A new way to spot Miata owners

Old December 18th 07, 06:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Bruno

Default A new way to spot Miata owners

It's amazing what you can do with Google Earth:

56°10'57.19"N, 10°11'48.55"E

Time to play "Spot the Miata"

Kind regards
Bruno

PS. To be fair - I only found one and it's not a confirmed. I shall post
it's coordinates later for everyone to check.
Old December 18th 07, 07:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
Bruno > wrote:

> It's amazing what you can do with Google Earth:
>
> 56°10'57.19"N, 10°11'48.55"E

Oops.

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO
Old December 18th 07, 08:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
BK

I'd be able to see mine in the drive...but it was in the garage with the
bird flew over.

Old December 19th 07, 07:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
jim

On Dec 18, 1:12 pm, Lanny Chambers > wrote:
> In article >,
>
> Bruno > wrote:
> > It's amazing what you can do with Google Earth:

> > 56°10'57.19"N, 10°11'48.55"E

> Oops.
>
> --
> Lanny Chambers
> St. Louis, MO
> '94C

I don't see a Miata in the Google Earth shot, I hope it is not under
the large truck that tipped over!
Old December 21st 07, 02:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Scott Streeter[_3_]

Didn't look like I was home at the time...

Old December 23rd 07, 12:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Bruno

jim wrote:

> I don't see a Miata in the Google Earth shot, I hope it is not under
> the large truck that tipped over!

No Miata under the truck (fortunately).

The truck was mostly meant as a funny starting point plus it illustrated
who the amount of details caught on Google Earth. My whole post is sort
of inspired by an article describing how the resolution in the pictures
covering Aarhus (the second largest city in Denmark) has been increased
to 10 cm (3.9") as opposed to the 40 cm (15.7") which is the normal
resolution for the rest of the country.

The higher resolution sort of makes it possible to spot a Miata even
without knowing it's location beforehand so I though it could be fun if
a few was located simply using Google Earth. I used a couple of minutes
my self and I do think I found one:

56° 9'41.98"N, 10°12'55.10"E

There are something like 500-600 Miata's on the roads in Denmark sure
povided they are distributed evenly some 40-50 should be home in the
Aarhus area.

Kind regards
Bruno
Old December 23rd 07, 01:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Dana Myers

pws wrote:

> Is this cheating? :-)
>
> 30°20'39.34"N 97°44'16.03"W
>
> Pat

Not anymore than this is:

38.13285 -122.256573

:-)

Dana
P.S. Mine used to be parked right about there.
Old December 23rd 07, 05:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chuck

The pictures for my area are so old that they show trees that were removed
years ago, and a race track that has not been a race track for twenty years.
Heck, you can hardly make out where my house is, let alone what might be in
the driveway. Just to add insult to injury, the postal address overlay is
also wrong, and shows a forty year old (incorrect) address assignment for
the houses on the entire street. The assignment may be the one before the
lots were sold and houses were built in the late 1960s and early 70s. This
error also exists in the data base sold by the post office to the map makers
and the GPS software developers (2005 version). Because of the presence of
a local AFB that many years ago, had B-52s on alert status, the east side of
town (vicinity of the base) had no detail on many maps for years. This
finally changed when satellite maps from commercial sources showed the
details. Another clue to the age of the data is that the road was moved
slightly between 1980 and 1985. The road change is shown, but the street
overlay still shows the old routing.
Oh, Well!

. ..

Old December 23rd 07, 05:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Ken Lyons

"Chuck" > wrote
> The pictures for my area are so old that they show trees that were removed
> years ago, and a race track that has not been a race track for twenty
> years.
> Heck, you can hardly make out where my house is, let alone what might be
> in
> the driveway.

Similar here. Google Earth has my house pinpointed a block down the street.
The resolution is so bad that the red blob in the drive *MAY* be my wife's
'90 Miata....or our long gone 1976 Datsun pickup truck. Our house has the
old roof from years ago, one neighbor's home addition is not there and our
huge oak tree doesn't show to be much more than a sapling. Perhaps being so
close to the Pentagon, the resolution and age of the satellite images are
restricted.
--
Ken - '97 Brilliant Black/'90 Classic Red
Inside the Beltway

Old December 23rd 07, 06:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
~AlicGinnis~

It's good to know the Chinese occupiers will be
able to track everybody down using google earth after the invasion. The
lucky people
will be the ones whoes houses are a block off target, thus giving them
a little time to escape. The real problems will start if a missle knocks
out our GPS, and staillite phone, systems. Google earth, and their ilk,
have pretty much removed anyone's right to privacy.