Steering Problem

Old November 15th 05, 09:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default Steering Problem

My '88 YJ with 4 in lift and 33's is having a problem with the
steering. It seems to have some play in it but only when I hit bumps or
turn hard. I have looked at the tie rod ends and they look fine. I did
notice though that when I turn, my drag link (attached to tie rod not
to the knuckle like on CJ's) causes my tie rod to twist. I am thinking
this is where my "play" is coming from. What can I do to eliminate
this? Thoughts??? I think the pitman arm is stock. Do I need a
different pitman arm?

Old November 15th 05, 10:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

My guess is that with 4" of lift, a drop pitman arm wouldn't be a bad
idea. Sounds like you have a pretty classic case of "bump steer".

Old November 16th 05, 02:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

If it's starting to 'pull' or 'go where it wants' .................. have a
long hard look at the ball joints !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ups.com...