for the guys that are into recreational oil changing...

Old April 2nd 10, 10:23 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.honda,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech

Default for the guys that are into recreational oil changing...

On Fri, 02 Apr 2010 13:04:21 -0400, Bill Putney >

>> The Mystique is 14 years old now,...

>I used to have one of those. 14 years old, eh? Did you get one of the
>ones in which the engine wiring harness supplier used wire with the
>wrong type of insulation, and the insulation literally turned to dust
>after about 5 or 6 years?

No, the i sulation on the wiring has not been a problem (yet) but the
wiring connectors all seem to be a size or two too small. Almost the
only problems with the car so far have been electrical connection
failures.
Old April 2nd 10, 10:29 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.honda,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
ACAR

On Apr 2, 12:52*pm, Bill Putney > wrote:
> ACAR wrote:
> > Toyota's oil related sludge/gelling issues were pretty well
> > publicized. However, I think it is true that not one problem was cited
> > by anyone who changed their own oil.

> Which may hark back to what I was saying about oil change places and
> some dealers charging for an oil/filter change and not really doing it.
>
> --
> Bill Putney
> (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my
> address with the letter 'x')

or
that a manufacturer's oil change interval has to account for the MANY
owners who think nothing of missing an oil change every now and then.
Old April 2nd 10, 11:36 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.honda,alt.autos.toyota
Tony Harding[_5_]

On 04/02/10 15:42, FatterDumber& Happier Moe wrote:
> jim beam wrote:

>>> I'm one of those guys who believes in 3000 mile intervals because it
>>> has always worked for me.

>> i keep garlic in my refrigerator because it stops elephants from
>> standing in the butter. because it has always worked for me.
>>

>>> Do I care if no one agrees with me, NO. Do
>>> I care if I can extend it to 5000 or more miles, NO. Do I claim my
>>> way is the only correct way, NO. In other words, you do what works
>>> for you and I'll do the same.

>> superstitious nonsense - you have absolutely zero basis in fact.
>>

> I hate finding the butter with elephant tracks. Any special kind of garlic.

Elephant garlic?
Old April 3rd 10, 12:11 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.honda,alt.autos.toyota
Grumpy AuContraire[_4_]

Elle wrote:
> On Apr 1, 5:51 pm, "Bob Jones" > wrote:
>> "Elle" > wrote in message

snip

>>> From my
>>> 2003 Civic's manual:
>>> The "normal" schedule is fine for most drivers, even if they
>>> occasionally drive in severe conditions.

>> That's a big difference from just saying "is fine for most drivers."

> Pardon? The manual is pointing out that one must drive "most of the
> time" in the severe conditions listed to warrant following the severe
> schedule. Only occasionally driving in severe conditions warrants the
> normal schedule.

Heh... Probably a product of the public school system!

JT
Old April 3rd 10, 12:14 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.honda,alt.autos.toyota
dr_jeff

Grumpy AuContraire wrote:
> Elle wrote:
>> On Apr 1, 5:51 pm, "Bob Jones" > wrote:
>>> "Elle" > wrote in message
>>>

> snip

>>> That's a big difference from just saying "is fine for most drivers."

>> Pardon? The manual is pointing out that one must drive "most of the
>> time" in the severe conditions listed to warrant following the severe
>> schedule. Only occasionally driving in severe conditions warrants the
>> normal schedule.
>>

> Heh... Probably a product of the public school system!
>
> JT

I am a product of the public school system, and quite proud of it. So
are my students.

Jeff
Old April 3rd 10, 12:16 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.honda,alt.autos.toyota
Bob Jones

http://www.moneybluebook.com/article....oilchange.php .

> Here in Texas, the temp goes above 90 sometime in May and stays there
> until
> October. That pretty much kills normal schedule here, at least in the
> summer.
>
> I think its interesting that Honda puts in the 90 degree clause, where
> Nissan focuses on dust and freezing temps, and only talks about hot in
> terms
> of stop-and-go driving in hot weather.

How about stop-and-go traffic in freezing temperatures on de-iced roads? I
had many days like that just this past winter.

Old April 3rd 10, 04:02 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.honda,alt.autos.toyota
Grumpy AuContraire[_4_]

dr_jeff wrote:
> Grumpy AuContraire wrote:
>>>>

>> snip

>>> Pardon? The manual is pointing out that one must drive "most of the
>>> time" in the severe conditions listed to warrant following the severe
>>> schedule. Only occasionally driving in severe conditions warrants the
>>> normal schedule.
>>>

>> Heh... Probably a product of the public school system!
>>
>> JT

> I am a product of the public school system, and quite proud of it. So
> are my students.
>
> Jeff

Keepin' the chain going, eh?

JT

Old April 3rd 10, 04:10 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.honda,alt.autos.toyota
Dave Kelsen

On 4/2/2010 12:31 PM jim spake these words of knowledge:

> Dave Kelsen wrote:
>

>> > You can't seriously believe I'm going to read this and not think "You
>> > are taking the comments as a personal attack on your belief system."

>> I don't have a belief system with respect to my cars. I use the actual
>> knowledge of the people who build and understand them, and the people
>> who have bothered to examine their oil to obtain real-world information
>> on how often they should change it.

> You state you have zero personal first hand knowledge and no belief
> system. So what's left? you are omniscient?
>

>> You should try it. That said, I
>> don't particularly care what you do. Further, if you look back up the
>> chain of posts, you will notice that I did not participate. "Vic" was
>> not responded to, nor addressing, me.

