odometer

Old February 24th 07, 09:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Alphonse Delgado

Default odometer

i have a 1994 SL1 with 92K miles. the odometer/trip odometer just
stopped working. thank you in advance for all the help.

Old February 24th 07, 01:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
marx404

typical of that year, thru 1995 SL's. There is a tiny plastic gear that
drives the odo that breaks. It is a tedious process to replace the gear,
remove the dash, gauges, dig deep, etc. If you are mechanically inclined and
like very tiny parts, go for it, otherwise, it is an expensive and time
consuming repair. There are companies if you Google that sell that
particular odo gear.

--
marx404

Old February 25th 07, 11:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Son_Worshipper

On Feb 24, 2:19 am, (Alphonse Delgado) wrote:
> i have a 1994 SL1 with 92K miles. the odometer/trip odometer just
> stopped working. thank you in advance for all the help.

Go to http://www.odometergears.com. They have the gears you need. As
another poster noted, it's a fair amount of work - but the cost for
both gears is only about $50. It's usually just the small gear that
breaks, but due to the amount of work to get to the gears, I would
replace both. I have replaced the gears in 1 Saturn, 3 Volvos, and 1
Oldsmobile. The 1992 Saturn was the 2nd easiest to do. While you are
at it, you may want to replace any burned out lights in the cluster.
Having done so many of these, I would change out at least the cluster
illumination lights. The indicator lights tend not to burn out.

Terry

Old February 25th 07, 11:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Son_Worshipper

On Feb 24, 2:19 am, (Alphonse Delgado) wrote:
> i have a 1994 SL1 with 92K miles. the odometer/trip odometer just
> stopped working. thank you in advance for all the help.

I realize this is a second reply. It is possible to replace the
entire cluster with a used one. Having bought several, I can tell you
that the gears were broken in over half of them. Buying new gears,
IMHO, is the way to go.

Terry

Old February 26th 07, 06:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
wavy

On Feb 25, 4:16 pm, "Son_Worshipper" > wrote:
> On Feb 24, 2:19 am, (Alphonse Delgado) wrote:
>
> > i have a 1994 SL1 with 92K miles. the odometer/trip odometer just
> > stopped working. thank you in advance for all the help.

> I realize this is a second reply. It is possible to replace the
> entire cluster with a used one. Having bought several, I can tell you
> that the gears were broken in over half of them. Buying new gears,
> IMHO, is the way to go.
>
> Terry

VERY TRUE!
I went to the junk yard looking for a replacement dash cluster and
brought home a dud!
Then I went back to the same yard and proceeded to take apart EIGHT
clusters looking
for an intact gear set. NO LUCK WHATSOEVER! Out of NINE Saturns in
the junkyard, NINE had broken gears!
(Probably because of the intense heat and UV light down here in Texas)

So - I went ahead and bought the pinion gear from plasticgears.com or
whatever it is...
THAT worked. The guy shipped pretty fast and makes a good product.

-Don C.
PS - In 95 the gear drive changed drastically - you probably would
have this problem with 1994 models and earlier.

new car odometer Bill T Audi 4 March 15th 06 05:50 PM
Odometer Glenn W BMW 1 November 7th 05 12:17 PM
94 SL odometer Terry Mosley Saturn 5 July 12th 05 12:55 PM
Odometer rikoski BMW 17 November 10th 04 08:04 PM
'94 SL1 odometer japeacock Saturn 1 June 14th 04 04:01 AM