Headlight adjustment

Old February 9th 10, 11:05 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
GT[_11_]

Default Headlight adjustment

"Catman" > wrote in message
> GT wrote:
>> "GT" > wrote in message
>>> OK, I give in - where is it? Need to adjust vertical beam - higher
>>> please!
>>>
>>> I've tried the black plastic hexagonal adjustor thingy above the wiring
>>> on the central bulb connection and I've tried the white hexagonal
>>> plastic adjuster thingy behind and below the central bulb wiring
>>> connection, but nothing moves!
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> GT

>> SUCCESS!
>>
>> Thanks to David's reassurance that I was turning the right screw, I went
>> at it with vigor!

> Did you tootle it as well?

All I can say is that I dazzled the young lady who walked past while I was
twisting my knob!

Old February 9th 10, 11:12 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

GT wrote:
> "Catman" > wrote in message
>> GT wrote:

>>> SUCCESS!
>>>
>>> Thanks to David's reassurance that I was turning the right screw, I went
>>> at it with vigor!

>> Did you tootle it as well?

> All I can say is that I dazzled the young lady who walked past while I was
> twisting my knob!

heh!

For your amusement:

Car rental brochure, Tokyo: WHEN PASSENGER OF FOOT HEAVE IN SIGHT,
TOOTLE THE HORN. TRUMPET HIM MELODIOUSLY AT FIRST, BUT IF HE STILL
OBSTACLES YOUR PASSAGE THEN TOOTLE HIM WITH VIGOUR.

and many more....

http://www.alphadictionary.com/fun/mistranslation.html

116 Giulietta 3.0l Sprint 1.7 GTV TS GT 3.2 V6
Triumph Sprint ST 1050: It's blue, see.
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old February 12th 10, 12:11 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
GT[_11_]

"GT" > wrote in message
> OK, I give in - where is it? Need to adjust vertical beam - higher please!
>
> I've tried the black plastic hexagonal adjustor thingy above the wiring on
> the central bulb connection and I've tried the white hexagonal plastic
> adjuster thingy behind and below the central bulb wiring connection, but
> nothing moves!
>
> Thanks,
> GT

Heyelp...

Just fitting new HIDs (visa card!!). Which is positive and which is
negative - brown or yellow??? I'm used to black and red!!

(156, 2002, H7r dipped lights)

Old February 12th 10, 04:59 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
GT[_11_]

"GT" > wrote in message
> "GT" > wrote in message
>> OK, I give in - where is it? Need to adjust vertical beam - higher
>> please!
>>
>> I've tried the black plastic hexagonal adjustor thingy above the wiring
>> on the central bulb connection and I've tried the white hexagonal plastic
>> adjuster thingy behind and below the central bulb wiring connection, but
>> nothing moves!
>>
>> Thanks,
>> GT

> Heyelp...
>
> Just fitting new HIDs (visa card!!). Which is positive and which is
> negative - brown or yellow??? I'm used to black and red!!

Phoned the HID people and they said that if you connect it the wrong way,
the light just wont come on.

YELLOW is +ve so connects to RED.
BROWN is -ve so connects to BLACK.

50w HIDs fitted and working! Will adjust beam when it gets dark. Took me
bloody ages to get the passenger side one fitted - my hand simply doesn't
fit in the gap and attaching the little metal clip to hold the bulb in was a
nightmare!

Old February 12th 10, 06:43 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

GT wrote:
> "GT" > wrote in message
>> "GT" > wrote in message
>>> OK, I give in - where is it? Need to adjust vertical beam - higher
>>> please!
>>>
>>> I've tried the black plastic hexagonal adjustor thingy above the wiring
>>> on the central bulb connection and I've tried the white hexagonal plastic
>>> adjuster thingy behind and below the central bulb wiring connection, but
>>> nothing moves!
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> GT

>> Heyelp...
>>
>> Just fitting new HIDs (visa card!!). Which is positive and which is
>> negative - brown or yellow??? I'm used to black and red!!

