The 'Teg might finally be pooched...

Old August 16th 10, 02:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Tegger[_3_]

Default The 'Teg might finally be pooched...

Oil consumption in the old '91 Integra seems to be increasing very rapidly.
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/oil-graph.pdf

Throttle-body annual inspection & clean Aug14/10:
- oil is now VERY evident -- carbon is now wet, and throttle plate sticks
slightly before cleaning is performed;
- intake plenum obviously coated with oil inside;
- exhaust emits brief puff of smoke when transmission is shifted at very
high revs (not visible to driver, but is visible to following car).

Funny though, the car just passed smog with wonderul numbers back in the
spring, and it starts and runs as well as ever. But gas mileage has dropped
by about 1 mpg in the past year:
2008: 29.79 mpg
2009: 29.91 mpg
2010: 28.75 mpg
(June-to-Aug, each measured interval roughly 3,000 miles)

Not good.

--
Tegger
Old August 16th 10, 04:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Grumpy AuContraire[_4_]

Tegger wrote:
> Oil consumption in the old '91 Integra seems to be increasing very rapidly.
> http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/oil-graph.pdf
>
> Throttle-body annual inspection & clean Aug14/10:
> - oil is now VERY evident -- carbon is now wet, and throttle plate sticks
> slightly before cleaning is performed;
> - intake plenum obviously coated with oil inside;
> - exhaust emits brief puff of smoke when transmission is shifted at very
> high revs (not visible to driver, but is visible to following car).
>
> Funny though, the car just passed smog with wonderul numbers back in the
> spring, and it starts and runs as well as ever. But gas mileage has dropped
> by about 1 mpg in the past year:
> 2008: 29.79 mpg
> 2009: 29.91 mpg
> 2010: 28.75 mpg
> (June-to-Aug, each measured interval roughly 3,000 miles)
>
> Not good.

You worry too much.

Put some 20/50 Castrol in it...

JT

Old August 16th 10, 06:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
ACAR

On Aug 15, 11:32*pm, Grumpy AuContraire >
wrote:
> Tegger wrote:
> > Oil consumption in the old '91 Integra seems to be increasing very rapidly.
> >http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/oil-graph.pdf

> > Throttle-body annual inspection & clean Aug14/10:
> > - oil is now VERY evident -- carbon is now wet, and throttle plate sticks
> > slightly before cleaning is performed;
> > - intake plenum obviously coated with oil inside;
> > - exhaust emits brief puff of smoke when transmission is shifted at very
> > high revs (not visible to driver, but is visible to following car).

> > Funny though, the car just passed smog with wonderul numbers back in the
> > spring, and it starts and runs as well as ever. But gas mileage has dropped
> > by about 1 mpg in the past year:
> > 2008: 29.79 mpg
> > 2009: 29.91 mpg
> > 2010: 28.75 mpg
> > (June-to-Aug, each measured interval roughly 3,000 miles)

> > Not good.

> You worry too much.
>
> Put some 20/50 Castrol in it...
>
> JT

Castrol also sells straight weight HD 30 and HD 40.
Old August 18th 10, 04:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
jim

Tegger wrote:

> Oil consumption in the old '91 Integra seems to be increasing very rapidly.
> http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/oil-graph.pdf
>
> Throttle-body annual inspection & clean Aug14/10:
> - oil is now VERY evident -- carbon is now wet, and throttle plate sticks
> slightly before cleaning is performed;
> - intake plenum obviously coated with oil inside;
> - exhaust emits brief puff of smoke when transmission is shifted at very
> high revs (not visible to driver, but is visible to following car).
>
> Funny though, the car just passed smog with wonderul numbers back in the
> spring, and it starts and runs as well as ever. But gas mileage has dropped
> by about 1 mpg in the past year:
> 2008: 29.79 mpg
> 2009: 29.91 mpg
> 2010: 28.75 mpg
> (June-to-Aug, each measured interval roughly 3,000 miles)

Why don't you measure your oil consumption over a longer interval like
you do for gas mileage. Or if your goal is to be consistently stupid
why don't you compute gas mileage based on 25 miles driving intervals?

