Import owners are to blame for the recession

Old December 13th 08, 11:06 PM posted to alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.ford
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

Default Import owners are to blame for the recession

On Tue, 09 Dec 2008 14:10:32 -0500, 80 Knight wrote:

> "Dillon Pyron" > wrote in message
> news
>> Thus spake :
>>
>>>If all Americans bought American cars, the US economy would be rockin
>>>and rollin right now. Don't give me that stuff about Toyota and Honda
>>>manufacturing over here either. GM employs 130,000 in the United
>>>States. Toyota employs 30,000, Honda less than that. Most of the
>>>import jobs are just blue collar jobs also, where GM has over 50,000
>>>engineers. The Japanese automakers have brainwashed us into thinking
>>>that buying their car is an investment in this country. I say we buy
>>>from the Big Three and take our economy back.

>> Right. Like I want a Burb or an F150. Detroit ****ed away their
>> survival years ago when they decided that they could sell low mileage,
>> high margin trucks. Now they're paying the price for looking at today
>> and ignoring tomorrow.

> You mean, they sold what buyers wanted? How dare they! And if "low
> mileage high margin trucks" were a bad thing, why did Toyota get into
> that field too?
>
>> Our economy tanked because too many people got greedy and bought houses
>> they couldn't afford. Now they can't afford a $30,000 burb. But they
>> can afford a $12,000 Corolla.

> That Corolla must be used...
>
>> BTW, a friend who until
>> recently was a sales manager at a Chevy dealer here said (this was in
>> July) that he had a 5 month supply of Suburbans and Tahoes, but was
>> selling Cobalts off the truck. But Detroit isn't geared up to sell the
>> small cars.

> Wrong. Here is a list of the cars Detroit is selling, in the top 20
> sales through October 2008:
> The Chevy Impala is #9, Ford Focus #10, Chevy Cobalt #12, Chevy Malibu
> #13, Ford Escape #16,
> Ford Fusion #17, and the Pontiac G6 #18. Like I said in another post,
> the facts are GM especially, builds
> more vehicles people want then any other auto maker, as is proven by the
> sales numbers.
>
>> I don't know if you've noticed, but ALL the car makers are tanking.

> Yes, they are. However, Ford is still Number One, and GM Number Two.
>
>> - dillon I am not invalid

> Your "facts" are though.

Find me one of these:

HHR LT 2LT

Starting at $20,800.00

* Features shown below are in addition to, or in place of, 1LT
features: * Audio system featu Pioneer premium 7-speaker system
with amplified tweeters and rear subwoofer * Brakes: Four wheel
antilock, front disc/rear drum * Bright Chrome Exterior Appearance
Package: Includes bright chrome grille, outside mirrors, lift gate
appliqué, door handles and roof-mounted side rails; when equipped *
Engine: ECOTEC 2.4L DOHC four-cylinder with 172 hp * Exhaust tip,
3.5-inch bright chrome * Foglamps
* Mirror: Inside rearview auto-dimming with compass display. Outside:
power with bright-chrome cap. * Steering Wheel: Leather-wrapped,
includes mounted audio controls. * Suspension: Sport
* Traction contron: all-speed, full function * Wheels: 17-inch
high-polished, forged-aluminum

NOTE: 5 speed transmission.

Your search returned no vehicles. Please modify your criteria and search
again.

This is within 100 miles of Massachusetts.

Nice. I can't get what I want! Any wonder I go to Toyota?

Old December 14th 08, 03:53 AM posted to alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.ford
Gordon McGrew[_1_]

On Tue, 9 Dec 2008 14:29:03 -0500, "Mike Hunter" <mikehunt2@lycos/com>
wrote:

>In November Fords sales dropped 30%, Toyota 33%

But what are the basis for those drops? A year ago Ford was already
experiencing crappy sales while Toyota was still strong. 33% less
than good beats 30% less than crappy. Remember that two years ago
Ford was actually outselling Toyota.

m...

