Where should worn tires go, fornt or back?

Old September 26th 07, 07:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
~Mike Hollywood

Default Where should worn tires go, fornt or back?

Hi,
Somewhere along the line somebody told me to always put the best tires on
the back because in case of a blow out, you have some control of the frount
through the steering, but on the back you have none. So that's what I
alwasy did. Today, at a tire store, in conversation, the salesman told me I
had it wrong, and that you should always do the opposite of what I was
doing, and put the best tires on the front.
Any 3rd opionions much appriciatee.
Mike

Old September 26th 07, 07:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
"~Mike Hollywood" > wrote:

> Somewhere along the line somebody told me to always put the best tires on
> the back because in case of a blow out, you have some control of the frount
> through the steering, but on the back you have none. So that's what I
> alwasy did. Today, at a tire store, in conversation, the salesman told me I
> had it wrong, and that you should always do the opposite of what I was
> doing, and put the best tires on the front.
> Any 3rd opionions much appriciatee.

On a Miata, I'd put the best tires in back, because they wear twice as
fast as the front ones.

Personally, I replace all four as a set, and rotate every 3k miles so
they all wear out together.
Old September 26th 07, 08:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
John McGaw

~Mike Hollywood wrote:
> Hi,
> Somewhere along the line somebody told me to always put the best tires on
> the back because in case of a blow out, you have some control of the frount
> through the steering, but on the back you have none. So that's what I
> alwasy did. Today, at a tire store, in conversation, the salesman told me I
> had it wrong, and that you should always do the opposite of what I was
> doing, and put the best tires on the front.
> Any 3rd opionions much appriciatee.
> Mike

I think the correct answer is that worn tires should on the truck that
is hauling them to the recycling facility. Does that count as being "on
the back"? If tires are so bad that you spend excessive time worrying
about which sort of catastrophic tire failure might be less lethal, do
yourself a favor and get new ones.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Old September 26th 07, 10:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Bruno

John McGaw wrote:

> I think the correct answer is that worn tires should on the truck that
> is hauling them to the recycling facility. Does that count as being "on
> the back"? If tires are so bad that you spend excessive time worrying
> about which sort of catastrophic tire failure might be less lethal, do
> yourself a favor and get new ones.

My thoughts also.

If I was living in like North Korea with no access to new tires, let
alone other basic human rights, my choice would be to put the bad tires
on the rear wheels with the thought of the result of an exploding front
tire. Also I'd rather have to use a soft right foot than battle
understeer but each to his own I guess.

Kind regards
Bruno
Old September 27th 07, 02:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
miker

> If I was living in like North Korea with no access to new tires, let
> alone other basic human rights, my choice would be to put the bad tires
> on the rear wheels with the thought of the result of an exploding front
> tire.

Plus, a mine would probably take out the tire regardless of wear. More
likely to hit mines with the front.

miker

Old September 27th 07, 08:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Christopher Muto

a new pair of tires should be placed on the rear axel.
this very clearly explains why...
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=52

Old September 28th 07, 03:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

Well, the tire rack article states it emphatically; new on the rear (for car
control reasons). I'd agree with Lanny that they should go on the back for
wear reasons but I'd have thought on the front for control reasons. I was
thinking that while the fronts have to clear allot of water as they go, they
also clear most of the water for the rears to follow thru. I guess this may
be somewhat true on the straight sections (where it's not as important) and
maybe not so true in the curves where the rears may take a somewhat
different track thru the corner and of course, traction is muck more
critical in those moments. I'll take their experience over my flawed logic,
I guess. Good to know.

Chris
99BBB

Old September 28th 07, 06:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
nosfatsug

What I had alway heard was to put the best tires on the rear with the logic
that spinning out of control was more dangerous than some understeer.

Gus 91 BRG

Old September 28th 07, 11:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

But Pat, it's the 'out of control' part of the spinning out that has the
lower fun quotient!

Personally, the oversteer problem would have to be pretty abrupt for me to
prefer to understeer. I just don't feel it's as benign as most people do.
But then, I'm an old 'yankee' who has never been convinced that fwd is an
advantage over rwd in the snow or especially in icy conditions. This tends
to generate what I'd have to call (coining a phrase) 'nosteer'.

Chris
99BBB

Old September 29th 07, 04:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
nosfatsug

"Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote

> But then, I'm an old 'yankee' who has never been convinced that fwd is an
> advantage over rwd in the snow or especially in icy conditions. This tends
> to generate what I'd have to call (coining a phrase) 'nosteer'.

Chris,

Same here. Although, 'nosteer' can be corrected with appropriate
application of the parking brake (or should I call if the 'attitude
correction handle'). Once you get the nose pointed in the right direction,
a little gas and off you go. This technique worked great on the
ice-covered roads in West Lafayette Indiana (the city kept the snowplow
blades 1" off the road since they couldn't afford to buy new blades each
year). The real fun was watching the garbage truck/snowplow drivers turn
the steering wheel full lock about 1/2 block before a turn, grit their teeth
until the extreme understeer turned into oversteer snapping the truck around
the corner.

Back to the original topic, I think the advice of best tires on the rear
truly does apply to the typical driver (e.g., picture the snowbird loosing
control of his motorhome as the backend slings around a corner in a winding
mountain highway), but maybe not so much to the typical Miata driver who is
very comfortable with their backend hanging out there.

Gus 91 BRG

OEM Tires, Optional OEM tires, and totally off-the-wall tires Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B Technology 68 September 12th 07 03:08 AM
Worn out A6 L. D. Mormino Audi 15 February 25th 07 01:46 AM
2 snow tires on FWD car go on front or back? peter Technology 22 February 14th 06 03:53 AM
Honda Accord 2004 Back Brakes Worn Already lucid1 Honda 5 November 10th 05 12:18 AM
Wider tires on back of 2001 Prelude? (215s) Bad??? Rob B Honda 6 April 18th 05 05:04 AM