Is a Ghia M.C. different than a beetle?

Old May 29th 09, 08:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
one who waits

Default Is a Ghia M.C. different than a beetle?

talkin' about a '69 Ghia, disc brakes up-front, drums rear.
Who has the best price on a new (pref. German) master cylinder?
and I saw in Hot Vw's a m.c. for 4 wheel disc brakes, would that do?
TIA
It's amazing what you can do. If...
you put your mind to it.
Old May 29th 09, 09:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim[_2_]

one who waits wrote:
> talkin' about a '69 Ghia, disc brakes up-front, drums rear.
> Who has the best price on a new (pref. German) master cylinder?
> and I saw in Hot Vw's a m.c. for 4 wheel disc brakes, would that do?
> TIA

One size fits all (Std and Ghia) with dual ckt:
http://www2.cip1.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1142

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifie....php?id=787435

Google exactly this: vw "113 611 015 BD"

Don't forget to replace *all* the rubber brake hoses;
they are now 40 years old!! (if original).
And inspect the steel brake lines, especially where
the line runs under the pedal cluster.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old May 30th 09, 12:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
one who waits

In article >,
Speedy Jim > wrote:

> one who waits wrote:
> > talkin' about a '69 Ghia, disc brakes up-front, drums rear.
> > Who has the best price on a new (pref. German) master cylinder?
> > and I saw in Hot Vw's a m.c. for 4 wheel disc brakes, would that do?
> > TIA

> One size fits all (Std and Ghia) with dual ckt:
> http://www2.cip1.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1142
>
> http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifie....php?id=787435
>

> Google exactly this: vw "113 611 015 BD"
>

> Don't forget to replace *all* the rubber brake hoses;
> they are now 40 years old!! (if original).
> And inspect the steel brake lines, especially where
> the line runs under the pedal cluster.
>
> Speedy Jim
> http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

thanks, Speedy'
as usual a "speedy" response.
and what can we do about all this SPAM ?
they change their "name" so my kill-file doesn't even eliminate the
B.S.
Old May 30th 09, 01:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan Andersson[_4_]

one who waits wrote:
> In article >,
> Speedy Jim > wrote:
>
>> one who waits wrote:
>>> talkin' about a '69 Ghia, disc brakes up-front, drums rear.
>>> Who has the best price on a new (pref. German) master cylinder?
>>> and I saw in Hot Vw's a m.c. for 4 wheel disc brakes, would that do?
>>> TIA
>>> g

>> One size fits all (Std and Ghia) with dual ckt:
>> http://www2.cip1.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1142
>>
>> http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifie....php?id=787435
>>

>> Google exactly this: vw "113 611 015 BD"
>>

>> Don't forget to replace *all* the rubber brake hoses;
>> they are now 40 years old!! (if original).
>> And inspect the steel brake lines, especially where
>> the line runs under the pedal cluster.
>>
>> Speedy Jim
>> http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

> thanks, Speedy'
> as usual a "speedy" response.
> and what can we do about all this SPAM ?
> they change their "name" so my kill-file doesn't even eliminate the
> B.S.

What spam?

Old May 30th 09, 02:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
cletus

Google Groups is full of it, luckily i have a server that cleans it up, but
to get archives etc i use google and its spammed up like crazy, too bad.

Old May 30th 09, 07:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan Andersson[_4_]

Oh, I read ramva through a real news server www.individual.net and I see
no spam at all! I use Mozilla Thunderbird for a reader prog. The server
account is like $10 a year.

Jan

Old May 31st 09, 10:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John[_28_]

We have a mob down in Aust who "remanufacture" slave/master cylinders. They
machine out the "bore" and press in a brass insert, redrill connection
points, new seals etc etc. Apparently almost an indefinite life time as no
rust worries with the brass. Never had it done myself but allegedly cheaper
than a new unit. ( at least I think its brass, brassy colour anyway)
May be worth investigating
John

Old May 31st 09, 10:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
amboslacker

On May 31, 5:10*am, "John" > wrote:
> We have a mob down in Aust who "remanufacture" slave/master cylinders. They
> machine out the "bore" and press in a brass insert, redrill connection
> points, new seals *etc etc. Apparently almost an indefinite life time as no
> rust worries with the brass. Never had it done myself but allegedly cheaper
> than a new *unit. * ( at least I think its brass, brassy colour anyway)
> May be worth investigating
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * John

John and others

1) Interesting post. I always thought any such cylinders would
last about one week, before leaking and becoming useless.

2) Brass is so soft (compared with steel), I thought the piston
rubbing back and forth would at least score deep lines in it,
or worse, gouge deep chunks out of the brass.

3) Almost reminds me of the "high tech" Vega cars, with
aluminum cylinders which would "definitely last forever, because
they were specially treated". Love to hear from any of the
victims of that propaganda, and just what problems they had
with those aluminum cylinders/blocks. Of course, I am talking
about all cars which did NOT use steel insert sleeves in the
cylinder bores.

Ross Virgin
Toronto, Canada
Old May 31st 09, 02:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

Yes the Vega engines lasted the "lifetime" of the car.
BUT the "lifetime" of the Vega was only supposed to be 2 years!
That car, IIRC, was designed to be disposable!

I rebuilt a '73? Vega back in the 70's (good used engine lol, front
suspension, paint) and sold it to a friend. AND yes she was still a friend
after the Vega died again and then she bought a '73 Beetle. <g>

WOW was it worthwhile (cost efficient) to rebuild this master cylinder?
--
later,
(One out of many daves)

Old May 31st 09, 06:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
one who waits

In article >,
"dave AKA vwdoc1" > wrote:

> WOW was it worthwhile (cost efficient) to rebuild this master cylinder?
> --
> later,
> (One out of many daves)

we used to find rebuild kits for wheel cylinders. after all most times
it was the rubber that wore out.
and for the Ghia M.C. , I ordered one from WWW. karmannghia.com for
$50 , shipping included. that should do it.