intake or head gasket bad...need opinion...

Old January 23rd 05, 02:36 AM
scale

Default intake or head gasket bad...need opinion...

picked up a 1993 with the 3.3 in it. It had antifreeze in the oil.

I pulled the intake today. I noticed that the valley was full of gray
oil...yuck. I also noticed that one of the intake ports was ragged
around the rubber. Im wondering if that was the source of my coolant
leaking into the engine. I dont really want to pull the heads out. THat
looks like a nightmare job from hell. I find it hard to believe that
the intake gasket shredded just from pulling the intake manifold off
the car. Thing is .....im not sure if that was a water jacket or just a
intake for the injectors into the chabmer. (thats almost what it looks
like)...how could coolant get in there?

I dont know....i find it hard to believe that i head gasket could cause
such a coolant problem in the engine.

I can post some pics of the valley and intake surfaces on both the
heads and on the intake itself if that would help?

Any thoughts?

Old January 23rd 05, 03:59 AM
« Paul »

scale wrote:

> picked up a 1993 with the 3.3 in it. It had antifreeze in the oil.
>
> I pulled the intake today. I noticed that the valley was full of gray
> oil...yuck. I also noticed that one of the intake ports was ragged
> around the rubber. Im wondering if that was the source of my coolant
> leaking into the engine. I dont really want to pull the heads out. THat
> looks like a nightmare job from hell. I find it hard to believe that
> the intake gasket shredded just from pulling the intake manifold off
> the car. Thing is .....im not sure if that was a water jacket or just a
> intake for the injectors into the chabmer. (thats almost what it looks
> like)...how could coolant get in there?
>
> I dont know....i find it hard to believe that i head gasket could cause
> such a coolant problem in the engine.
>
> I can post some pics of the valley and intake surfaces on both the
> heads and on the intake itself if that would help?
>
> Any thoughts?

That is most unusual. I've never heard of a 3.3 having that problem.
Both block and heads are cast iron - so no squirming to rip
up a head gasket. The engine is 90 degrees - so no weird intake angles.
The intake runs antifreeze through it - hence the upper rad hose connection.
I would run a compression test with the intake off.
Or a leak down test. Watch for bubbles.
Old January 23rd 05, 08:13 PM
scale

ya ill have to do something.That intake gasket does look bad but it
still could be a head i guess.

I dont know how im going to get teh compression tester down on the
backside of the eng. Seems almost impossible to even change plugs on
this thing.

Old January 23rd 05, 11:16 PM
« Paul »

scale wrote:

> ya ill have to do something.That intake gasket does look bad but it
> still could be a head i guess.
>
> I dont know how im going to get teh compression tester down on the
> backside of the eng. Seems almost impossible to even change plugs on
> this thing.

You'll do ok. There is plenty of room on the firewall side of a 3300.
You don't even need to rotate the engine like on a 60 degree.
(Different mount.)
Old February 20th 05, 11:02 PM
scale

you ever get a reading from your compression tester? I had the same
problem with my grand am and the 3.3l engine. I replaced my intake
gasket and all was good. I get a slight miss however from a stand still
or when the engine is under load (if i put my foot on the brake and
slowly push the gas). I have replaced the ICM, coilpacks, plugs and
wires and it still does it. I cant figure it out. I have a compression
tester ordered up and should be here soon. Just wondering how hard it
was for you to get your test results

Head Gasket Help Dave Skirrow Technology 17 January 17th 05 06:46 PM
4.0 Head Gasket Oil Leak DougW Jeep 8 December 23rd 04 02:42 AM
Civic Head Gasket Chopface Honda 3 December 17th 04 03:33 AM
Head Gasket Leak? maxpower Chrysler 4 October 11th 04 03:00 PM
Head Gasket Leak? Mandrake Chrysler 0 October 10th 04 10:16 PM