Headlamps again....

Old January 4th 12, 08:44 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
TonyB

Default Headlamps again....

Hi all,
2004 156 facelift takes H7 dip bulbs. I don't seem to be able to get them to
line up in their sockets. There's a little tab which will fit in any damn
position I choose with the result that either the main beam is too low when
the dips are OK, or the main is OK but dips high.

Firstly, are these the correct lamps? H7's were in it when I got it so I'm
replacing like for like.

Second, does anyone know which way the tab should be, up, down or at about
30º?

Thanks
TonyB

Old January 8th 12, 08:53 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
R C Nesbit

TonyB spoke:
> 2004 156 facelift takes H7 dip bulbs. I don't seem to be able to get them to
> line up in their sockets. There's a little tab which will fit in any damn
> position I choose with the result that either the main beam is too low when
> the dips are OK, or the main is OK but dips high.
>
> Firstly, are these the correct lamps? H7's were in it when I got it so I'm
> replacing like for like.
>
> Second, does anyone know which way the tab should be, up, down or at about
> 30º?

Pass - I'm only to relieved when I actually get the bloody things back in when
I've done bulbs on my 2003 facelift.

--
Rob Pearson
156 1.9jtd sportwagon (now)

Old January 8th 12, 03:25 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
TonyB

"R C Nesbit" > wrote in message
> TonyB spoke:
>> 2004 156 facelift takes H7 dip bulbs. I don't seem to be able to get them
>> line up in their sockets. There's a little tab which will fit in any damn
>> position I choose with the result that either the main beam is too low
>> when
>> the dips are OK, or the main is OK but dips high.
>>
>> Firstly, are these the correct lamps? H7's were in it when I got it so
>> I'm
>> replacing like for like.
>>
>> Second, does anyone know which way the tab should be, up, down or at
>> about
>> 30º?

> Pass - I'm only to relieved when I actually get the bloody things back in
> when
> I've done bulbs on my 2003 facelift.
>
> --
> Rob Pearson
> 156 1.9jtd sportwagon (now)
> 164 V6 Lusso (gone)
> 147 2.0TS lusso (Hers)
>
>Just having another bash now, I'll report back later

TonyB

Old January 8th 12, 06:50 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
TonyB

"TonyB" > wrote in message

> "R C Nesbit" > wrote in message
>> TonyB spoke:
>>> 2004 156 facelift takes H7 dip bulbs. I don't seem to be able to get
>>> them to
>>> line up in their sockets. There's a little tab which will fit in any
>>> damn
>>> position I choose with the result that either the main beam is too low
>>> when
>>> the dips are OK, or the main is OK but dips high.
>>>
>>> Firstly, are these the correct lamps? H7's were in it when I got it so
>>> I'm
>>> replacing like for like.
>>>
>>> Second, does anyone know which way the tab should be, up, down or at
>>> about
>>> 30º?

>> Pass - I'm only to relieved when I actually get the bloody things back in
>> when
>> I've done bulbs on my 2003 facelift.
>>
>> --
>> Rob Pearson
>> 156 1.9jtd sportwagon (now)
>> 164 V6 Lusso (gone)
>> 147 2.0TS lusso (Hers)
>>
>>Just having another bash now, I'll report back later

> TonyB

Phew, just got in. Took half an hour to remove the blower fan resistor and
solder in a new fuse and refit to my wife's Picasso and
2 hours to reset the headlamp bulbs and test in the Alfa. I've finally gone
for the tabs at the bottom which makes the dip beam pattern
good and appears normal but the mains are a little high. It's set on the
highest point possible on the under bonnet adjusters and also on the highest
in car setting. If I'm using the main beam a lot I can turn them down a
little from inside but the dips are now acceptable.

What a palaver though. Looking in with a torch and a mirror shows no obvious
indent for the tab to sit in so the darned bulb can go in in any
position.

I love Alfa's but my God this fitting is a lash up.

