I don't like this wine

Old April 16th 10, 10:30 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
GT[_13_]

Default I don't like this wine

"Catman" > wrote in message
> GT wrote:

>>> Ahh well, if it was due anyway, no harm.

>> Wallet harmed, but probably mechanical harm avoided.

> No, I was more curious as to the whining. Had it been mine, and they'd
> changed the cam belt to sort the whining, I'd be very suspicious. But
> since it needed doing anyway, I wouldn't IYSWIM.

All I can tell you is that they visually inspected and could see a tensioner
causing a problem on the aux belt. They didn't know if the whining was
coming from the aux belt or not. They removed the aux belt and started the
engine and the whining noise was still there, so they had to investigate
further. I said to them to replace the timing belt, water pump etc because
it was due and they were going into that area of the enging anyway. They
replaced that stuff and whining stopped, so I presume it must have been the
water pump, or something even more serious! They did have to replace a
balancing cog thingy in there too, so perhaps that was the problem. In a
way, I'm not bothered what it was because like we both said - it was due
anyway.