'06 Corvette?

Old February 18th 06, 06:10 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Default '06 Corvette?

I've seen some posts on here about a purchase of a blue Corvette from
Les Stanford in Dearborn Michigan. Was supposed to happen last week
and I see nothing on here about how it worked out. Also looks like
they forgot to take it off their web site after it was sold. Vin
number 1G1YY25U865105540 I believe.

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Old February 18th 06, 07:20 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Its mine (same VIN). . Took delivery of it from them about 2 weeks ago
; I flew out to Dearborn,Mich and picked it up. Drove it back to
northern illinois -- 5.5 hour trip. Everything worked out real well
with the purchase, the dealer, and the car. Got it for $4900 off of
sticker. Its a 2006 LS2 with Targa top and base (LT1) package. I
averaged 26 mpg driving home varying the speed from 60-90 mph most of
the trip , as GM recommends. Getting some bolt ons done soon : Dynatech
Header/cats/x pipe with Route 66 catback , Hallteck CAI, 160 f stat, and
Tune. I also opened up the two end plastic blanks of the frontal lower
shroud so ram air can enter the engine bay on each side -- GM should
have done this to get some good airflow across the motor.

I love the car and its engineering. Dont like the 1-4 shift but am
getting that taken out with the Tune. How do you like yours ? Any
problems/recalls, etc ???

Dave

Old February 20th 06, 12:01 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

dave wrote:
> Its mine (same VIN). . Took delivery of it from them about 2 weeks ago
> ; I flew out to Dearborn,Mich and picked it up. Drove it back to
> northern illinois -- 5.5 hour trip. Everything worked out real well
> with the purchase, the dealer, and the car. Got it for $4900 off of
> sticker. Its a 2006 LS2 with Targa top and base (LT1) package. I
> averaged 26 mpg driving home varying the speed from 60-90 mph most of
> the trip , as GM recommends. Getting some bolt ons done soon : Dynatech
> Header/cats/x pipe with Route 66 catback , Hallteck CAI, 160 f stat, and
> Tune. I also opened up the two end plastic blanks of the frontal lower
> shroud so ram air can enter the engine bay on each side -- GM should
> have done this to get some good airflow across the motor.

Probably due to front end lift, drag and mileage considerations. But
then they're merely automotive engineers with access to windtunnels the
like.

Old February 20th 06, 02:54 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Bob I wrote:

> dave wrote:
>> Its mine (same VIN). . Took delivery of it from them about 2 weeks ago
>> ; I flew out to Dearborn,Mich and picked it up. Drove it back to
>> northern illinois -- 5.5 hour trip. Everything worked out real well
>> with the purchase, the dealer, and the car. Got it for $4900 off of
>> sticker. Its a 2006 LS2 with Targa top and base (LT1) package. I
>> averaged 26 mpg driving home varying the speed from 60-90 mph most of
>> the trip , as GM recommends. Getting some bolt ons done soon : Dynatech
>> Header/cats/x pipe with Route 66 catback , Hallteck CAI, 160 f stat, and
>> Tune. I also opened up the two end plastic blanks of the frontal lower
>> shroud so ram air can enter the engine bay on each side -- GM should
>> have done this to get some good airflow across the motor.

> Probably due to front end lift, drag and mileage considerations. But
> then they're merely automotive engineers with access to windtunnels the
> like.

IIRC front airflow got 're-engineered' a couple of times after high
speed trials in Germany. Effort was to trade-off some top speed drag
against improved brake cooling.

--
…PJ
’89 HookerCar, ’02 E-blu 6-spd Coupe
Old February 20th 06, 03:32 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

"Bob I" > wrote in message

> dave wrote:
>> Its mine (same VIN). . Took delivery of it from them about 2 weeks
>> ago
>> ; I flew out to Dearborn,Mich and picked it up. Drove it back to
>> northern illinois -- 5.5 hour trip. Everything worked out real
>> well
>> with the purchase, the dealer, and the car. Got it for $4900 off of
>> sticker. Its a 2006 LS2 with Targa top and base (LT1) package.

There is no LT1 package, look it up.

>> averaged 26 mpg driving home varying the speed from 60-90 mph most
>> of
>> the trip , as GM recommends.

GM recomends 60-90 miles per hour on the public roads?

>>Getting some bolt ons done soon : Dynatech
>> Header/cats/x pipe with Route 66 catback , Hallteck CAI, 160 f
>> stat, and
>> Tune. I also opened up the two end plastic blanks of the frontal
>> lower
>> shroud so ram air can enter the engine bay on each side -- GM
>> should
>> have done this to get some good airflow across the motor.

> Probably due to front end lift, drag and mileage considerations. But
> then they're merely automotive engineers with access to windtunnels
> the like.

