Ford's new tire recommendation

Old May 31st 05, 06:55 PM
stevie

Default Ford's new tire recommendation

I have noticed that Ford is recommending that tires be replaced after six
years, regardless of the remaining tread. Apparently, they have determined
that the tire's internal components are subject to failure after 6 years and
the tires are no longer safe. Ford also says to discard the spare, even if
it has never been used.

This article was in the Wall Street Journal, 5/31/05.

Chrysler has apparently had this recommendation for some time; European
autos also carry this. GM is not recommending a tire change after a
specified period at this time.

My Michelin XC LT4 tires have some very small sidewall cracks. The tires
are about 5 years old now. The tire date code on the sidewall says 12001,
meaning it was made the 12th week of 2001.

Just wondering if I should change them now, or wait awhile. I still have
some tread after 48000 miles. Summers are hot in Texas.

Old June 1st 05, 07:36 AM
Ashton Crusher

On Tue, 31 May 2005 12:55:18 -0500, "stevie" > wrote:

>I have noticed that Ford is recommending that tires be replaced after six
>years, regardless of the remaining tread. Apparently, they have determined
>that the tire's internal components are subject to failure after 6 years and
>the tires are no longer safe. Ford also says to discard the spare, even if
>it has never been used.
>
>This article was in the Wall Street Journal, 5/31/05.
>
>Chrysler has apparently had this recommendation for some time; European
>autos also carry this. GM is not recommending a tire change after a
>specified period at this time.
>
>My Michelin XC LT4 tires have some very small sidewall cracks. The tires
>are about 5 years old now. The tire date code on the sidewall says 12001,
>meaning it was made the 12th week of 2001.
>
>Just wondering if I should change them now, or wait awhile. I still have
>some tread after 48000 miles. Summers are hot in Texas.

What do you think happens to those 5 year old tires that are "unsafe"?
They are bought by used tire dealers and re-sold and used for the
remainder of their tread life. I'm sure at some point tires are "too
old" but I'm not at all convinced it happens anywhere near the 5 year
mark, probably more like 10 years.
Old June 1st 05, 12:54 PM
Big Shoe

No doubt rubber and synthetics deteriorate with time. The polyester
tire cord contains heat stabilizers that help it retain strength, but
the cord gradually loses strength. At some point, the tire is no
longer good, at least at speed. Only real question is when that point
is reached.

Old June 1st 05, 01:08 PM
Hairy

"stevie" > wrote in message
> I have noticed that Ford is recommending that tires be replaced after six
> years, regardless of the remaining tread. Apparently, they have

determined
> that the tire's internal components are subject to failure after 6 years

and
> the tires are no longer safe. Ford also says to discard the spare, even

if
> it has never been used.

It looks like there is a bit of ass covering going on here, at the expense
of the consumer, especially in regard to the spare tire. I don't really
blame them though, in light of their last tire debacle.

Old June 1st 05, 03:40 PM
C. E. White

I have some tires on farm equipment that are more than 20
years old. Heck, I have some truck tires on a home made farm
trailer that are more than 50 years old. They look bad and I
would not use them on a road vehicle, but they are still
holding air.

There is one difference in modern tires. In a lot of cases
the compounds have change to reduce rolling resistance. This
may have a detrimental on resistance to aging due to
exposure to sunlight.

Regards,

Ed White

Steve wrote:

> I have noticed that Ford is recommending that tires be replaced after six
> years, regardless of the remaining tread. Apparently, they have determined
> that the tire's internal components are subject to failure after 6 years and
> the tires are no longer safe. Ford also says to discard the spare, even if
> it has never been used.
>
> This article was in the Wall Street Journal, 5/31/05.
>
> Chrysler has apparently had this recommendation for some time; European
> autos also carry this. GM is not recommending a tire change after a
> specified period at this time.
>
> My Michelin XC LT4 tires have some very small sidewall cracks. The tires
> are about 5 years old now. The tire date code on the sidewall says 12001,
> meaning it was made the 12th week of 2001.
>
> Just wondering if I should change them now, or wait awhile. I still have
> some tread after 48000 miles. Summers are hot in Texas.

Beetle Tire Recommendation Randall Brink VW air cooled 8 February 9th 05 01:17 AM
Tire Recommendation for '00 GT Vert Y2KRedMustang Ford Mustang 6 February 4th 05 09:28 AM
Recommendation for tire ppp-man BMW 7 February 3rd 05 07:55 AM
Interesting...Expired Tires Patrick Ford Mustang 4 November 10th 04 04:42 AM
Subaru Outback Tire Recommendation Needed InfoQuest General 0 May 1st 04 07:23 PM