> yeah but if you're omniscient you already knew he was attacking you -
> even before he wrote it.
>

>> I can seriously believe that it doesn't matter what anyone says to you;
>> your opinion is apparently based on some sort of religion or, as you put
>> it, 'belief system'. Facts apparently don't enter into the matter. Enjoy!

> And pray tell what facts have you presented?

Lady, I can't really imagine how much fun it must be to live in your
world. It's a shame there's no one there with you
.. Back in the 70's, when I smoked a lot of herb, I never hallucinated -
so I surmise that either pot has changed a lot, or you're doing
something considerably more serious.

Either way, you should probably get some help, but I don't suppose
you'll understand that any better than anything else you've had read to you.

Be careful, man; have a safe journey, and try not to hurt anyone else!

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
Too bad stupidity isn't painful.
Old April 3rd 10, 06:31 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.honda,alt.autos.toyota
Dave Wilson

Dave Kelsen > wrote in
g.com:

>>> I don't have a belief system with respect to my cars. I use the
>>> actual knowledge of the people who build and understand them, and
>>> the people who have bothered to examine their oil to obtain
>>> real-world information on how often they should change it.

>> You state you have zero personal first hand knowledge and no belief
>> system. So what's left? you are omniscient?
>>

>>> You should try it. That said, I
>>> don't particularly care what you do. Further, if you look back up
>>> the chain of posts, you will notice that I did not participate.
>>> "Vic" was not responded to, nor addressing, me.

>> yeah but if you're omniscient you already knew he was attacking you -
>> even before he wrote it.
>>

>>> I can seriously believe that it doesn't matter what anyone says to
>>> you; your opinion is apparently based on some sort of religion or,
>>> as you put it, 'belief system'. Facts apparently don't enter into
>>> the matter. Enjoy!

>> And pray tell what facts have you presented?

> Lady, I can't really imagine how much fun it must be to live in your
> world. It's a shame there's no one there with you
> . Back in the 70's, when I smoked a lot of herb, I never hallucinated
> - so I surmise that either pot has changed a lot, or you're doing
> something considerably more serious.
>
> Either way, you should probably get some help, but I don't suppose
> you'll understand that any better than anything else you've had read
> to you.
>
> Be careful, man; have a safe journey, and try not to hurt anyone else!
>

> RFT!!!
> Dave Kelsen

About this washing and "sealing" your cars every few weeks and the
headlight lens rubbing you mentioned.
Did this all start when you were a hophead all doped up on grass?
Did you also drop acid? Never mind, doesn't matter here.
You said you are "down to" washing and "sealing" your cars every few
weeks now. I believe you said you did this with "3 Hondas."
Was that ever a weekly or daily occurrence with one or more cars?
Do you have a "secret" recipe for the "sealer" that requires a specific
ritual to get the "sealer" mix just right, only known to you?
Do you often feel that other people "just don't understand me?"
Do people like this - people who just don't understand you - seem to be
coming at you, one after another?
Do you feel that Honda owners are not "given the respect they deserve?"
Do you feel this very strongly when you are washing and "sealing" the
Hondas?
The reason I ask these questions is because I am a drug addiction
counselor and I recognize some common symptoms of drug addiction
aftermath in your posts. I'm assuming you are clean now,
I'm sorry I can't help you here, but I suggest you get down to a local
health center and discuss this with them. They are there to help.
Don't think there is a stigma attached to that, and you can be sure
that any information revealed in counseling will be kept private.
What happens with a counselor stays with the counselor.
That's what we counselors say. And we mean it.
Started saying that after the Vegas commercials began, and it fits.
If you are using your real name, please stop posting to the internet and
usenet for now with that name.
There are bad people who will use your own words against you, without
giving any thought that you may not be of sound mind.

Regards, David

Old April 3rd 10, 01:14 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.honda,alt.autos.toyota
pws[_1_]

Dave Wilson wrote:

>> RFT!!!
>> Dave Kelsen

> About this washing and "sealing" your cars every few weeks and the
> headlight lens rubbing you mentioned.
> Did this all start when you were a hophead all doped up on grass?
> Did you also drop acid? Never mind, doesn't matter here.
> You said you are "down to" washing and "sealing" your cars every few
> weeks now. I believe you said you did this with "3 Hondas."
> Was that ever a weekly or daily occurrence with one or more cars?
> Do you have a "secret" recipe for the "sealer" that requires a specific
> ritual to get the "sealer" mix just right, only known to you?
> Do you often feel that other people "just don't understand me?"
> Do people like this - people who just don't understand you - seem to be
> coming at you, one after another?
> Do you feel that Honda owners are not "given the respect they deserve?"
> Do you feel this very strongly when you are washing and "sealing" the
> Hondas?
> The reason I ask these questions is because I am a drug addiction
> counselor and I recognize some common symptoms of drug addiction
> aftermath in your posts. I'm assuming you are clean now,
> I'm sorry I can't help you here, but I suggest you get down to a local
> health center and discuss this with them. They are there to help.
> Don't think there is a stigma attached to that, and you can be sure
> that any information revealed in counseling will be kept private.
> What happens with a counselor stays with the counselor.
> That's what we counselors say. And we mean it.
> Started saying that after the Vegas commercials began, and it fits.
> If you are using your real name, please stop posting to the internet and
> usenet for now with that name.
> There are bad people who will use your own words against you, without
> giving any thought that you may not be of sound mind.
>
> Regards, David

This is one of the more amusing posts that I have read in some time.