Old December 14th 08, 04:01 AM posted to alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda
Gordon McGrew[_1_]

On Tue, 9 Dec 2008 14:17:57 -0500, "Mike Hunter" <mikehunt2@lycos/com>
wrote:

>You seem to be confused, buyer have always CHOSEN to buy what they buy. The
>Ford F150 has been, for thirty one years and is still today, the number one
>selling vehicle in the US. The F150 has always sold for the most part at a
>rate nearly twice that of the best selling car. While Toyota had to shut
>down its brand new Tundra plant built by the taxpayers of Texas, because of
>dismal sales, Ford had to add two shifts to one of its F150 plants and a
>second shift to another.

You seem to have forgotten that this summer Civics, Corollas, Camrys
and Accords were all outselling F150s. The Urban Idiot Cowboys stop
buying pickups when gas is above $3.50.

Old December 14th 08, 04:07 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.ford
JoeSpareBedroom

"Gordon McGrew" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 9 Dec 2008 14:29:03 -0500, "Mike Hunter" <mikehunt2@lycos/com>
> wrote:
>
>>In November Fords sales dropped 30%, Toyota 33%

> But what are the basis for those drops? A year ago Ford was already
> experiencing crappy sales while Toyota was still strong. 33% less
> than good beats 30% less than crappy. Remember that two years ago
> Ford was actually outselling Toyota.

Don't get all mathy on Hunter. He's old and perpetually drunk.

Old December 14th 08, 08:31 AM posted to alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.ford
Doug

On Sun, 7 Dec 2008 16:18:31 -0500, "Cathy F."
> wrote:

>"HLS" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Cathy F." > wrote in message
>>> I say we buy what is the best, most economical, most intelligent buy.
>>> The American automakers have screwed up time & again; they've become
>>> mired in their own mud. Problem is... the mud's splattering.
>>>
>>> Cathy (aat)

>> Very logical...The Big 3 should maybe listen to the customer more.
>>
>> I have no doubt the Big 3 can compete in quality and design if they wish
>> do so, and if they market their products well, they should be competitive.
>>
>> But talking isnt always doing. Do, Big 3

>With so much on the line, one has to wonder... why *haven't* they
>accomplished the "do"??
>
>Cathy

But I think they have...
For example my 2002 Dodge Caravan has been the most reliable vehicle
that I've ever owned.
Aside from normal wear items like brake pads, it's only needed one
repair in 120,000 miles, that being the fan belt tensioner.

My '87 Honda Accord needed the complete exhaust system, an alternator
and the two front axles replaced before that mileage.

The Detroit Big Three are being judged by the vehicles they made 30
years ago.

Ford had more vehicles in the J.D. Powers to ten quality rating than
any other maker. Lincoln comes in tops with owner satisfation.

The big three also make quite a few car models that get over 28 miles
per gallon.

Their problem is the cost disadvantages that they face.
It costs them about $1500/more per vehicle, not just in labor but in
legacy medical or pension costs, than the Japanese makers with
assembly plants in the USA.

Chevrolet sells a Cobalt for a base price of about $14000 to compete
with the Japanese and looses money on every one they sell.
Ford and Chrysler's entry level/economy cars have the same problem.
I suspect that Ford also looses money on every Focus they sell. Yet,
its a car with great economy, safety and reliability ratings.

Doug
Old December 14th 08, 03:05 PM posted to alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.ford
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 03:31:52 -0500, Doug wrote:

>>With so much on the line, one has to wonder... why *haven't* they
>>accomplished the "do"??
>>
>>Cathy

> But I think they have...
> For example my 2002 Dodge Caravan has been the most reliable vehicle
> that I've ever owned.
> Aside from normal wear items like brake pads, it's only needed one
> repair in 120,000 miles, that being the fan belt tensioner.

I had a bit more than that with a couple of my '92s, but then one had
229,000 when I got it. The other one had broken rocker towers, a common
problem on the early 3.3 L engine, but one Chrysler KNEW about!!! (It's on
the web...)

I also had an LHS, given to me with 148,000 on it. Ran it up to 169,000
and traded it for $600 towards a Scion. Still kicking myself over that.
For $600 I should have kept it. It was a good running car, and I still
miss it after 2 years!

> My '87 Honda Accord needed the complete exhaust system, an alternator
> and the two front axles replaced before that mileage.
>
> The Detroit Big Three are being judged by the vehicles they made 30
> years ago.

