Golf Good Years? Bad Years?

Old October 3rd 08, 10:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Tube Audio[_2_]

Default Golf Good Years? Bad Years?

Hi

I am in the market for a used Golf.

Are there any years to avoid, any that stand out?

From 1999 to present,

3rd or 4th generation Golfs

Thanks

Old October 3rd 08, 10:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

The 2 door Golfs sometimes experience hinge problems.
The ign coil pack on the VR6s can be expensive if you replace them, but they
can sometimes be sealed.
Not fond of the seat adjusting cables.
I have not seen any other unusual problems......yet! lol

It is best to tell us which one(s) you are considering! ;-)

Old October 4th 08, 12:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Jim Behning[_1_]

I like my 2003 Jetta wagon but the 5 series sedan I drove a year ago
had a better feeling suspension. I do not recall how the 4 series
sedan felt as the last time I drove one was almost 6 years ago.
Golf-Jetta. Not a big difference in my book but some rear end styling.

On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 14:16:14 -0700, "Tube Audio"

Old October 4th 08, 04:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Craig[_7_]

1984!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO MK1 OR GO HOME!!!! LOL

Craig

Old October 4th 08, 02:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Jim Behning[_1_]

I had a 1980 and a 1984. I could not talk on my cell phone which I
guess was ok. Even with a higher 5th gear which was noticeably
quieter. The stereo was powerful enough to overcome the noise. The
suspension was a bit quirky but sort of fun on three wheels even with
bigger anti-sway bars. My 2003 is quiet. Suspension is "better." I
have used the ABS a few times. But the car weighs 3500 pounds, not
2200. The 84 with 2.0 with a knock sensor, a G-grind and a Techtonics
down pipe and muffler was fun to drive in the twisty mountains. A
diesel with no jake brake is simply no fun in the mountains.

Yes the MK1 is a fun go cart with a hopped up engine.