Arse.... that's 3 of 4 cars down at the moment!

Old May 20th 10, 07:40 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
SteveH[_3_]

Default Arse.... that's 3 of 4 cars down at the moment!

It's a while since I posted this - but thought I'd update it.

Yes, it was a driveshaft donut.

The expensive one at the back.

The front and middle looked like they'd been replaced, but the rear
one had a big chunk missing. Oooops.

Anyway - MOT passed, some advisories..... I'm sure you can guess what!
(but he did note that it wasn't penetrable), so I'll be giving it a
good coat of Waxoyl ASAP.

It's back now, ready for a trip to Coventry tomorrow.... the Prius is
in for an overdue service and the Cinq. wouldn't start on Saturday,
but would today! - strange things, Italian cars. (Needed it at the
weekend, as the radiator fan motor has burned out and I have a
replacement to fit, can't do a run in this weather without one)

Paid the Cinq. bill, need to pay the 75 bill.... then have to MOT the
Duke.

Expensive hobby, bikes and cars.

--
Steve H

Old May 20th 10, 09:01 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

SteveH wrote:
> It's a while since I posted this - but thought I'd update it.
>
> Yes, it was a driveshaft donut.
>
> The expensive one at the back.
>
> The front and middle looked like they'd been replaced, but the rear
> one had a big chunk missing. Oooops.
>
> Anyway - MOT passed, some advisories..... I'm sure you can guess what!
> (but he did note that it wasn't penetrable), so I'll be giving it a
> good coat of Waxoyl ASAP.
>
> It's back now, ready for a trip to Coventry tomorrow.... the Prius is
> in for an overdue service and the Cinq. wouldn't start on Saturday,
> but would today! - strange things, Italian cars. (Needed it at the
> weekend, as the radiator fan motor has burned out and I have a
> replacement to fit, can't do a run in this weather without one)
>
> Paid the Cinq. bill, need to pay the 75 bill.... then have to MOT the
> Duke.
>
> Expensive hobby, bikes and cars.

Innit? New rear pads and discs on the GTV, £151. Two new tyres £214

And the insurance for them both just came through: £1200

116 Giulietta 3.0l Sprint 1.7 GTV TS GT 3.2 V6
Triumph Sprint ST 1050: It's blue, see.
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old May 21st 10, 09:00 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Zathras

On Thu, 20 May 2010 21:01:32 +0100, Catman
> wrote:

>> Expensive hobby, bikes and cars.

>Innit? New rear pads and discs on the GTV, £151. Two new tyres £214
>
>And the insurance for them both just came through: £1200

LOL..you guys have cheap cars. *One* tyre for me is 270UKP from
eTyres..

Scotland
Alfa Romeo 156 2.4JTD Veloce Leather (sold)
'Oil' be seeing you..
(Email must have the word 'Alfa' in the
subject line to get through auto-filtering)
Old May 21st 10, 11:39 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

Zathras wrote:
> On Thu, 20 May 2010 21:01:32 +0100, Catman
> > wrote:
>
>>> Expensive hobby, bikes and cars.

>> Innit? New rear pads and discs on the GTV, £151. Two new tyres £214
>>
>> And the insurance for them both just came through: £1200

> LOL..you guys have cheap cars. *One* tyre for me is 270UKP from
> eTyres..

FFS! What is it?
TBH I am expecting my tyres to be a smidge more costly than the P6000s
on Rachel's GTV>

Old May 21st 10, 05:15 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
SteveH[_2_]

Catman > wrote:

> Zathras wrote:

> >> Innit? New rear pads and discs on the GTV, £151. Two new tyres £214
> >>
> >> And the insurance for them both just came through: £1200

> > LOL..you guys have cheap cars. *One* tyre for me is 270UKP from
> > eTyres..
> >

> FFS! What is it?
> TBH I am expecting my tyres to be a smidge more costly than the P6000s
> on Rachel's GTV>

It'll be one of those silly Kraut runflat things which ruin the
carefully engineered ride and handling of the 'ultimate driving
machine'.
--
SteveH
Old May 21st 10, 07:04 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

SteveH wrote:
> Catman > wrote:
>
>> Zathras wrote:
>>> On Thu, 20 May 2010 21:01:32 +0100, Catman

>>> LOL..you guys have cheap cars. *One* tyre for me is 270UKP from
>>> eTyres..
>>>

>> FFS! What is it?
>> TBH I am expecting my tyres to be a smidge more costly than the P6000s
>> on Rachel's GTV>

> It'll be one of those silly Kraut runflat things which ruin the
> carefully engineered ride and handling of the 'ultimate driving
> machine'.

ooooh yes

Old May 22nd 10, 12:51 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Zathras

On Fri, 21 May 2010 11:39:18 +0100, Catman
> wrote:

>Zathras wrote:

>>> Innit? New rear pads and discs on the GTV, £151. Two new tyres £214
>>>
>>> And the insurance for them both just came through: £1200

>> LOL..you guys have cheap cars. *One* tyre for me is 270UKP from
>> eTyres..
>>

>FFS! What is it?
>TBH I am expecting my tyres to be a smidge more costly than the P6000s
>on Rachel's GTV>

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ZP 255/35 ZR 18 90W (Run Flat). The 'run
flat' bit is the major wallet killer.

Old May 22nd 10, 01:19 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Zathras

On Fri, 21 May 2010 17:15:00 +0100, (SteveH)
wrote:

>Catman > wrote:
>
>> Zathras wrote:
>> > On Thu, 20 May 2010 21:01:32 +0100, Catman

>> > LOL..you guys have cheap cars. *One* tyre for me is 270UKP from
>> > eTyres..
>> >

>> FFS! What is it?
>> TBH I am expecting my tyres to be a smidge more costly than the P6000s
>> on Rachel's GTV>

>It'll be one of those silly Kraut runflat things which ruin the
>carefully engineered ride and handling of the 'ultimate driving
>machine'.

In my case, it's Froggy run flat things.

Everybody says the ride and handling is ruined but, in my case, I like
the stiff sidewalls. The tyres don't flop about in corners and
communicate a bit more directly about the surface you're on. Yes the
ride quality might be impaired but I bought the M-Sport so ride
comfort was never going to be French regardless.

The 156 was slightly more comfortable but the much lazier suspension
set up meant that it would bog down and get utterly confused by
settled roads whereas the M-Sport (and its occupants!) follow road
contours with, dare I say, a Germanic precision. On balance, I prefer
taught body control and the run flats on mine seem to increase that
feeling.

What I'm definitely not so keen on with my tyres is that the rears
aren't going to make it to 15000 miles where the 156 would head toward
30000 miles..

Run flats are like many things in life..they're good or bad depending
on whether they match your needs, desires and expectations. Plenty
manage to choose poorly..in particular, steer well clear of BMW if
you've got a bad back would be my number one advice.

I really do miss the Afa seats though. I wish Alfa didn't claim they
"build cars to near German standards" when their seats are (or were in
the 156!) light years better..

As for "ultimate driving machine"....well it would be better if the 3
series went on a diet. Cars are so big and heavy these days..

Nasty moment of the day MLOM Driving 22 June 11th 09 02:53 PM
I didn't know blago was this big of an arse... Brent P[_1_] Driving 4 August 9th 08 05:40 PM
just a moment [email protected] Technology 3 August 8th 07 10:09 PM
Another moment of silence dwight[_1_] Ford Mustang 14 April 30th 07 01:28 AM
Time t' get off me arse... DrEntropy Alfa Romeo 14 September 10th 05 12:58 PM