> Phoned the HID people and they said that if you connect it the wrong way,
> the light just wont come on.

Sorry, I've been without news access, or I could have told you this

> YELLOW is +ve so connects to RED.
> BROWN is -ve so connects to BLACK.
>
> 50w HIDs fitted and working! Will adjust beam when it gets dark. Took me
> bloody ages to get the passenger side one fitted - my hand simply doesn't
> fit in the gap and attaching the little metal clip to hold the bulb in was a
> nightmare!

Mine weren't that bad. Hope you like them.

Old February 13th 10, 11:30 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
GT[_11_]

"Catman" > wrote in message
> GT wrote:

>>> Heyelp...
>>>
>>> Just fitting new HIDs (visa card!!). Which is positive and which is
>>> negative - brown or yellow??? I'm used to black and red!!

>> Phoned the HID people and they said that if you connect it the wrong way,
>> the light just wont come on.

> Sorry, I've been without news access, or I could have told you this

no probs.

>> YELLOW is +ve so connects to RED.
>> BROWN is -ve so connects to BLACK.
>>
>> 50w HIDs fitted and working! Will adjust beam when it gets dark. Took me
>> bloody ages to get the passenger side one fitted - my hand simply doesn't
>> fit in the gap and attaching the little metal clip to hold the bulb in
>> was a nightmare!

> Mine weren't that bad. Hope you like them.

I'm not as immediately impressed as I expected to be - they certainly dont
seem 3x brighter than normal bulbs, as they were advertised, but the light
colour is just like daylight! (I went for 5k colour).

I'll find out how good they are for driving next week on my way home from
Glasgow - country roads and no street lights. Only been round the block so
far.

Cheers,
GT

Old February 17th 10, 12:11 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
GT[_11_]

"GT" > wrote in message
> "Catman" > wrote in message
>> GT wrote:

[snip]

>>> 50w HIDs fitted and working! Will adjust beam when it gets dark. Took me
>>> bloody ages to get the passenger side one fitted - my hand simply
>>> doesn't fit in the gap and attaching the little metal clip to hold the
>>> bulb in was a nightmare!

>> Mine weren't that bad. Hope you like them.

> I'm not as immediately impressed as I expected to be - they certainly dont
> seem 3x brighter than normal bulbs, as they were advertised, but the light
> colour is just like daylight! (I went for 5k colour).
>
> I'll find out how good they are for driving next week on my way home from
> Glasgow - country roads and no street lights. Only been round the block so
> far.

Brilliant. Likey muchy. Was worth all the swearing, tantrums and 3-way
finger bending to fit the bloody things (passenger side). Driving home last
night... Country road, dark, bit foggy = looked like daylight! Glad I went
for the 50w ones over the 35w. Recommend. Now, whats next... turbo chargers,
upgraded brakes, maybe a big beer shelf on the back - no that would be just
silly - I don't want my aerodynamics to be slowing me down!!

Actually, a serious point - after 7 years of 'gritty' driving, I have lots
of very fine scratches on the windscreen where the wipers have wiped away
dirt and grime? Not a problem during the day, but oncoming lights really
difract (?) all over the windscreen and dazzle when they shouldn't. Has
anyone else experienced this in an older car and is there a solution?
Obviously a new windscreen would sort out the problem and I'm sure I could
arrange for a large stone to fly through it on my way home one day and ask
the insurance people to fit me a new one, but I've read that a replacement
windscreen never quite seals as well as the factory original. I would only
follow this route if I knew the result would be good!

Can a windscreen be polished / buffed to remove fine scratches? Machine or
manual process?

GT

Old February 17th 10, 04:28 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

GT wrote:
> "GT" > wrote in message

> [snip]

>>> Mine weren't that bad. Hope you like them.

