72 Mach 1 leaking gas

Old February 14th 07, 03:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox[_1_]

Default 72 Mach 1 leaking gas

vince garcia wrote:
> WindsorFox wrote:
>> neildomo wrote:
>>> I bought a beat up 72 Mach 1 a couple weeks ago (my first project car)
>>> and probably bit off more than I can chew. I filled it up with gas
>>> yesterday, and this morning noticed it dripping gas from where the gas
>>> line comes out of the gas tank. Looks like there's an elbow coming out
>>> of the gas tank, and a hose connected to that. Not sure if the leak is
>>> from where the elbow meets the tank, or where the gas link connects to
>>> the elbow. Is there a way to quick-patch this, or should I even try? I
>>> didn't get a chance to see under the whole car, but if I try to
>>> replace that gas line, how long does that piece go (all the way to the
>>> front, or is there a gas filter in the back)?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Neil
>>>

>> Silver solder and a torch. Well, maybe not.

> Don't joke about something like that. There are people stupid enough to
> give that a try, and blow themselves up...

As long as there is someone with a camcorder and a Darwin Award trophy
in hand....

--
"One hard rule of sockpuppetry is that a sockpuppet
can't be smarter than its animator."
Old February 19th 07, 05:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
neildomo

On Feb 14, 8:57 am, WindsorFox > wrote:
> vince garcia wrote:
> > WindsorFox wrote:

> >> Silver solder and a torch. Well, maybe not.

> > Don't joke about something like that. There are people stupid enough to
> > give that a try, and blow themselves up...

> As long as there is someone with a camcorder and a Darwin Award trophy
> in hand....
>
> --
> "One hard rule of sockpuppetry is that a sockpuppet
> can't be smarter than its animator."
> - Arny Krueger

Well, after trying some 5/16 hose (why did I let the guy sell me
that?) I got some 3/8" ID host and it actually went on pretty easy. I
used clamps with the screws and got them snug. I had a full tank of
gas, and nowhere to drain it, so I probably had a quart run down my
arm as I fought with the hose for a minute, but no leaks since then
(thanks to everyone!).

I did notice that the hose seems to run rather close to the exhaust,
maybe within an inch or so. Does this sound normal? I guess by the
time the exhaust gets all the way to the back it's not all that hot,
but it just struck me as odd to put a rubber hose right there.

Thanks,
Neil

'69 Mach 1 ID. Mark C. Ford Mustang 10 May 10th 05 04:15 AM
Now my Mach-1 is really "hot!" [email protected] Ford Mustang 7 April 22nd 05 06:54 PM
any more mach 1`s ???? Michael price Ford Mustang 4 March 21st 05 05:46 PM
70 mach 1 amysam Ford Mustang 4 December 19th 04 05:18 AM
Mach 1 Matt Ford Mustang 6 November 28th 04 05:35 PM