Where are you and your Miata?

Old November 16th 07, 09:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Richard Phillips

Default Where are you and your Miata?

Bruno wrote:
> Richard Phillips wrote:
>>
>> The way things are heading (sadly, IMO), it might be Wales, England,
>> Scotland and Ireland in a few years! Not sure if that will make
>> things any simpler for you though?!
>>

> Or it could go the other way and everything over here just becomes
> the EU!
> Kind regards
> Bruno

I think it might go both ways; Wales, England, Scotland, Ireland will all be
states of the EU, but the UK might cease to be!

Ah well...

R.

Old November 16th 07, 09:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Harry and MaXin5 (that's Maxine with a silent 5), Carlux, Dordogne,
France.

Old November 16th 07, 12:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Tommy[_18_]

wrote:
> Harry and MaXin5 (that's Maxine with a silent 5), Carlux, Dordogne,
> France.

1999 MX5 1.8s Roadster Brighton, UK

Old November 16th 07, 03:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
miker

> Thanks for single-handedly representing the entire southern hemisphere (so
> far ;-)

I've got an email buddy in Perth with one... he isn't on this group tho.

miker

Old November 16th 07, 08:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Gordon Bennett

Chris D'Agnolo wrote:

> Would everyone who see's this message, please reply with CITY, STATE (and COUNTRY
> / PROVINCE if outside the USofA)? I'd like to compile the info and post it
> here for everyone to see.
>
> I'll start it by throwing Sugar Land, TX (sw Houston) into the ring. Come
> on, let's see how far and wide our conversations go!
>
> Chris
> 99BBB

Well I guess I better get New Hampshire on the list.

Gordon Bennett - just been a lurker so far
Alton, NH USofA
2000 White 5 speed

Old November 17th 07, 12:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

Tell him what we're doing and maybe he'll jump in and even become a regular.
That would be cool.

Chris
99BBB

Old November 17th 07, 01:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

1st from France! Harry, which is the city / town? And is that a state /
Province?
Help!

Thanks for jumping in,
Chris
99BBB

Old November 17th 07, 01:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

You're no longer a lurker now Gordon. Your message here is traveling into
homes in (per the current tally) 22 states and 5 countries (incl'g ours). I
think that's pretty cool.

Thanks,
Chris
99BBB

Old November 17th 07, 02:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Bruno

Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
> Scary to think if the dollar still had any value, eh? Thanks for jumping in
> Bruno, I couldn't remember what country you were in. I will google your
> exact location! Bruno, it would literally make you sick to see how cheap 2nd
> hand miatas sell for here. Since they're bulletproof, wouldn't that be a
> great business venture to go thru and freshen old miata's for export to
> countries like yours? Maybe I'm missing the point, I guess your taxman would
> still be the big winner, eh?

Well like the saying goes there is no avoiding death or taxes :-)

The cheap dollar does make importing more interesting but it does not
change the overall picture much.

If you import a 2nd hand car to Denmark as rule of you will have to pay
65% of what the normal price a car like it would bring. So the math for
importing a US car looks something like this:

1999 Miata $9000 (seems to be the typical price)
Shipping $2000 (Maybe a little cheaper or little more expensive)
Car tax $21700 (A rough estimate)
-------------------------------------
Total $32700

It may be that it can be done a little cheaper but all in all the
difference is not big enough.

There may however be more than just saving some $ which makes importing
a US car to Europe interesting. There is the whole "No rust in
California cars" but that is not so much an argument with the Miata
since many people over here put the car in storage in the winter and
only really run the car when the sun is shining.

A more exciting argument and one that has me considering actually doing
it someday is that the Mazdaspeed version is not sold in Europe. I know
some guy in Norway has one but that's he only Mazdaspeed Miata I know of
over here so it could be fun to get one. However it may not be trivial
to get the car on the road since a EU approval is not likely to exist.
And what the car tax will be is a big guess but if I can find the money
I may try for it some day.

Kind regards
Bruno
Old November 17th 07, 02:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Bruno

Iva wrote:

> Pretty country! That's another one on my list to visit.

Thank you very much. I'm yet to meet anyone from the US not enjoying a
visit over here so I think I can promise you will like it also :-)

> My Miata can actually be seen (!) at 40 38'23.19"N, 75 24'8.74"W in
> Google Earth.
>
> I think it's the '90 though, not the '04 I have now. And it appears
> to be top down as well! <g>

:-) Thank you for the look. Seems like a nice place.

The whole Google Earth concept still amazes me. I use for all sorts of
things - like for example if I have a meeting somewhere I check out the
site up front so I get an idea of the place and know if parking is a
problem or not.

Kind regards
Bruno

FA: Flying Miata STB + Hood Prop for 1990 - 1997 Miata pws[_1_] Mazda 0 March 30th 07 02:00 PM
What about this Miata? JeffinMS Mazda 2 March 2nd 07 05:11 AM
2000SE miata top FS on miata.net classifieds pws Mazda 1 December 20th 05 08:29 AM
Miata A/C Jerry Mazda 3 July 30th 05 04:28 AM
What a Miata wants to be when it gows up - Mazda Miata mini monster truck.jpg (0/1) schism Mazda 13 November 27th 04 03:18 PM