What are some car-repair jobs you always wished you could do but have never done?

Old November 6th 17, 05:49 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair

Default What are some car-repair jobs you always wished you could do but have never done?

On Mon, 6 Nov 2017 08:25:50 -0800, The Real Bev >
wrote:

>> I buy $35 PBR pads with FF or GG friction ratings which last 30K miles or
>> so and the dust isn't objectionable.

>I'm a lousy housekeeper. I regard dust as a protective coating. What
>kind of people find brake pad dust objectionable? What kind of people
>even notice it?

People with nice shiney wheels???

>> So my factors a
>> a. Friction rating (anything less than FF is worthless)
>> b. Non-objectionable dust (the only way to know is to ask owners)
>> c. Decent life (the only way to know is to ask owners)
>>
>> Friction Coefficient Identification System for Brake Linings
>> <http://standards.sae.org/j866_200204/>

>TMI here!

The friction between the pads and bare steel rotors is much
different than the friction between the pads and the pad material
deposited on the pads. The latter is the higher.
Old November 6th 17, 05:49 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
RS Wood[_2_]

The Real Bev wrote:

> I regard dust as a protective coating.

That was a good one.
Mind if I borrow it when my wife asks me to clean up the house?
Old November 6th 17, 05:56 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
RS Wood[_2_]

wrote:

> I've always said it's what you learn AFTER you know it all that
> REALLY counts - - -

Did any of you actually *read* that paper?

I did.

It doesn't say what you imply it says.

Show me the slightest bit of technical on-topic merit that paper had with
respect to how piston rings are better now than they were in the days of
yore.

There isn't a *single* statement in that *entire* paper that backs up
*anything* you said it did.

Nothing.
And you expect me to believe because I'm an engineer and you're a mechanic
that you know more than I do about basic adult logic?

The fact of what we're trained in has *nothing* to do with the way our
brains think.

You think a high school level paper proves *something* about how piston
rings are designed better today than in yesteryear.

And yet, there's *nothing* in that entire paper about what you imply it
proves. Nothing.

Let's give up because you think I'm stupid and I think your paper doesn't
prove what you think it proves.

I think you need a few hundred courses in basic adult logic.
And you think I need all the years of experience that you have.

Let's leave it at that.
Old November 6th 17, 05:57 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Ed Pawlowski

On 11/6/2017 10:20 AM, RS Wood wrote:
> Xeno wrote:
>
>> Fractionally more than you. I watch the news on TV. That's it.

> I get my news off the net.
>
> But someone must be watching TV or cable (I don't have cable either).
>
> My point is only that people spend time watching TV so they can't say that
> taking your sweet time doing an oil change is wasted time if they're
> wasting time watching "As the World Turns" all day.

People that do not have a TV tend to have a superiority complex. Sure,
95% of it is crap, but there are some excellent shows on History,
Discovery, Science that will broaden your horizons and educate you about
the rest of the world.
Old November 6th 17, 06:02 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Vic Smith

On Mon, 6 Nov 2017 15:20:40 +0000 (UTC), RS Wood > wrote:

>Xeno wrote:
>
>> Up to a point, I agree with you. Where I disagree is that most people
>> use them incorrectly (backwards) or size them inappropriately. They are
>> no different to an open end spanner when used correctly and, need it be
>> said, they are of a decent quality. When working on earthmoving
>> equipment, the most common adjustables I used were 15". 18" and 24". You
>> have no idea how many different spanners those three adjustables
>> replaced. In field work you need to cart *all your tools* with you. You
>> always look to minimise that load.

>I should have made it clear that I was just kidding about making them
>illegal.
>
>I fully understand the *need* for the adustable wrenches, and I have a
>Craftsman 3-piece set myself, which I almost never use.
>
>I've probably used one about twenty times in forty years.
>
>My beef is when people use them on "my stuff" when they have a perfectly
>good socket wrench in the truck just 100 feet away.

I don't have any crescent wrenches, and would never buy one.
I used them as kid on my bicycles.
The last time I used one was when I was working for a plumber 35 years ago, and that's what
he used for valve compression fittings. I couldn't fault him for that, but if I carried my
own tools on that job I would have brought some open end wrenches with me.
Old November 6th 17, 06:04 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
RS Wood[_2_]

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> People that do not have a TV tend to have a superiority complex. Sure,
> 95% of it is crap, but there are some excellent shows on History,
> Discovery, Science that will broaden your horizons and educate you about
> the rest of the world.

Ask me *anything* about "history, discovery, science, and the rest of the
world".

What makes you think that only watching TV will gain you that information?
Old November 6th 17, 06:08 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
RS Wood[_2_]

Vic Smith wrote:

> I don't have any crescent wrenches, and would never buy one.
> I used them as kid on my bicycles.
> The last time I used one was when I was working for a plumber 35 years ago, and that's what
> he used for valve compression fittings. I couldn't fault him for that, but if I carried my
> own tools on that job I would have brought some open end wrenches with me.

Yup. The ones I see using them are the fix-it guys that come to the house,
less and less lately, as I do more and more since I have all the time in
the world now.

I taught my kids and grandkids to use the right tool for the right job.

For example, a screwdriver is for screws. Nothing else.
A pair of pliers is for things that you don't have wrenches for.

And I can't think of any good reason most of the time for an adjustable
wrench, although it's valid if you're hanging upside down out of a hotair
balloon where the correct socket or open-end or box wrench is down on the
ground next to the parts truck.
Old November 6th 17, 06:10 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 6 Nov 2017 08:37:17 -0800, The Real Bev >
wrote:

>>> Sometimes things like power lock actuators and some electrical
>>> connections

>88 Caddy driver's window/door controls stopped working long ago. Stupid
>motor-driven passenger-side mirror just unstuck itself from the mirror
>and would have required removing the entire dashboard and AC to replace.
> Whoever thought of the stupid electrical trunk-lid grabbing latch
>should have been flayed alive. Engine ran fine up to the 90K end, it
>was just the rest of the stuff that died.
>
>> I was watching a video by the MythBusters on how to get out of a car that
>> is sinking in a pond (pool in their case) where someone mentions to roll
>> down the windows ... heh heh ...

>They claimed that power windows would work long enough to allow them to
>be rolled down. Do they assume it would take minutes for the electrical
>system to short out? Is that reasonable?

12 volt systems will NOT "short out" in water. I know guys that used
old heater motors as electric trolling motors. Being water cooled they
can run an old 6 volt motor on 24 without burning them out and get
lots of power out of them.