But what do they know, right? Plus they offer a suspension brake, and
tire package to handle the base engine better and don't let the Z06
out of their sight without a suspension brake, and tire package to
handle that HP. Then it hits the public and without regard to the
other people on the road they will build the engine to preform way
past its design limits, go figure.

>> I love the car and its engineering. Dont like the 1-4 shift but am
>> getting that taken out with the Tune. How do you like yours ? Any
>> problems/recalls, etc ???
>>
>> Dave

Do a search, I've not been bashful about what I've said about the C6,
it's the best Corvette yet. That's the way it works, the newer they
are then the better they better be.

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Old February 20th 06, 03:42 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

"PJ" > wrote in message
> Bob I wrote:
>>

>> dave wrote:
>>> Its mine (same VIN). . Took delivery of it from them about 2
>>> weeks ago
>>> ; I flew out to Dearborn,Mich and picked it up. Drove it back to
>>> northern illinois -- 5.5 hour trip. Everything worked out real
>>> well
>>> with the purchase, the dealer, and the car. Got it for $4900 off
>>> of
>>> sticker. Its a 2006 LS2 with Targa top and base (LT1) package. I
>>> averaged 26 mpg driving home varying the speed from 60-90 mph most
>>> of
>>> the trip , as GM recommends. Getting some bolt ons done soon :
>>> Dynatech
>>> Header/cats/x pipe with Route 66 catback , Hallteck CAI, 160 f
>>> stat, and
>>> Tune. I also opened up the two end plastic blanks of the frontal
>>> lower
>>> shroud so ram air can enter the engine bay on each side -- GM
>>> should
>>> have done this to get some good airflow across the motor.

>> Probably due to front end lift, drag and mileage considerations.
>> But then they're merely automotive engineers with access to
>> windtunnels the like.
>>

> IIRC front airflow got 're-engineered' a couple of times after high
> speed trials in Germany. Effort was to trade-off some top speed
> drag against improved brake cooling.

All four breaks have air ducts but they didn't stick them out front
and the side like they did on the rear of the C5 Z06, they're on the
underside. May have come from some of that testing as you suggest.
I've only had it up to speed once and could not detect any lift, but I
was busy right then. That's another reason I would like to see the
HUD's G meter and tach as numbers like the speedometer, easier to see
at a quick glance.

Old February 20th 06, 04:35 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

"PJ" > wrote in message
>>> I also opened up the two end plastic blanks of the
>>> frontal lower
>>> shroud so ram air can enter the engine bay on each
>>> side -- GM should
>>> have done this to get some good airflow across the
>>> motor.

>> Probably due to front end lift, drag and mileage
>> considerations. But then they're merely automotive
>> engineers with access to windtunnels the like.
>>

> IIRC front airflow got 're-engineered' a couple of
> times after high speed trials in Germany. Effort was
> to trade-off some top speed drag against improved
> brake cooling.

I saw a documentary
(http://shopping.discovery.com/product-56588.html) on
the Discovery channel last week about the development
of the C6 (old news to the group?). At the speed
trials in Germany, there was a problem with front end
lift with the larger brake cooling vents. They tried
smaller vents but the brakes got too hot. I don't know
if this is the same thing you're talking about.

Tip, '99 C5 coupe

Old February 20th 06, 05:06 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Dad wrote:

>"Bob I" > wrote in message
>

>>dave wrote:
>>

>>>Its mine (same VIN). . Took delivery of it from them about 2 weeks
>>>ago
>>>; I flew out to Dearborn,Mich and picked it up. Drove it back to
>>>northern illinois -- 5.5 hour trip. Everything worked out real
>>>well
>>>with the purchase, the dealer, and the car. Got it for $4900 off of
>>>sticker. Its a 2006 LS2 with Targa top and base (LT1) package.
>>>

>There is no LT1 package, look it up.

hehehehehehe

>>>averaged 26 mpg driving home varying the speed from 60-90 mph most
>>>of
>>>the trip , as GM recommends.
>>>

>GM recomends 60-90 miles per hour on the public roads?
>

>>>Getting some bolt ons done soon : Dynatech
>>>Header/cats/x pipe with Route 66 catback , Hallteck CAI, 160 f
>>>stat, and
>>>Tune. I also opened up the two end plastic blanks of the frontal
>>>lower
>>>shroud so ram air can enter the engine bay on each side -- GM
>>>should
>>>have done this to get some good airflow across the motor.
>>>

>>Probably due to front end lift, drag and mileage considerations. But
>>then they're merely automotive engineers with access to windtunnels
>>the like.
>>

>But what do they know, right? Plus they offer a suspension brake, and
>tire package to handle the base engine better and don't let the Z06
>out of their sight without a suspension brake, and tire package to
>handle that HP. Then it hits the public and without regard to the
>other people on the road they will build the engine to preform way
>past its design limits, go figure.
>

>>>I love the car and its engineering. Dont like the 1-4 shift but am
>>>getting that taken out with the Tune. How do you like yours ? Any
>>>problems/recalls, etc ???
>>>
>>>Dave
>>>

>Do a search, I've not been bashful about what I've said about the C6,
>it's the best Corvette yet. That's the way it works, the newer they
>are then the better they better be.