I notice you went from 344,700 349,00 without an oil change. Thought you
claimed to change oil every 3000 miles.

-jim

Old August 19th 10, 12:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Grumpy AuContraire[_4_]

jim wrote:

> Tegger wrote:
>> Oil consumption in the old '91 Integra seems to be increasing very rapidly.
>> http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/oil-graph.pdf
>>
>> Throttle-body annual inspection & clean Aug14/10:
>> - oil is now VERY evident -- carbon is now wet, and throttle plate sticks
>> slightly before cleaning is performed;
>> - intake plenum obviously coated with oil inside;
>> - exhaust emits brief puff of smoke when transmission is shifted at very
>> high revs (not visible to driver, but is visible to following car).
>>
>> Funny though, the car just passed smog with wonderul numbers back in the
>> spring, and it starts and runs as well as ever. But gas mileage has dropped
>> by about 1 mpg in the past year:
>> 2008: 29.79 mpg
>> 2009: 29.91 mpg
>> 2010: 28.75 mpg
>> (June-to-Aug, each measured interval roughly 3,000 miles)

> Why don't you measure your oil consumption over a longer interval like
> you do for gas mileage. Or if your goal is to be consistently stupid
> why don't you compute gas mileage based on 25 miles driving intervals?
>

> I notice you went from 344,700 349,00 without an oil change. Thought you
> claimed to change oil every 3000 miles.
>
> -jim

Nuthin' misses yer beady eyes, eh?

JT
Old August 19th 10, 01:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Tegger[_3_]

jim <"sjedgingN0Sp"@m@mwt,net> wrote in
:

> Tegger wrote:
>>
>> Oil consumption in the old '91 Integra seems to be increasing very
>> rapidly. http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/oil-graph.pdf
>>
>> Throttle-body annual inspection & clean Aug14/10:
>> - oil is now VERY evident -- carbon is now wet, and throttle plate
>> sticks slightly before cleaning is performed;
>> - intake plenum obviously coated with oil inside;
>> - exhaust emits brief puff of smoke when transmission is shifted at
>> very high revs (not visible to driver, but is visible to following
>> car).
>>
>> Funny though, the car just passed smog with wonderul numbers back in
>> the spring, and it starts and runs as well as ever. But gas mileage
>> has dropped by about 1 mpg in the past year:
>> 2008: 29.79 mpg
>> 2009: 29.91 mpg
>> 2010: 28.75 mpg
>> (June-to-Aug, each measured interval roughly 3,000 miles)

> Why don't you measure your oil consumption over a longer interval like
> you do for gas mileage. Or if your goal is to be consistently stupid
> why don't you compute gas mileage based on 25 miles driving intervals?

Because with the level dropping as far as it does, as fast as it does, I
now need to top-up more frequently than before. And if I top-up, I might as
well record what I find as I go.

> I notice you went from 344,700 349,00 without an oil change. Thought
> you claimed to change oil every 3000 miles.

That particular interval was due to my 83-year-old mother having some
serious health problems, ending up in the hospital for a couple of weeks; I
had no time to do an oil change. She lives an hour away from me one-way, so
I did a lot of driving over those two weeks.

--
Tegger
Old August 19th 10, 01:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Mat

On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 01:27:52 +0000, Tegger wrote:

> Oil consumption in the old '91 Integra seems to be increasing very rapidly.
> http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/oil-graph.pdf
>
> Throttle-body annual inspection & clean Aug14/10:
> - oil is now VERY evident -- carbon is now wet, and throttle plate sticks
> slightly before cleaning is performed;
> - intake plenum obviously coated with oil inside;
> - exhaust emits brief puff of smoke when transmission is shifted at very
> high revs (not visible to driver, but is visible to following car).
>
> Funny though, the car just passed smog with wonderul numbers back in the
> spring, and it starts and runs as well as ever. But gas mileage has dropped
> by about 1 mpg in the past year:
> 2008: 29.79 mpg
> 2009: 29.91 mpg
> 2010: 28.75 mpg
> (June-to-Aug, each measured interval roughly 3,000 miles)
>
> Not good.

