S10 2.2 lifter noise?

Old January 7th 06, 09:05 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.tech

Default S10 2.2 lifter noise?

I had previously posted last year on the problems i had with my
96 2.2 Chevy S10. To recap, the tensioner on the cam chain broke
and allowed the chain to jump time. I took the head off and found
8 bent valves. I had the head into a machine shop, had it cleaned,
decked, and 8 new valves and seals put in it. I had someone else
put the head back on at the time. The truck started and ran OK
after all this.

Now, here's my issue. At About 3000 RPM+ or so i hear what appears to be
lifter noise from the engine. I cannot really detect
it at lower RPM's. And i can raise the throttle in park to this point
and hear the noise also.

So, my question now is what this noise could be? I did not remember
hearing it before all this happened. My thoughts are maybe:
A lifter mount not properly screwed down? Bent push rods maybe?
I know this engine had piston slap issues and i heard them before
this happened. But it really does not seem to be the same noise.
Any thoughts? What would be the result of a bent push rod?

Bob

Old January 8th 06, 08:28 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.tech

"BOB URZ" > wrote in message
> I had previously posted last year on the problems i had with my
> 96 2.2 Chevy S10. To recap, the tensioner on the cam chain broke
> and allowed the chain to jump time. I took the head off and found
> 8 bent valves. I had the head into a machine shop, had it cleaned,
> decked, and 8 new valves and seals put in it. I had someone else
> put the head back on at the time. The truck started and ran OK
> after all this.
>
> Now, here's my issue. At About 3000 RPM+ or so i hear what appears to be
> lifter noise from the engine. I cannot really detect
> it at lower RPM's. And i can raise the throttle in park to this point
> and hear the noise also.
>
> So, my question now is what this noise could be? I did not remember
> hearing it before all this happened. My thoughts are maybe:
> A lifter mount not properly screwed down? Bent push rods maybe?
> I know this engine had piston slap issues and i heard them before
> this happened. But it really does not seem to be the same noise.
> Any thoughts? What would be the result of a bent push rod?
>

> Bob

Next time the tank is low, fill it with premium. It might be spark knock.

Al

Old January 8th 06, 10:33 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.tech

"BOB URZ" > wrote in message
>I had previously posted last year on the problems i had with my
> 96 2.2 Chevy S10. To recap, the tensioner on the cam chain broke
> and allowed the chain to jump time. I took the head off and found
> 8 bent valves. I had the head into a machine shop, had it cleaned,
> decked, and 8 new valves and seals put in it. I had someone else
> put the head back on at the time. The truck started and ran OK
> after all this.
>
> Now, here's my issue. At About 3000 RPM+ or so i hear what appears to be
> lifter noise from the engine. I cannot really detect
> it at lower RPM's. And i can raise the throttle in park to this point
> and hear the noise also.
>
> So, my question now is what this noise could be? I did not remember
> hearing it before all this happened. My thoughts are maybe:
> A lifter mount not properly screwed down? Bent push rods maybe?
> I know this engine had piston slap issues and i heard them before
> this happened. But it really does not seem to be the same noise.
> Any thoughts? What would be the result of a bent push rod?
>

> Bob

> News==----
> Newsgroups
> =----

Get a mech to listen & check for rod-bearing noise. s

Old January 8th 06, 11:15 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.tech

sdlomi2 wrote:

> "BOB URZ" > wrote in message
>
>>I had previously posted last year on the problems i had with my
>>96 2.2 Chevy S10. To recap, the tensioner on the cam chain broke
>>and allowed the chain to jump time. I took the head off and found
>>8 bent valves. I had the head into a machine shop, had it cleaned,
>>decked, and 8 new valves and seals put in it. I had someone else
>>put the head back on at the time. The truck started and ran OK
>>after all this.
>>
>>Now, here's my issue. At About 3000 RPM+ or so i hear what appears to be
>>lifter noise from the engine. I cannot really detect
>>it at lower RPM's. And i can raise the throttle in park to this point
>>and hear the noise also.
>>
>>So, my question now is what this noise could be? I did not remember
>>hearing it before all this happened. My thoughts are maybe:
>>A lifter mount not properly screwed down? Bent push rods maybe?
>>I know this engine had piston slap issues and i heard them before
>>this happened. But it really does not seem to be the same noise.
>>Any thoughts? What would be the result of a bent push rod?
>>

>>Bob

> Get a mech to listen & check for rod-bearing noise. s

Its coming from the top end. I know what pre detonation noise is
and its not that. And its peaky like a resonance only above a certain
RPM. It almost sounds like something loose sympathetically vibrating,
but i a fairly sure its somehow valve train related. Ir does not have
that lower sound of lower end rod/bearing noise.

Back to the original questions:
If the push rods were slightly bent, what kinds of symptoms or noise
If the rocker arm nuts were slightly loose?

Bob

Old January 9th 06, 03:46 AM posted to alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.tech

"Bob Urz" > wrote in message

> sdlomi2 wrote:
>
>> "BOB URZ" > wrote in message
>>
>>>I had previously posted last year on the problems i had with my
>>>96 2.2 Chevy S10. To recap, the tensioner on the cam chain broke
>>>and allowed the chain to jump time. I took the head off and found
>>>8 bent valves. I had the head into a machine shop, had it cleaned,
>>>decked, and 8 new valves and seals put in it. I had someone else
>>>put the head back on at the time. The truck started and ran OK
>>>after all this.
>>>
>>>Now, here's my issue. At About 3000 RPM+ or so i hear what appears to be
>>>lifter noise from the engine. I cannot really detect
>>>it at lower RPM's. And i can raise the throttle in park to this point
>>>and hear the noise also.
>>>
>>>So, my question now is what this noise could be? I did not remember
>>>hearing it before all this happened. My thoughts are maybe:
>>>A lifter mount not properly screwed down? Bent push rods maybe?
>>>I know this engine had piston slap issues and i heard them before
>>>this happened. But it really does not seem to be the same noise.
>>>Any thoughts? What would be the result of a bent push rod?
>>>

>>>Bob

>> Get a mech to listen & check for rod-bearing noise. s

> Its coming from the top end. I know what pre detonation noise is
> and its not that. And its peaky like a resonance only above a certain
> RPM. It almost sounds like something loose sympathetically vibrating,
> but i a fairly sure its somehow valve train related. Ir does not have
> that lower sound of lower end rod/bearing noise.
>
> Back to the original questions:
> If the push rods were slightly bent, what kinds of symptoms or noise
> If the rocker arm nuts were slightly loose?

I think if any of these conditions exist, there would be valve lifter
noise, and it seems as if it would be loudest when oil pressure was
lowest--at idle? Don't believe it'd be loudest at 3k rpm, as oil pressure
should be relatively high there. s

Old May 2nd 18, 01:18 PM posted to alt.autos.gm,rec.autos.tech
tonysimpkins1

replying to BOB URZ, tonysimpkins1 wrote:
Got a pecking noise on my 1999 2.2 s10. I took each plug wire off 1at atone on
the four plug off the noise stops what could it be

--
for full context, visit https://www.motorsforum.com/gm/ecm-t...rix-78057-.htm