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler

http://www.pcola.gulf.net/~ricseyler
remove -SPAM- from email address
--------------------------------------
"Homer no function beer well without."
- H.J. Simpson

Old February 20th 06, 07:02 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Tip wrote:
>>> Probably due to front end lift, drag and mileage
>>> considerations. But then they're merely automotive
>>> engineers with access to windtunnels the like.
>>>

>> IIRC front airflow got 're-engineered' a couple of
>> times after high speed trials in Germany. Effort was
>> to trade-off some top speed drag against improved
>> brake cooling.

> I saw a documentary
> (http://shopping.discovery.com/product-56588.html) on
> the Discovery channel last week about the development
> of the C6 (old news to the group?). At the speed
> trials in Germany, there was a problem with front end
> lift with the larger brake cooling vents. They tried
> smaller vents but the brakes got too hot. I don't know
> if this is the same thing you're talking about.
>
> Tip, '99 C5 coupe

Yup, same story. Read it while waiting for a haircut about a year ago.
The game was to keep the front end loaded while keeping the brake temps
at/near Vmax below those of Porsche and other German iron.

IIRC, the work was all cut-and-try in Germany (flying prototype parts in
from the U.S.) during the drive-off at Nürburgring. This, in contrast
to formal tuft-grid or 3-D studies in a wind tunnel. Sometimes it's
quicker, easier and less costly for experienced mechanics & metalsmiths
to cut-and-try than for a bunch of engineers to screw around in a tunnel.

As Dad says, each one gets better and the "perfect" wind tunnel solution
can wait for the C7. (Assuming that GM will still be able to spring for
tunnel time.)

There was a great note on CNN regarding Ford. They now have
"preferential" parking areas in their employee lots. Drivers of Ford
products get the preferred spots. If you work for Ford, buying rice is
OK, but you will be relegated to the back row. --- I like it!

Have a great holiday everyone. Fly the flag.
Old February 20th 06, 09:48 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

"PJ" > wrote in message
> Tip wrote:

Snip the good stuff
> Sometimes it's quicker, easier and less costly for experienced
> mechanics & metalsmiths to cut-and-try than for a bunch of engineers
> to screw around in a tunnel.

That's Brokeback Mountain you're thinking of, but I didn't know there
was a tunnel there.

An old cowboy sat down at the Star bucks and ordered a cup of coffee.

As he sat sipping his coffee, a young woman sat down next to him.

She turned to the cowboy and asked, "Are you a real cowboy?"

He replied, "Well, I've spent my whole life breaking colts, working
cows, going to rodeos, fixing fences, pulling calves,bailing hay,
doctoring calves, cleaning my barn, fixing flats, working on tractors,
and feeding my dogs, so I guess I am a cowboy."

She said, "I'm a lesbian. I spend my whole day thinking about women.
As soon as I get up in the morning, I think about women. When I
shower, I think about women. When I watch TV, I think about women. I
even think about women when I eat. It seems that everything makes me
think of women."

The two sat sipping in silence.

A little while later, a man sat down on the other side of the old
cowboy and asked, "Are you a real cowboy?"

He replied, "I always thought I was, but I just found out that I'm a
lesbian."

> As Dad says, each one gets better and the "perfect" wind tunnel
> solution can wait for the C7. (Assuming that GM will still be able
> to spring for tunnel time.)

You should see the multi intrest groups endevor in the wind
tunnel/tersting facility being built down by BMW in Greer SC. I don't
remember all of the details right now but it is said that NASCAR will
be using it as well as some of the major car manufactures. May also
have some of the pointy heads from the higher learning facilities down
that way using it if they can get Bubba to show them how.

> There was a great note on CNN regarding Ford. They now have
> "preferential" parking areas in their employee lots. Drivers of
> Ford products get the preferred spots. If you work for Ford, buying
> rice is OK, but you will be relegated to the back row. --- I like
> it!

Not new for Fold, oops, Ford to do that, it was that way in the
sixties. When ever we had a Rep. go in there we made darn sure he was
driving a Ford. Chrysler did the same thing at some of their plants as
well as GM.

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51