Crap!-oil leak

Old November 4th 09, 12:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
cletus

Default Crap!-oil leak

Noticed drippage on one heater box, looked like leaky valve cover gasket, so
changed it out. although gasket wasn't that old and looked good...ok thought
problem solved. Well still oil drippage there, and now also on the other
side in the same place. that is towards the front of the valve cover,
dripping on the heater box, then to the ground. a few drops every time I
park it.

So, oil cooler seal?, leaking the oil to each side? oil cooler itself? but
seems like the fan would blow any oil from there down that little doghouse
chute, front main? but no oil drips where the engine meets the trans. sump
plate is dry, no leaks.

Anybody got any ideas before I pull the engine, or a least the fan shroud??

(I guess this puts a damper on the dual carbs I was looking for a few posts
back)

Old November 4th 09, 01:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

"Cletus" > wrote in message
> Noticed drippage on one heater box, looked like leaky valve cover gasket,
> so changed it out. although gasket wasn't that old and looked good...ok
> thought problem solved. Well still oil drippage there, and now also on
> the other side in the same place. that is towards the front of the valve
> cover, dripping on the heater box, then to the ground. a few drops every
> time I park it.
>
> So, oil cooler seal?, leaking the oil to each side? oil cooler itself? but
> seems like the fan would blow any oil from there down that little doghouse
> chute, front main? but no oil drips where the engine meets the trans.
> sump plate is dry, no leaks.
>
> Anybody got any ideas before I pull the engine, or a least the fan
> shroud??
>
> (I guess this puts a damper on the dual carbs I was looking for a few
> posts back)

look up at the pushrod tubes... not uncommon for leaks where they meet the
rockerboxes...

Old November 4th 09, 03:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan Andersson[_4_]

Joey Tribiani wrote:
> "Cletus" > wrote in message
>> Noticed drippage on one heater box, looked like leaky valve cover gasket,
>> so changed it out. although gasket wasn't that old and looked good...ok
>> thought problem solved. Well still oil drippage there, and now also on
>> the other side in the same place. that is towards the front of the valve
>> cover, dripping on the heater box, then to the ground. a few drops every
>> time I park it.
>>
>> So, oil cooler seal?, leaking the oil to each side? oil cooler itself? but
>> seems like the fan would blow any oil from there down that little doghouse
>> chute, front main? but no oil drips where the engine meets the trans.
>> sump plate is dry, no leaks.
>>
>> Anybody got any ideas before I pull the engine, or a least the fan
>> shroud??
>>
>> (I guess this puts a damper on the dual carbs I was looking for a few
>> posts back)
>>

> look up at the pushrod tubes... not uncommon for leaks where they meet the
> rockerboxes...

also the rocker assembly studs can leak, as well as the bottom 4 head
studs on each side. You should put sealant under the washers on the
studs, but I don't know if you want to mess with that right now.
There's an o-ring around the base of the rocker shaft stud that is
supposed to seal it against leaks.
To gain access to the rocker stud and the o-ring, the whole rocker
assembly needs to come out. And then you'd have easy access to the head
studs, nuts and washers. Maybe loosen up one at a time, clean, apply
sealant and re-torque to spec.

A/C leak Mel P.[_2_] Jeep 3 July 23rd 09 04:19 PM
Solved Coolant Leak - Bar's Leak Explorer1994 4.0L Ford Explorer 3 November 16th 07 01:54 AM
How much oil can leak Anthony VW air cooled 8 October 29th 05 06:15 AM
1986 Accord Exi - oil leak , oil filter mount leak , burning sme remotemike Honda 1 December 27th 04 01:31 AM
Air leak? Vaccum leak? Or what? jonmarois Ford Mustang 1 November 17th 04 06:25 AM