What are some car-repair jobs you always wished you could do but have never done?

Old November 6th 17, 05:34 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
RS Wood[_2_]

Default What are some car-repair jobs you always wished you could do but have never done?

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Dealer may be 1 hour at $75

That's a joke, right?

I realize in *some* parts of the US, the dealer may be more than half what
they are here, but it's closer to $200 and even an Indy is at $100 an hour
here.

In a sense, it makes even more sense to DIY here than wherever you are,
since the price difference between you and me for the shop rate is
enormous.
Old November 6th 17, 05:37 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
RS Wood[_2_]

rbowman wrote:

> Cheaper? No, you're wrong on that one.

Let's give up on the FWD.
If you think they're made for handling in the snow, then they'd come with
snow plows on the front.

OK. I'm joking, but they're not made for handling.
They're just not.

No logical person on this planet can argue that with another logical
person.

Since at least one of us isn't thinking logically, and since you think it's
me and I think it's you, let's just give up, because both of us can be
right on that but given that, we'll get nowhere.

You think it's all about handling.
OK. You keep believing that.
Old November 6th 17, 05:37 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
The Real Bev[_5_]

On 11/05/2017 08:48 PM, RS Wood wrote:
> wrote:
>
>>>What doesn't last longer on a car nowadays?

>> Sometimes things like power lock actuators and some electrical
>> connections

88 Caddy driver's window/door controls stopped working long ago. Stupid
motor-driven passenger-side mirror just unstuck itself from the mirror
and would have required removing the entire dashboard and AC to replace.
Whoever thought of the stupid electrical trunk-lid grabbing latch
should have been flayed alive. Engine ran fine up to the 90K end, it
was just the rest of the stuff that died.

> I was watching a video by the MythBusters on how to get out of a car that
> is sinking in a pond (pool in their case) where someone mentions to roll
> down the windows ... heh heh ...

They claimed that power windows would work long enough to allow them to
be rolled down. Do they assume it would take minutes for the electrical
system to short out? Is that reasonable?

> When's the last time you saw a roll-down window?

Our 70 Dodge pickup has them. What you can't get is the stuff that
keeps the windows from rattling.

For a while I thought I wanted a car intended for third-world repair
capabilities -- everything possible manual, etc. And then I
discovered the joy of pushing the tiny button on the key that unlocks
the doors :-(

--
Cheers, Bev
"Qui custodiet ipsos custodes?" --Juvenal
Old November 6th 17, 05:40 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
RS Wood[_2_]

rbowman wrote:

>> When's the last time you saw a roll-down window?

> About 12 hours ago when I parked the car.

That made me laugh!
Thanks.

I think I'm only going to respond though, to the posts that aren't already
in the dirt (the fwd is in the dirt, the warp is in the dirt, the piston
rings is in the dirt, and the drilled rotors are in the dirt).

But there was a lot more in this thread than those few topics.

I learned a LOT from you all.
Thanks.
Old November 6th 17, 05:42 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 6 Nov 2017 10:26:57 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 11/6/2017 12:28 AM, Xeno wrote:

>>> For me, I get a new car when the old car has a repair that isn't worth
>>> paying. That's less likely nowadays as I'm retired on a low budget.
>>>

>> I've been buying new cars since retirement - two last year.
>>

>Never bought two in one yer even when my wife was still driving. She
>usually got my hand me down. I just bought a new car two weeks ago. I
>honestly can't give you a valid reason for doing so other than I like
>the color better.
>
>The guy that gets my old one with 38k miles is getting a real cream puff.

I've owned ONE new car in my life (actually a truck) - 1976 Dodge
Ramcharger SE.
Old November 6th 17, 05:43 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
RS Wood[_2_]

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Intelligent people question
> Arrogant people think the know everything.

Did you even *read* that paper?
Or did you just look at the pretty pictures?

It didn't cover ring complexity any more than a high-school student would.

That's a fact.

If you read the paper, then show me where in that paper it covered
*anything* the least bit complex about piston rings?

I'm waiting....
Old November 6th 17, 05:46 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair

https://upcommons.upc.edu/bitstream/...pdf?sequence=1
>> Not to denigrate the GOOD engineers out there - but he sure thinks
>> like a typical engineer - - - One with no practical experience and a
>> "god complex" only exceded by orthopedic surgeons.
>>

>Intelligent people question
>Arrogant people think the know everything.

I've always said it's what you learn AFTER you know it all that
REALLY counts - - -
Old November 6th 17, 05:46 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
RS Wood[_2_]

RS Wood wrote:

> Let's get back to reality, shall we.
> I never said that the design of *anything* is super complex at the stage of
> designing the perfect system. I even said that a spark plug is complex at
> that level.

Correction.

"I never said that the design of *anything* /isn't/ super complex at the
stage of designing the perfect system."