Yup. They got a reputation for junk while Japan Inc was building a
reputation for quality.

My Mom will never own another Ford or Chevy again.

Old December 14th 08, 05:12 PM posted to alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.ford
CharlesTheCurmudgeon[_2_]

> The Detroit Big Three are being judged by the vehicles they made 30
> years ago.

Bullshirt! My 95 S-10 was just as bad as anything we owned in the 60's.
They still haven't changed their attitude. I had rust on the vehicle in
some of the oddest spots within a year of owning the vehicle, which I bought
new.

Never again a Detroit rustbucket.

Sir Charles the Curmudgeon

Old December 15th 08, 01:12 AM posted to alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.ford
Dioclese

Default It Takes More Energy To Produce A Prius Then A Hummer

"Hachiroku ????" > wrote in message
news
> On Tue, 09 Dec 2008 22:49:33 -0500, 80 Knight wrote:
>
>> "News" > wrote in message
>> t...

>>> Notwithstanding the other claims, has the first Hummer reached 100,000
>>> miles? Let alone the notional 300,000 mile lifetime.

>> I could tell you that I have seen Hummer's with well over 300,000 miles,
>> but
>> without actual DMV proof, the question can't really be answered.

> I can show you Suburbans with 300,000 miles on them.
>
> But it's an exception. Lots of Japanese cars reach 300,000 easily.
>
> Keep slugging away, though. You might convince someone other than
> yourself.

GERMAN VWs are also known for their longeivity, dependabiltiy, and gas
mileage. More current female and or pregnant driver cars are the exception.
Japanese vehicles did not hold the crown on this until VW gave in to fickle
Americans they did market research on. No, I'm not talking the Beetle even
though its demise went that way as well. VW lost its way circa 95.
--
Dave

2008 Focus , 5 spd no frills coupe- to date per fillup - 33 mpg low - 39 mpg
high.

How much CO footprint to remove and transport basic materials for batteries
and to manufacture the batteries for the Ford Fusion and any other hybrid?

Old December 15th 08, 01:30 AM posted to alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.ford
Dioclese

"Hachiroku ????" > wrote in message
news

>>> Most vehicles will go 300K with good maint. The Prius has a *design
>>> life* of 100K miles.

>> To be fair, I think most cars do. Most original owners don't keep a car
>> for 100K miles. The only road vehicles I know of that really seem to be
>> designed for the long haul are heavy trucks and German cars.

> German cars will run forever! Because they're in the shop half their
> lives...
>
> NEVER will I buy a VW again!

An extension of an exaggeration. FACTORY VW parts are expensive, as are
Toyoto and Nissan. Repair in a VW dealership is always and had always been
longer than most others. A true VW afficiando has the latitude and ability
(with parts) to effect repairs. As does a Toyota or Nissan owner.

Late VWs are relatively poor on mpgs, not worth the monies unless you're
pregnant or a young female where you get emmotionallly off on such a
vehicle. Some prior VWs, 350K was just breaking the vehicle in, male or
female driver. Many Toyotas and Nissans (Datsuns) have great life
expectancy as well. But, I would not put that rubber stamp on all of them.

Old December 15th 08, 01:35 AM posted to alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.ford
Dioclese

"Hachiroku ????" > wrote in message
news
> [...]

>> Hummer
>> will last three times longer than a Prius and use less combined energy
>> doing
>> it.
>>
>> So, if you are really an environmentalist - ditch the Prius. Instead, buy
>> one of the most economical cars available - a Toyota Scion. The Scion
>> only
>> costs a paltry $0.48 per mile to put on the road. If you are still
>> obsessed
>> over gas mileage - buy a Chevy Aveo and fix that lead foot.
>>
>> One last fun fact for you: it takes five years to offset the premium
>> price
>> of a Prius. Meaning, you have to wait 60 months to save any money over a
>> non-hybrid car because of lower gas expenses.

> I'm sure it more than makes up for it in operation.
>
> Nice try, though! Keep telling us how bad Japanese cars are. you might

He did not say "how bad Japanese care are". You did by YOUR reply. But,
you can continue to convince yourself otherwise....