Odd noises while driving

Old April 3rd 07, 04:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Mike West

Default Odd noises while driving

As I made my return trip from the car show here yesterday, I noticed a very
disturbing and loud noise in the back of my 66 Bug. It was very inconsistant
but seemed to happen when I might hit a big pavement seam of bump with my
rear right hand tire. It was as If someone had smacked the torsion bar or
some other solid part with a large hammer.
A fellow enthusiast dropped by the house after I got home and we were
talking about it. He suggested the bushing in the rear torsion bar was bad.
Since I did not touch them when I rebuilt this car ,and the pan is a 67
model(I assume the bushings are original) this sounds plausable.

Can I replace them easily and safely? I got out my manual and read what to
do. Looks Like I just unbolt the end cap on the torsion bar and remove what
is left of the originals and replace with new ones. YES???

Thanks! Mike West/ chopped 66 bug.

Old April 3rd 07, 04:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dave AKA vwdoc1

Check that rear body to frame rubber mount right near the shock.

Old April 3rd 07, 05:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dragenwagen

If it is indeed the bushing... BEWARE! the spring plate (the arm) is under
alot of tension... it potentially dangerous. If not done properly that
spring plate can do some nasty things to you! Like mangle an arm or a leg
it not darn near severing it! It could kill you I suppose if you had the
wrong part of your body in the way, Like your head. There is a stop, or a
small ledge it sits on you have to pry it off and lower it SLOWLY to
release the tension. There is a tool that supposedly makes it easier or
safer...

BTW is your car lowered in the back? Is the BIG rubber bullet looking stop
thing in place? this thing...
http://www.ramva.org/dragenwagen/pics/brakeline.jpg

Was the car loaded down with 4 adults? If so... it very well could be the
suspension clunking against the metal stop. BTW it is a terrible thud when
the big rubber bullet thing is missing and the stops hit each other.... been
there heard that, replaced the rubber stop.

But if you are replacing bushings.... read and understand the process.
Follow the safety procedures!

vwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvwvw
dragenwagen
1966 Type I
http://www.ramva.org/dragenwagen
"Old VW"s don't leak oil, they mark their territory."

Old April 3rd 07, 11:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Mike West

If you are refering to the large rubber suspension limit stop, It isn't the
problem. No way I bottomed out on a bump a half inch tall.
. net...

Old April 3rd 07, 11:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Mike West

I was the only one in the car. I know it is not the rubber suspension stop.

Old April 4th 07, 02:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dave AKA vwdoc1

Nope not that one.
I am talking about the rubber cushion between the body and the frame.
Remember the body bolts to the frame/pan and there should be rubber
separating them. I have seen this cushion go bad and it will allow the
frame and body to hit causing some rather nasty bumping noises. ;-)
See it here in the first picture (large one) after they remove the bolt
http://www.vwtrendsweb.com/tech/0406.../photo_03.html
BTW I did not see the cushion in this picture.

Old April 4th 07, 11:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Mike West

I replaced all seals and the body to pan seal when I rebuilt the car. Just
didn't think about the rear torsion bar bushings.

Mike

2002 SC2 noises [email protected] Saturn 5 November 10th 06 04:56 PM
two fan noises 92 e32 Damen Garr BMW 0 November 8th 05 04:30 AM
Front end Noises!!! ganggreen82 Jeep 4 April 15th 05 07:31 PM
e34 noises... mojo7676 BMW 1 December 28th 04 07:33 PM
Strange noises Ashley Audi 2 May 27th 04 01:40 AM