Any piston slap issues with that Teg? I have had them since 120k, now at
240k (kms) Just a little knocking for the 1st min on cold mornings
otherwise no problems.
Old August 19th 10, 02:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Tegger[_3_]

Mat > wrote in
news

> Any piston slap issues with that Teg?

Since about 90K miles. It's been essentially unchanged for 259K miles.

> I have had them since 120k, now
> at 240k (kms) Just a little knocking for the 1st min on cold mornings
> otherwise no problems.

My mechanic tells me piston-slap has no bearing on engine life; the engine
will die "with" it, not "of" it.

My problem with this car is simply piston-travel distance. The jalopy
spends much of its time on the highway at about 4,000 rpm, this due to a
very low-geared 5th. Pistons can only go up-and-down for so long before the
rings eventually wear out.

I have fervently wished, over the years, that I had a taller 5th...

--
Tegger
Old August 19th 10, 05:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Mat

On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 01:19:12 +0000, Tegger wrote:

> Mat > wrote in
> news >
>

>> Any piston slap issues with that Teg?

> Since about 90K miles. It's been essentially unchanged for 259K miles.
>

>> I have had them since 120k, now
>> at 240k (kms) Just a little knocking for the 1st min on cold mornings
>> otherwise no problems.
>>

> My mechanic tells me piston-slap has no bearing on engine life; the engine
> will die "with" it, not "of" it.
>
> My problem with this car is simply piston-travel distance. The jalopy
> spends much of its time on the highway at about 4,000 rpm, this due to a
> very low-geared 5th. Pistons can only go up-and-down for so long before the
> rings eventually wear out.
>
> I have fervently wished, over the years, that I had a taller 5th...

hmmm, iirc mine is at <3000 at 60mph 5th gear (90 Teg)

Old August 19th 10, 04:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
jim beam[_4_]

On 08/18/2010 09:53 PM, Mat wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Aug 2010 01:19:12 +0000, Tegger wrote:
>
>> > wrote in
>> news >>
>>

>>> Any piston slap issues with that Teg?

>> Since about 90K miles. It's been essentially unchanged for 259K miles.
>>

>>> I have had them since 120k, now
>>> at 240k (kms) Just a little knocking for the 1st min on cold mornings
>>> otherwise no problems.
>>>

>> My mechanic tells me piston-slap has no bearing on engine life; the engine
>> will die "with" it, not "of" it.
>>
>> My problem with this car is simply piston-travel distance. The jalopy
>> spends much of its time on the highway at about 4,000 rpm, this due to a
>> very low-geared 5th. Pistons can only go up-and-down for so long before the
>> rings eventually wear out.
>>
>> I have fervently wished, over the years, that I had a taller 5th...

> hmmm, iirc mine is at<3000 at 60mph 5th gear (90 Teg)

you have the ls? tegger has the rs. different 5th ratio. if you're
doing the work yourself, it's not prohibitively expensive to swap the
gears out.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum

Tegger's 'Teg passes another emissions test! Tegger[_2_] Honda 12 May 19th 09 10:17 PM
Tegger's 'Teg needs a cat... Tegger Honda 20 May 24th 08 01:08 AM
New muffler for the 'Teg! Tegger Honda 12 July 26th 07 02:00 AM
Finally..... SteveH Alfa Romeo 0 June 17th 07 11:49 AM
2000 Teg's GSR Rims for grabs [email protected] Honda 0 December 9th 04 05:36 AM