TonyB

Old January 9th 12, 02:04 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
R C Nesbit

TonyB spoke:
> Phew, just got in. Took half an hour to remove the blower fan resistor and
> solder in a new fuse and refit to my wife's Picasso and
> 2 hours to reset the headlamp bulbs and test in the Alfa. I've finally gone
> for the tabs at the bottom which makes the dip beam pattern
> good and appears normal but the mains are a little high. It's set on the
> highest point possible on the under bonnet adjusters and also on the highest
> in car setting. If I'm using the main beam a lot I can turn them down a
> little from inside but the dips are now acceptable.
>
> What a palaver though. Looking in with a torch and a mirror shows no obvious
> indent for the tab to sit in so the darned bulb can go in in any
> position.
>
> I love Alfa's but my God this fitting is a lash up.

Could be worse - someone in another place reported that *any* bulb in his VW is
designated a VW dealer-only service item, and was quoted £silly including 2
hours labour!

--
Rob Pearson
156 1.9jtd sportwagon (now)

Old January 9th 12, 10:59 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
TonyB

"R C Nesbit" > wrote in message
> TonyB spoke:
>> Phew, just got in. Took half an hour to remove the blower fan resistor
>> and
>> solder in a new fuse and refit to my wife's Picasso and
>> 2 hours to reset the headlamp bulbs and test in the Alfa. I've finally
>> gone
>> for the tabs at the bottom which makes the dip beam pattern
>> good and appears normal but the mains are a little high. It's set on the
>> highest point possible on the under bonnet adjusters and also on the
>> highest
>> in car setting. If I'm using the main beam a lot I can turn them down a
>> little from inside but the dips are now acceptable.
>>
>> What a palaver though. Looking in with a torch and a mirror shows no
>> obvious
>> indent for the tab to sit in so the darned bulb can go in in any
>> position.
>>
>> I love Alfa's but my God this fitting is a lash up.

> Could be worse - someone in another place reported that *any* bulb in his
> VW is
> designated a VW dealer-only service item, and was quoted £silly including
> 2
> hours labour!

Jeepers. I'll stop moaning then. Although it has to go in Thursday for a
suspension clonking. Hope it's the other roll bar bush.....

TonyB

Old January 13th 12, 10:28 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
TonyB

"TonyB" > wrote in message

> "R C Nesbit" > wrote in message
>> TonyB spoke:
>>> Phew, just got in. Took half an hour to remove the blower fan resistor
>>> and
>>> solder in a new fuse and refit to my wife's Picasso and
>>> 2 hours to reset the headlamp bulbs and test in the Alfa. I've finally
>>> gone
>>> for the tabs at the bottom which makes the dip beam pattern
>>> good and appears normal but the mains are a little high. It's set on the
>>> highest point possible on the under bonnet adjusters and also on the
>>> highest
>>> in car setting. If I'm using the main beam a lot I can turn them down a
>>> little from inside but the dips are now acceptable.
>>>
>>> What a palaver though. Looking in with a torch and a mirror shows no
>>> obvious
>>> indent for the tab to sit in so the darned bulb can go in in any
>>> position.
>>>
>>> I love Alfa's but my God this fitting is a lash up.

>> Could be worse - someone in another place reported that *any* bulb in his
>> VW is
>> designated a VW dealer-only service item, and was quoted £silly including
>> 2
>> hours labour!

> Jeepers. I'll stop moaning then. Although it has to go in Thursday for a
> suspension clonking. Hope it's the other roll bar bush.....

It was. £43 all in but I gather the Alfa Workshop would have done it for
£30. The distance to Royston made that uneconomical this time though.
TonyB

Identifying headlamps [email protected] Antique cars 3 October 20th 06 06:22 AM
Lund headlamps vincent Antique cars 1 July 3rd 06 12:17 AM
New Headlamps Jim S. Ford Mustang 5 January 13th 05 04:54 AM
New Headlamps -- cost v. value '96 black on, black in, black over Mazda 3 December 29th 04 02:12 AM
A2 Projector headlamps Mr.Eddy VW water cooled 12 November 17th 04 04:11 AM