'84 Honda Accord LX. Interior lights won't go out after shutting the door.

Old August 24th 06, 03:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default '84 Honda Accord LX. Interior lights won't go out after shutting the door.

Hello. I'm having a problem with the interior lights not going out on
my Accord. They've been working fine until tonight. I shut my door and
noticed that the light on my driver door panel and the light on the
roof of the car stay on. My first suspicion is that the driver door
switch might be grounding out against the car so I took it apart and
pulled the plug on it and the lights still stay on. I have no idea what
it could be. Does anyone else know what could be the problem?

Old August 26th 06, 08:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
FunkyKev

He means to say that the light that lets following/passing traffic see
your open door is only lit on the door in question. Only the open door
lights this light. They don't all go on on all 2/4 doors, just the
open door.

Old August 26th 06, 08:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
FunkyKev

I still say remove and masssage the switch. I think I had a similar
problem in an 86. i had to take it apart and play with it and
sand/scuff/bend some things...maybe. i don't remember.

KL

Old August 27th 06, 01:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

FunkyKev wrote:
> I still say remove and masssage the switch. I think I had a similar
> problem in an 86. i had to take it apart and play with it and
> sand/scuff/bend some things...maybe. i don't remember.
>
> KL

The switch should only make the light come on when the wire comes into
contact with car body to complete the circuit (IE 1 wire switch). So
like I said, I took the switch apart and pulled the wire plug from it,
making sure it didn't touch the body.... However, the light is still
on.

I noticed today that on the dashboard, it has the driver door being lit
up as being open. None of the other doors say this. So I'm certain that
it's SOMETHING with the driver door but from my experience with the
switch, I don't think that's it. I have a feeling that the problem may
be on the other side of the wire... only I have no damn clue where that
may be. I may just have to buy an auto repair manual for my car. (I
haven't bought one yet because I just got the car).

Old August 27th 06, 06:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Matt Ion[_1_]

wrote:
> FunkyKev wrote:
>
>>I still say remove and masssage the switch. I think I had a similar
>>problem in an 86. i had to take it apart and play with it and
>>sand/scuff/bend some things...maybe. i don't remember.
>>
>>KL

> The switch should only make the light come on when the wire comes into
> contact with car body to complete the circuit (IE 1 wire switch). So
> like I said, I took the switch apart and pulled the wire plug from it,
> making sure it didn't touch the body.... However, the light is still
> on.
>
> I noticed today that on the dashboard, it has the driver door being lit
> up as being open. None of the other doors say this. So I'm certain that
> it's SOMETHING with the driver door but from my experience with the
> switch, I don't think that's it. I have a feeling that the problem may
> be on the other side of the wire... only I have no damn clue where that
> may be. I may just have to buy an auto repair manual for my car. (I
> haven't bought one yet because I just got the car).

I would trace the wire from the door pin, along the bottom of the door opening,
up into the dash... chances are it's shorted to ground somewhere along the way.
From there it runs up into the dash module that controls the dome light, door
light, and the dash display that shows the door open, and from all your
symptoms, I'd say the problem is limited to that stretch.
Old August 27th 06, 10:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
FunkyKev

Yeah! try removing the trim strip by the door jamb closure on the
lower sill and look for wires. Might have to peel back some carpet to
the floor pan a little. I know there's wiring there.

KL

Old August 27th 06, 10:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

I'll try when I feel like I have enough time to do it 'cause I know
it's probably gonna take some time to take things apart. I already had
the plastic trimming under the door and the panel over the seat belt
taken off. I just need to get more time to take more things apart, I
guess.

Thanks for the replies so far guys.

92 Honda Accord: My dash lights (door and trunk) blink intermittently [email protected] Honda 2 December 17th 05 12:20 AM
2005 Honda Accord Coupe miller_m Honda 0 October 11th 05 09:54 AM
accord VS camry (more like honda vs toyota) [email protected] Honda 1 October 10th 05 10:02 PM
Fixing a mutilated power window door frame. 89 Accord Honda. Burt Squareman Honda 0 September 22nd 04 03:15 PM