Camshaft belt

Old July 22nd 06, 03:58 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Wolfgang

Default Camshaft belt

Hello,

my 166, equipped with a 2.5 liter engine, is now more than
six years old, but has run only 46,000 km. Last week, somebody
told me that I should change the toothed camshaft timing belt
because, being so old, it could break some day. But since such
a repair is extremely expensive (about ¤ 1,800), I would like
to know if it is actually necessary.

Thanks in advance,

Wolfgang

Old July 22nd 06, 08:34 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
alfistagj

Well, the "age" is important as well.
To avoid an un-timely breakage I would rush to a service shop and have the
exchange done a.s.a.p.
Don't take chances.
¤ 1800 is CRAZY though!
Offical Alfa shops would do the job for half that amount, and un-official
garages (if the dare....) would charge ¤ 500-600
Just don't go for the cheap way and only change the belts.
Tensioner, guides etc. should be exchanged as well out of pre-caution.
When the belt breaks you'll be set back a lot more than ¤ 1800 (unless you
can find an engine at a broker.
--
Ciao from The Netherlands
alfistagj (aka Gert-Jan)

"Wolfgang" > schreef in bericht
ia.de...

Old July 22nd 06, 09:44 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Pete[_1_]

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 21:34:58 +0200, "alfistagj"
>, wrote:

>Well, the "age" is important as well.
>To avoid an un-timely breakage I would rush to a service shop and have the
>exchange done a.s.a.p.
>Don't take chances.
>¤ 1800 is CRAZY though!
>Offical Alfa shops would do the job for half that amount, and un-official
>garages (if the dare....) would charge ¤ 500-600
>Just don't go for the cheap way and only change the belts.
>Tensioner, guides etc. should be exchanged as well out of pre-caution.
>When the belt breaks you'll be set back a lot more than ¤ 1800 (unless you
>can find an engine at a broker.

Please take notice of the excellent advise above.

See these posts too if you think that you might take a chance.
http://makeashorterlink.com/?J1FF52C9C
Click Google Search

It is money well spent if you spend it wisely at an Independent
garage. The parts are very cheap but it takes nearly 3 hours to do
the job if memory serves me correctly.

Pete
--

156 2.0 TS (2001) - Proteo Rosso
Old July 23rd 06, 11:18 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Szymon

> It is money well spent if you spend it wisely at an Independent
> garage. The parts are very cheap but it takes nearly 3 hours to do
> the job if memory serves me correctly.

From Alfa Autopsy - the distribution belt is a ugly job on V6. First of all
the workshop need to have blocks for the camshafts (24v), second - you need
to take off some parts, good to replace also 7pk belt for airco, alternator
and waterpump and 4pk for power steering pump. AFAIK sometime there is a
problem with power steering pump - the unit canot be released (untensioned)
due to rust. Of course it's much more easier than clutch disc change

For the prices:
- cambelt - around 25 euro
- other belts - 15 euro
- 75pk belt tensioner - 30 euro
- cambelt tensioner - around 100 euro
Time 3,5 hours

Sz

Old August 10th 06, 12:58 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
pat

Speaking as someone who just spent €2500 to get my engine rebuild
after cambelt decided to implode I would strongly suggest getting the
work done...
It's an expensive risk to take otherwise..

best of luck
patrick

Timing belt followup. B.B. Technology 6 April 2nd 06 06:39 AM
Serpentine belt replacement with *newest design* belt? Lawrence Glickman Technology 12 February 5th 06 11:19 PM
timing belt tension Ryan Underwood Technology 14 September 25th 05 12:13 AM
How do you remove the timing belt sprocket from front camshaft, 90 Dodge Spirit? Chuck Dodge 4 July 24th 04 11:11 PM