

> On 18 Jan 2006 09:28:26 -0500, Scott Streeter > wrote:
>

> >I have a 2000 and found the Hawk pads to have much better wet braking
> >then the stock pads. I'd always have to pump the brake once before
> >they would grab with stock in a moderate rain but the Hawk's grab
> >right away.

> I am very familiar with the phenomenon you describe, but only on
> motorcycles. I've never experienced it on a car, and certainly not on
> my '99 Miata, which should have identical brakes.
>
> I *think* my '99 has stock Mazda pads. I wonder what the difference is
> between our two cars.

Dunno but since I've used non-stock pads (EBC and Hawk) it hasn't been
an issue anymore.

--
Scott Streeter

http://www.wpi.edu/~ss/
Old January 18th 06, 08:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

In article >,
Natman > wrote:

> I am very familiar with the phenomenon you describe, but only on
> motorcycles. I've never experienced it on a car, and certainly not on
> my '99 Miata, which should have identical brakes.
>
> I *think* my '99 has stock Mazda pads. I wonder what the difference is
> between our two cars.

Driving conditions. Miatas have always had a problem with the initial
brake application after extended highway driving in very heavy rain. I
only see it in frog-strangler conditions, and I get into the habit of
dragging the brakes periodically and planning ahead for exits. Keep
plenty of room in front of you in bad weather, and it's just not that
big a deal. The "solution" is worse: horrible dusting, noise, and rapid
rotor wear.

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis