How do I properly install timing belt, balancer belt on H22A Engine? Please Help

Old August 3rd 06, 09:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default How do I properly install timing belt, balancer belt on H22A Engine? Please Help

Does anyone know where i can find more information on changing the
timing belt(possibly with pictures) on an h22 properly. There are two
main things i am concerned about:

What is the best way to remove the crankshaft pulley bolt?

Once i remove the timing belt, what happens if the crankshaft or one of
the pulleys is rotated a full revolution without me noticing even if
there is a mark, do i just realign the pulley with the mark or how do i
make sure the it is aligned?

to my understanding the below procedures are the correct procedures to
align the first piston to TDC and install timing and balancer belt.

1. align the cams with the word top at top, tdc marks aligned with
cylinder head upper surface
2. align the groove on front balancer pulley with oil pump housing
3. align the rear balancer pulley using the maintence hole with a bolt
to 74mm scribed line
4. turn crankshaft pulley one turn counter clockwise.

If anyone has anything else i should know that would be greatly
appreciated.

thanks
Matt

Old August 4th 06, 02:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TeGGeR®

" > wrote in
ups.com:

> Does anyone know where i can find more information on changing the
> timing belt(possibly with pictures) on an h22 properly. There are two
> main things i am concerned about:
>
> What is the best way to remove the crankshaft pulley bolt?

Have a read through he
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/faq.html#engines

Then save yourself a ton of grief and potential damage by buying a factory
shop manual he
www.helminc.com
You can find used factory manuals on eBay.

Forget Chilton/Haynes, etc. They are useless for this sort of thing.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old August 4th 06, 04:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
'Curly Q. Links'

" wrote:

> Does anyone know where i can find more information on changing the
> timing belt(possibly with pictures) on an h22 properly. There are two
> main things i am concerned about:
>
> What is the best way to remove the crankshaft pulley bolt?
>
> Once i remove the timing belt, what happens if the crankshaft or one of
> the pulleys is rotated a full revolution without me noticing even if
> there is a mark, do i just realign the pulley with the mark or how do i
> make sure the it is aligned?
>
> to my understanding the below procedures are the correct procedures to
> align the first piston to TDC and install timing and balancer belt.
>
> 1. align the cams with the word top at top, tdc marks aligned with
> cylinder head upper surface
> 2. align the groove on front balancer pulley with oil pump housing
> 3. align the rear balancer pulley using the maintence hole with a bolt
> to 74mm scribed line
> 4. turn crankshaft pulley one turn counter clockwise.
>
> If anyone has anything else i should know that would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> thanks
> Matt

---------------------------------------

In addition to the tegger site, use only the proper 50 mm tool to hold
the pulley, and have a 17 mm deep socket on hand for the motor mount.

'Curly'
Old August 5th 06, 05:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

i already have the engine out, that was the easy part, now i have the
jdm h22 on my engine hoist and have heard of the autotensioner failing.
how do i remove the crankshaft bolt when it is out of the car? should i
set the engine on the ground? haven't tryed yet, just want to be
prepared. obviously the special honda removal tool in the previous
links is the best way to go other then air, but the engine on a hoist
may present a problem when trying to break the bolt loose. i have both
the service manual, swap guide and the chilton manual, but am sure
there are others things i should be aware of when working with the
timing belt. i work with networks and computers so the wiring and
electrical is second nature to me, but the machanical i want make sure
i do correct.

matt

Old August 5th 06, 05:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
'Curly Q. Links'

" wrote:

> i already have the engine out, that was the easy part, now i have the
> jdm h22 on my engine hoist and have heard of the autotensioner failing.

--------------------------

Is there an AUTO-tensioner on that puppy?

Please tell us what year / models of CAR we're talking about, so
everybody can _picture_ this operation . . .

'Curly'
Old August 6th 06, 07:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

yes it has an auto tensioner, i should replace it with the manual
tensioner, correct?

Old August 6th 06, 07:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

1995 jdm h22a1

Old August 8th 06, 07:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

wrote:
> i already have the engine out, that was the easy part, now i have the
> jdm h22 on my engine hoist and have heard of the autotensioner failing.
> how do i remove the crankshaft bolt when it is out of the car? should i
> set the engine on the ground? haven't tryed yet, just want to be
> prepared. obviously the special honda removal tool in the previous
> links is the best way to go other then air, but the engine on a hoist
> may present a problem when trying to break the bolt loose. i have both
> the service manual, swap guide and the chilton manual, but am sure
> there are others things i should be aware of when working with the
> timing belt. i work with networks and computers so the wiring and
> electrical is second nature to me, but the machanical i want make sure
> i do correct.

> > > Does anyone know where i can find more information on changing the
> > > timing belt(possibly with pictures) on an h22 properly. There are two
> > > main things i am concerned about:
> > >
> > > What is the best way to remove the crankshaft pulley bolt?

Easiest way would be to use an impact wrench. Even a stout electric
job may do the trick. Honda is backwards from toyota. A yota, you
can use the starter motor to knock the bolt loose. But not so on a
honda.. So really, unless you like lots of brain damage, I'd use an
impact if at all possible. Both taking it off, and putting it back on.
..
It needs to be torqued up to at least 85 ft lb's or maybe even more.
Check the manual...

> > > Once i remove the timing belt, what happens if the crankshaft or one of
> > > the pulleys is rotated a full revolution without me noticing even if
> > > there is a mark, do i just realign the pulley with the mark or how do i
> > > make sure the it is aligned?

Draw painted marks BEFORE you take it loose. Also note all the proper
factory alignment marks. You can't even be one tooth off when you
put it back together. It MUST be perfect. No slack in that regard on
the
usual honda.. Also, yes you need to change the tensioner. Also,
you really should change the water pump while you are in there.
All those parts have the same appx lifetime, and you don't want a
repeat of all this fun. Also, check to see if any oil seals should be
replaced. Now is the time to do it..
BTW, when you get it installed, rotate the crankshaft a few times to
make sure that there is no interference. If you feel anything at all
hitting,
take it off and start over. If the belt is on wrong, and you start the
engine, it's pretty much toast. You'll have bent valves, and all other
kinds of wonderful problems. So be totally certain it's right.
MK