rFactor controller setup....weak

Old September 2nd 05, 01:20 AM
ymenard

>"jason moyer" > wrote
> I'm mildly amused seeing some of the complaints on RAS and elsewhere
> about rFactor. Most of the **** people are complaining about has been
> in every previous ISI title but half the community had their heads too
> far up GPL's ass to notice.

Well... the development team *does* look like a group of people who want to
get rid of all the problems of the ISI engine, and not just embellish it
from the outside. I've already heard of skipping when somebody enters the
track in multi... ;-S embarrassing.

But you're right, we might be stuck with 50% of the simracing market being
developpers buying the ISI engine onto the next 5 years.

--
-- François Ménard <ymenard>
-- This announcement is brought to you by the Shimago-Dominguez

Old September 2nd 05, 01:59 AM
Alan Bernardo

"Remco Moedt" > wrote in message
> And with weak I'm putting it mildly...when your controller isn't
> mainstream you can forget it.

You've answered your own question. I own a MOMO and I don't think I had to
touch the thing to work with the game.

>This is a problem with all ISI based
> games BTW. A bit painfull when you realize that a certain 7 year old
> game doesn't have a single problem...

You've answered your own question again. Older game works with older,
non-standard, older wheel. Makes sense.

> I fear I've to ask my money back....

It's good that you have that option, as should be the case with all games or
any type of mechandise. If you don't like and things don't work with your
configuration, having the option to return is a good thing. You can't
really complain.

Alanb

Old September 2nd 05, 03:35 AM
Steve Simpson

>> And with weak I'm putting it mildly...when your controller isn't
>> mainstream you can forget it. This is a problem with all ISI based
>> games BTW. A bit painfull when you realize that a certain 7 year old
>> game doesn't have a single problem...
>>
>> I fear I've to ask my money back....

> I'm mildly amused seeing some of the complaints on RAS and elsewhere
> about rFactor. Most of the **** people are complaining about has been
> in every previous ISI title but half the community had their heads too
> far up GPL's ass to notice.

I haven't had an issue with an ISI title since the F12001 combined pedals
issue (which was fixed in a patch)

I guess I'm just lucky....
Old September 2nd 05, 04:07 AM
jason moyer

Steve Simpson wrote:

> I haven't had an issue with an ISI title since the F12001 combined pedals
> issue (which was fixed in a patch)
>
> I guess I'm just lucky....

I'm not a huge fan of their sims, but I can't say I've had any
technical problems with anything they've put out. I was just venting
frustration at how surprised so many people seem that certain things
either don't work or don't function like you'd expect when they're
exactly like previous ISI titles. rF may be a step up from F1C, but
F1C users should have had an idea of what they were getting.

Old September 2nd 05, 04:13 AM
Steve Simpson

> I'm not a huge fan of their sims, but I can't say I've had any
> technical problems with anything they've put out. I was just venting
> frustration at how surprised so many people seem that certain things
> either don't work or don't function like you'd expect when they're
> exactly like previous ISI titles. rF may be a step up from F1C, but
> F1C users should have had an idea of what they were getting.

Indeed. There's no shortage of ignorance around. I think a lot of
people(?) over at RSC were expecting a cross between Gran Turismo 5, GTR &
GPL...
Old September 2nd 05, 10:41 AM
Asgeir Nesoen

Since there is no calibration option in rFactor, you'll have to rely on
the windows calibration routine. This is a flaw in itself, since the
windows calibration routine is "less than perfect" when it comes to
non-standard configurations.

I have an old Logitech FF wheel with my own pedals with different
resistance than the original pedals, and I could not get the to work
properly in rFactor, since rFactor was expecting the resistance to be
standard Logitech.

Once I managed to calibrate my rig correctly in windows, everything was
oh-so-smooth in rFactor.

The old Logitech FF wheels are calibrated in the following way:
1) Power on, computer on -> disconnect FF wheel power for a few seconds
2) Reconnect power on FF unit
3) Calibration utility will pop up in windows
4) Calibrate things in windows
5) You should be ok

What is special about the Logi FF is that the calibration data resides
on the unit itself, not in the registry, and this is why a power off and
power on will trigger the windows calibration utility.

There is a utility that clears all calibration data for a given device,
and this ought to trigger the windows calibration routine.

And last, but not least, you can choose direction as well as axis in
rFactor one way or the other. I think it can be done in-game but I am
not sure about that. Can you choose axis directly in rFactor? I am at
work, unable to check it out. In your input config screen in rFactor,
you'll notice a '-' and a '+' behind the axis name, and this is where
you should focus.

2 cents.

---A---

Old September 2nd 05, 11:11 AM
Remco Moedt

On 1 Sep 2005 20:07:40 -0700, "jason moyer" > wrote:

>Steve Simpson wrote:
>
>> I haven't had an issue with an ISI title since the F12001 combined pedals
>> issue (which was fixed in a patch)
>>
>> I guess I'm just lucky....

>I'm not a huge fan of their sims, but I can't say I've had any
>technical problems with anything they've put out. I was just venting
>frustration at how surprised so many people seem that certain things
>either don't work or don't function like you'd expect when they're
>exactly like previous ISI titles. rF may be a step up from F1C, but
>F1C users should have had an idea of what they were getting.

I got that idea, and it's possible for me to solve it by reversing the
wires, but that's not the point. My controller (Hyperstim) does have a
directinput driver, and it works fine in the GameControls applet. The
thing is, controller code is, compared to other parts of the game,
very easy to write. So, if they didn't solve this problem, you can
expect they didn't change other flaws known from previous ISI titles
eighter.

Cheers!

Remco

Old September 2nd 05, 02:20 PM
Paulinho

"Alan Bernardo" > wrote in message

> "Remco Moedt" > wrote in message
>> And with weak I'm putting it mildly...when your controller isn't
>> mainstream you can forget it.

> You've answered your own question. I own a MOMO and I don't think I had
> to touch the thing to work with the game.
>
>>This is a problem with all ISI based
>> games BTW. A bit painfull when you realize that a certain 7 year old
>> game doesn't have a single problem...
>>

> You've answered your own question again. Older game works with older,
> non-standard, older wheel. Makes sense.
>
>> I fear I've to ask my money back....
>>

> It's good that you have that option, as should be the case with all games
> or any type of mechandise. If you don't like and things don't work with
> your configuration, having the option to return is a good thing. You
> can't really complain.
>
> Alanb

Odd as Ive a DFP and it seems to loose the F.F after about 10mins..??

Old September 2nd 05, 09:35 PM
PlowBoy

Asgeir Nesoen enlightened us with:
> And last, but not least, you can choose direction as well as axis in
> rFactor one way or the other. I think it can be done in-game but I am
> not sure about that.

You are rightt AN..

Old September 2nd 05, 10:44 PM
DJRJR

I noticed the same problem as with all isi sims and MSFF wheels, sometimes
it has a glitch where it pulls to the left if you hit something on occasion,
then you have to bang the wall or a car to get it to stop pulling to the
left. This has been an ongoing nagging problem for ever..