Can a Mazda 3 pull a light utility trailer?

Old February 15th 07, 09:04 PM posted to rec.autos.misc
engwar

Default Can a Mazda 3 pull a light utility trailer?

I'm tired of renting a truck to occasionally move furniture or lumber
and other items that are too big to fit in my car.

I don't want to buy a truck that I'd only use once every month or so.
I'd like to buy a small utility trailer and get a hidden hitch for my
Mazda 3. But would this shorten the life of the car?

Again I wouldn't be hauling a ton of bricks or anything. A couple
pieces of furniture or a few sheets of plywood or drywall from the
hardware store once a month or so.

Any thoughts?

Here are some of the specs on the car.

Engine
Type-L3X 2.3L DOHC
16-valve 4-cylinder with VVT and balance shafts (2)

Horsepower
160 @ 6500 rpm (PZEV = 153 @ 6500 rpm)

Torque
150 @ 4500 rpm (PZEV = 149 @ 4500 rpm)

Automatic transmission

Old February 26th 07, 07:45 AM posted to rec.autos.misc

With an Auto Tranny, I wouldn't take the chance.

Old March 1st 07, 10:35 PM posted to rec.autos.misc
bugalugs

engwar wrote:
> I'm tired of renting a truck to occasionally move furniture or lumber
> and other items that are too big to fit in my car.
>
> I don't want to buy a truck that I'd only use once every month or so.
> I'd like to buy a small utility trailer and get a hidden hitch for my
> Mazda 3. But would this shorten the life of the car?
>
> Again I wouldn't be hauling a ton of bricks or anything. A couple
> pieces of furniture or a few sheets of plywood or drywall from the
> hardware store once a month or so.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Here are some of the specs on the car.
>
> Engine
> Type-L3X 2.3L DOHC
> 16-valve 4-cylinder with VVT and balance shafts (2)
>
> Horsepower
> 160 @ 6500 rpm (PZEV = 153 @ 6500 rpm)
>
> Torque
> 150 @ 4500 rpm (PZEV = 149 @ 4500 rpm)
>
> Automatic transmission

No reason why not.
Check your handbook. It should give you weight limits for braked and
unbraked trailers.