Will iRacing ever produce a PC sim ?

Old September 11th 05, 05:42 AM
Byron Forbes

"jason moyer" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Sidney H Bridge wrote:
>
>> No way was GP2 a milestone. A millstone more like!!

> When GP2 came out, what was better?

ICR2 - as you must surely know! I'm sure I saw you all about the ICR2 seen
back then didn't I?

GP2 - great for test sessions and a glimpse of the future. Slow mo cheating.
ICR2 - great fully usable product and an excellent offline league platform.
Along with Nascar (Hawaii), ICR2 marks the beginning of sim racing as a
sport - thanks to Papyrus (Kaemer).

Old September 11th 05, 05:52 AM
Byron Forbes

"Mitch_A" > wrote in message
m...
> As we get closer to reality the margin between groundbreaking and just
> another racing sim has blurred to the point of invisibility. This is one
> reason why there can never be another GPL no matter how great the current
> sim is.

Yes, there are a lot of good, new things in rfactor though.

3 types of starts - rolling, standing and standing with warmup lap.
We finally have a dedicted road racer (not Nascar ovals) with proper,
excellent multi - hip, hip hoo ****ing ray! (only took 7 years since GPL
ffs)
Excellent graphics, changing light conditions that function properly,
smoothly and look fantastic.
In 6-12 months we will probably have every track and series you can
imagine!

For my money, if they get the results working properly and we get
comprehensive stats then this is the best thing since................sliced
bread........................and.................. .............GPL. Taking
exponentiallity into account, it's probably as revolutionary as GPL was.

Old September 11th 05, 06:10 AM
ymenard

>"Sidney H Bridge" > wrote
> No way was GP2 a milestone. A millstone more like!!

What drug are you on? GP2 at its release was at the top. Cmon it was
released in _1995_ That's a year after Nascar Racing 1, a year before
IndyCar Racing 2. It was the top simulator available, heck it was the
_only_ simulator with Nascar1. So it had major flaws, well all the sims
back then had them.

You need a lesson in sim history <g>

--
-- François Ménard <ymenard>
-- This announcement is brought to you by the Shimago-Dominguez

Old September 11th 05, 06:13 AM
ymenard

>"Byron Forbes" > wrote
> ICR2 - as you must surely know! I'm sure I saw you all about the ICR2 seen
> back then didn't I?

Icr2 was released half a year after GP2. While beloved, Icr2 had major
flaws itself, no wheel-spin (!!!), laughable physics on ovals, AI that was
below the one found in Gp2 (which was acceptable at its best).

I'm not putting Gp2 on a pedestral, but to say that Gp2 was bad, well people
just have short memories.

Old September 11th 05, 11:06 AM
Tony Rickard

ymenard wrote:

> What drug are you on? GP2 at its release was at the top. Cmon it was
> released in _1995_ That's a year after Nascar Racing 1, a year before
> IndyCar Racing 2. It was the top simulator available, heck it was the
> _only_ simulator with Nascar1. So it had major flaws, well all the sims
> back then had them.
>
> You need a lesson in sim history <g>

In the UK GP2 was released July/August '96. I remember cos I diverted
the family to the PC store on the way back from the airport from our hols!

ICR2 was released December '95 as I recall.

For me ICR2 updated ICR1 with the Nascar1 graphics engine and wasan
evolution, hence not making it in my milestone list.

Cheers
Tony
Old September 11th 05, 01:48 PM
Sidney H Bridge

Praxiteles Democritus wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 21:05:40 GMT, Sidney H Bridge
> > wrote:
>

>>No way was GP2 a milestone. A millstone more like!!

> Bet you never even played it. GP2 was very popular around here. For
> it's day it was very good.

Then you'd lose your bet, sonny.
Old September 11th 05, 01:49 PM
Sidney H Bridge

Old September 11th 05, 02:01 PM
Sidney H Bridge

ymenard wrote:
>>"Sidney H Bridge" > wrote
>>No way was GP2 a milestone. A millstone more like!!

> What drug are you on? GP2 at its release was at the top. Cmon it was
> released in _1995_ That's a year after Nascar Racing 1, a year before
> IndyCar Racing 2. It was the top simulator available, heck it was the
> _only_ simulator with Nascar1. So it had major flaws, well all the sims
> back then had them.
>

> You need a lesson in sim history <g>

You're the one in need of a history lesso - as you must have worked out
by now.

Let's not forget the ICR2 had a version that ran on Rendition cards. Oh,
yeah, it also had working multi-player.

As a sim, GP2 was a joke. The fact it was an F1 game made it a fun
hotlap toy and very popular with F1 fanboys.

A sim? Don't be silly!

--

SHB
Old September 11th 05, 02:03 PM
Sidney H Bridge

Byron Forbes wrote:
> "Mitch_A" > wrote in message
> m...
>
>>As we get closer to reality the margin between groundbreaking and just
>>another racing sim has blurred to the point of invisibility. This is one
>>reason why there can never be another GPL no matter how great the current
>>sim is.
>>

> Yes, there are a lot of good, new things in rfactor though.
>
> 3 types of starts - rolling, standing and standing with warmup lap.
> We finally have a dedicted road racer (not Nascar ovals) with proper,
> excellent multi - hip, hip hoo ****ing ray! (only took 7 years since GPL
> ffs)
> Excellent graphics, changing light conditions that function properly,
> smoothly and look fantastic.
> In 6-12 months we will probably have every track and series you can
> imagine!
>
> For my money, if they get the results working properly and we get
> comprehensive stats then this is the best thing since................sliced
> exponentiallity into account, it's probably as revolutionary as GPL was.

Agreed.
Old September 11th 05, 02:43 PM
jason moyer

Tony Rickard wrote:

> In the UK GP2 was released July/August '96. I remember cos I diverted
> the family to the PC store on the way back from the airport from our hols!
>
> ICR2 was released December '95 as I recall.

I thought everyone had their timelines wrong...