>> I'm not as immediately impressed as I expected to be - they certainly dont
>> seem 3x brighter than normal bulbs, as they were advertised, but the light
>> colour is just like daylight! (I went for 5k colour).
>>
>> I'll find out how good they are for driving next week on my way home from
>> Glasgow - country roads and no street lights. Only been round the block so
>> far.

> Brilliant. Likey muchy.

Told ya.

> Was worth all the swearing, tantrums and 3-way
> finger bending to fit the bloody things (passenger side). Driving home last
> night... Country road, dark, bit foggy = looked like daylight! Glad I went
> for the 50w ones over the 35w. Recommend. Now, whats next... turbo chargers,
> upgraded brakes, maybe a big beer shelf on the back - no that would be just
> silly - I don't want my aerodynamics to be slowing me down!!
>
> Actually, a serious point - after 7 years of 'gritty' driving, I have lots
> of very fine scratches on the windscreen where the wipers have wiped away
> dirt and grime? Not a problem during the day, but oncoming lights really
> difract (?) all over the windscreen and dazzle when they shouldn't. Has
> anyone else experienced this in an older car and is there a solution?

I had considered polishing it, but I suspect you'd end up with really
screwed optics.

> Obviously a new windscreen would sort out the problem and I'm sure I could
> arrange for a large stone to fly through it on my way home one day and ask
> the insurance people to fit me a new one, but I've read that a replacement
> windscreen never quite seals as well as the factory original. I would only
> follow this route if I knew the result would be good!

How do you know it's not an original? At least one of my 156s didn't
seem to be the real deal IYSWIM. No leaks though. I'd go this route if
it's really bugging you.

Old February 17th 10, 08:35 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
David A Stocks[_3_]

"Catman" > wrote in message
> GT wrote:
>
>> Obviously a new windscreen would sort out the problem and I'm sure I
>> could arrange for a large stone to fly through it on my way home one day
>> and ask the insurance people to fit me a new one, but I've read that a
>> replacement windscreen never quite seals as well as the factory original.
>> I would only follow this route if I knew the result would be good!

That may have been true in the days when they were held in by a rubber
gasket, but these days the glass is bonded to the bodywork so there isn't
too much that can go wrong if it's done properly.

My 156 went through two windscreens in a year. They were both replaced under
insurance by the local Autoglass. It's possible that taking the car to a
workshop is better than having it replaced by a mobile unit because you have
to wait an hour or two for the bonding goo to cure, during which the car
can't be moved.

The first replacement was done in a hurry for an MOT re-test - the screen
had cracked the day before the booked service/test - and Autoglass were
worried that the car would be put onto a ramp for the re-test before the goo
had fully cured; it takes a couple of days, apparently. Their concerns were
unfounded because the tester just looked at the new screen and then wrote
the certificate, and there certainly weren't any problems with either of the
installations.

> How do you know it's not an original? At least one of my 156s didn't seem
> to be the real deal IYSWIM. No leaks though. I'd go this route if it's
> really bugging you.

A sure sign that it's been replaced will be if it's a different make from
the rest of the glass. The original glass on my car was all Pilkington, but
both replacement windscreens were/are Splintex.

BTW this car is being P/Ex'd for a Brera very soon. If anyone wants to make
me a better offer they're welcome. Details a

156 2.4 JTD reg. April 2000, 91,500 miles, Silver.
Sports Pack 3, which means dark blue leather interior, sports suspension,
side skirts and 16" telephone dial alloy wheels.

David Stocks

99 Minivan headlight adjustment Satan Himself Chrysler 0 November 17th 07 04:56 PM
Headlight Adjustment 99 Caravan honk_on_bobo Dodge 0 August 4th 07 07:07 PM
headlight adjustment giveitup Dodge 2 August 10th 05 08:36 PM
headlight adjustment on 98 v6 Pirho Ford Mustang 1 February 6th 05 05:20 AM
Headlight adjustment Toby Groves Audi 3 June 8th 04 08:50 PM