Driving lights and high beam question:

Old December 6th 04, 06:01 AM
Steve

Arif Khokar wrote:

> Dick Boyd wrote:
>
>> Whatever happened to the proposal to polarize windshields in one
>> direction and headlamps at 90 degrees to that and allow brighter
>> lamps?

> That would make it really hard to see other vehicles at night.

I almost responded intelligently to that post. Then I thought, wait,
it's Dick Boyd, it can't be intelligent. That's when I caught that.

--
Steve
Civil Engineering (Course 1) at MIT

Old December 6th 04, 06:01 AM
Steve

Old December 6th 04, 06:48 AM
Sherman Cahal

-
> ESPECIALLY in Louisville. The ever growing numbers of SUVs are

especially
> annoying at night; especially since a lot of them have brights about

the
> same height from the ground as my Toyota Corolla.

I was there last night and thought the same thing in Louisville

> "RJ" > wrote in message
> > Chris Bessert > wrote:

minority

seems to

like

low

> >> Actually, in my neck of the woods (Great Lakes region), I also

note
> >> a certain percentage of drivers on ANY freeway who like to drive

with
> >> their high-beams on, not just those "special" headlights either.
> >>
> >> Mind you, this is on freeways with a grassy median (no center

jersey
> >> barrier wall, no trees/shrubs/vegetation plantings, etc.), so it's

> >> clear visual shot over to the other lanes. I guess people think

that
> >> grassy median obscures the glare from their brights?
> >>
> >> If there is no one just ahead of me on my side of the freeway,

I'll
> >> go ahead and give Mr./Ms. Inconsiderate on the other side a quick
> >> split-second "courtesy flash" to let him/her know that they're

blind-
> >> ing not only all of us going in the other direction, but likely

the
> >> cars diving just ahead of them on their side as well.
> >>
> >> Of course, some of the time one (or two) quick flashes does

nothing
> >> and they continue on their merry way, oblivious to the fact that
> >> they're blinding all other drivers on the highway... :^(

> > Drivers on the Merritt Parkway in CT often just blast through with

their
> > brights on. A courtesy flash does no good, because they don't

care.

> > If you turn your brights on and leave them on, sometimes they will

dim

Old December 6th 04, 06:48 AM
Sherman Cahal

Old December 6th 04, 03:53 PM
Matthew Russotto

In article >,
Dick Boyd > wrote:
>Whatever happened to the proposal to polarize windshields in one
>direction and headlamps at 90 degrees to that and allow brighter
>lamps?

It got lost in the dark.

Old December 6th 04, 03:53 PM
Matthew Russotto

In article >,
Dick Boyd > wrote:
>Whatever happened to the proposal to polarize windshields in one
>direction and headlamps at 90 degrees to that and allow brighter
>lamps?

It got lost in the dark.

Old December 6th 04, 04:42 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Mon, 5 Dec 2004, Dick Boyd wrote:

> Whatever happened to the proposal to polarize windshields in one
> direction and headlamps at 90 degrees to that and allow brighter lamps?

It was extensively tried, tested, tweaked and twiddled, and found not to
work.
Old December 6th 04, 04:42 PM
Daniel J. Stern

Old December 6th 04, 07:33 PM
Matthew Russotto

In article ich.edu>,
Daniel J. Stern > wrote:
>On Mon, 5 Dec 2004, Dick Boyd wrote:
>
>> Whatever happened to the proposal to polarize windshields in one
>> direction and headlamps at 90 degrees to that and allow brighter lamps?

>It was extensively tried, tested, tweaked and twiddled, and found not to
>work.

Seriously? I mean, there are SO many things wrong with that idea that
it's surprising it got anywhere.

Old December 6th 04, 07:33 PM
Matthew Russotto