Torque wrench - which one to buy?

Old February 19th 08, 11:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Bruno

Default Torque wrench - which one to buy?

I'm looking for a good 1/2" torque wrench and so far I have only some
really cheap rubbish ones and some really expensive ones (like a Bahco
costing like 300+ US!).

I wonder if it will even make sense for me to buy it on-line and have it
shipped to Denmark - being that good tool shops seem not really to have
gone on-line over here.

My first main use would simply to control the force when I check my
summer rims (the actual mounting is done with an air wrench and some
sort of torque limiter so it's not really for when I swap winter wheels
to the summer ones).

Any suggestions?

Kind regards
Bruno - The one with the most tools when he dies wins:-)
Old February 20th 08, 08:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Zog The Undeniable

Bruno wrote:
> I'm looking for a good 1/2" torque wrench and so far I have only some
> really cheap rubbish ones and some really expensive ones (like a Bahco
> costing like 300+ US!).
>
> I wonder if it will even make sense for me to buy it on-line and have it
> shipped to Denmark - being that good tool shops seem not really to have
> gone on-line over here.
>
> My first main use would simply to control the force when I check my
> summer rims (the actual mounting is done with an air wrench and some
> sort of torque limiter so it's not really for when I swap winter wheels
> to the summer ones).

For wheel nuts a fairly cheap one will do, as long as it's capable of
100Nm or more. I would never put an air wrench near wheel nuts though,
not unless you're careful to use a lower torque setting at first (say
50Nm) *then* step up to the recommended torque. Torquing them from
loose to 100Nm one by one is the way to warp brake discs. But you
probably know that ;-)

How does a torque wrench work? Tegger Honda 20 July 25th 07 06:29 AM
torque wrench bug '59 VW air cooled 4 November 10th 05 08:37 PM
torque wrench settings pad Technology 0 October 20th 05 11:28 PM
Torque Wrench Seraph Honda 12 February 6th 05 10:07 PM
torque wrench settings paddy wack BMW 1 January 28th 05 09:35 PM