Will iRacing ever produce a PC sim ?

Old September 9th 05, 05:31 PM
Mitch_A

Ive seen all kinds in here over the last decade but comparing GP4 to rFactor
takes the grand prize.

Even ymenards self proclaimed presidency of ras looks sane by comparison,
hehe.

Mitch

Old September 9th 05, 06:22 PM
Jeff Reid

> I think the "feel" being conveyed by the cockpit is much
> better in rFactor than anything they've done previously,
> but the sound is totally useless.

For most games, I find the solution to the sound issue is
to turn up the tire related sound and to turn down the
engine and opponent sounds if needed. Listen to the videos
I've created and you can hear tire noises in all of them
(F1C99-02 you only hear them at slow speed though, I
didn't turn down the engine noise).

For GPL, I use an alternate, quieter sound for the engine
when hot lapping, but then switch to a louder one if I'm
going to convert a replay into a video.

Old September 9th 05, 06:28 PM
jason moyer

Mitch_A wrote:

> You sure make a lot of noise for being uninterested JM.

I make a lot of noise about GPL?

Old September 9th 05, 06:50 PM
Mitch_A

About your dislike of any ISI stuff. If ya dont like it fine but comparing
it to GP4??? To me thats just noise

Mitch

ups.com...

Old September 9th 05, 06:56 PM
Tony Rickard

jason moyer wrote:

> Actually, I drive without force feedback. Somehow Papy sims and even
> RBR with its incredibly basic cockpit view manage to convey the
> information I need to feel in control of the car without having some
> over-exaggerated motorized wheel in my hands. I've never felt truly in
> control of the car in ISI sims. *shrug* I think the "feel" being
> conveyed by the cockpit is much better in rFactor than anything they've
> done previously, but the sound is totally useless.

Interesting as I have only recently taken to FF (DFPro), so I consider
myself bought up on graphical and audible cues for "feel" rather than
anything through the steering wheel. Going way way back with my first
real racing sim (Indy 500) I didn't have a sound card so I just used
graphical cues. I think graphics is my primary input.

For me this is the first ISI sim to have that feel that matches or even
surpasses Papy sims. I don't have an issue with the sound as an input to
car behaviour. Maybe it is because I started this sim with FFB and the
FFB helps a lot such that I have retrained my old brain...

Cheers
Tony
Old September 9th 05, 07:15 PM
Sidney H Bridge

Tony Rickard wrote:

<SNIP>

> Going way way back with my first
> real racing sim (Indy 500) <SNIP>

Revs (Geoff Crammond) was the first real racing sim.
Old September 9th 05, 07:18 PM
Sidney H Bridge

jason moyer wrote:
> Byron Forbes wrote:
>

>> Well, to go one up on rFactor they'll need to have weather for starters.

> rFactor has weather?

Yes. Sunny or cloudy. No rain, though - yet!
Old September 9th 05, 07:19 PM
Tony Rickard

Mitch_A wrote:
> Ive seen all kinds in here over the last decade but comparing GP4 to rFactor
> takes the grand prize.
>
> Even ymenards self proclaimed presidency of ras looks sane by comparison,
> hehe.

Although I see Jason's point that GP4 was a complete F1 package. Fully
working AI, all the tracks, excellent weather and a degree of atmosphere.

rFactor is much more of a tool to build your own package, partly due to
the limited tracks for a championship but mostly due to the AI not being
consistently up to scratch. Initially this is a bit of a disappointment.
However, once online in the OW trainers the disappointment goes away and
the realisation that all that is needed is the tool for leagues and
modders to do their stuff to complete the package.

rFactor feels a bit lightweight compared to the milestone releases in
the past, yet I believe it will be a milestone in the history of OW sim
racing along with Indy 500, F1GP, ICR, GP2 and GPL on my list at least.

Cheers
Tony
Old September 9th 05, 07:30 PM
Tony Rickard

Sidney H Bridge wrote:
> Tony Rickard wrote:
>
> <SNIP>
>
>> Going way way back with my first
>> real racing sim (Indy 500) <SNIP>

> Revs (Geoff Crammond) was the first real racing sim.

Though not *my* first real racing sim...

Indy500 was my introduction to sim racing. I'm either not *that* old or
maybe just a late starter

Cheers
Tony
Old September 9th 05, 07:52 PM
jason moyer

Mitch_A wrote:
> About your dislike of any ISI stuff. If ya dont like it fine but comparing
> it to GP4??? To me thats just noise

I simply said GP4 had great AI and realistic tracks, whereas F1C
didn't. I certainly don't rate it higher.