loud noise left front

Old March 18th 05, 05:00 PM
kellee40

Default loud noise left front

I have a 200 Dodge Caravan. Today when taking my daughter to school,
I stopped at a stop sign and when proceeding again, heard a weird
noise coming from the left front tire area. My daughter described it
as an "ice machine sound." Anybody have any idea what it could be?
Thanks, Kelly

Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Chrysler-l...ict108097.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=504914
Old March 18th 05, 05:07 PM
Bob Shuman

Brakes? Wheel bearing? Without any info on mileage and when the brakes were
last serviced and the vague description I really can't offer any more
guesses. I'd get it to a brake place as this is the most likely cause and
the Caravans can eat through front brake pads (and rotors) every 20K miles.

news:1_504914_41ef7dd797a432ab6f0f64624b9a331d@aut oforumz.com...

Old March 18th 05, 05:56 PM
Joe Pfeiffer

kellee40 > writes:

> I have a 200 Dodge Caravan. Today when taking my daughter to school,
> I stopped at a stop sign and when proceeding again, heard a weird
> noise coming from the left front tire area. My daughter described it
> as an "ice machine sound." Anybody have any idea what it could be?

Were you turning? If yes:

CV joint
Bearing
Brakes

If no:

Bearing
Brakes
CV joint
Old March 18th 05, 07:31 PM
David

"Bob Shuman" > wrote in message
> Brakes? Wheel bearing? Without any info on mileage and when the brakes
> were
> last serviced and the vague description I really can't offer any more
> guesses. I'd get it to a brake place as this is the most likely cause and
> the Caravans can eat through front brake pads (and rotors) every 20K
> miles.
>
> "kellee40" > wrote in message
> news:1_504914_41ef7dd797a432ab6f0f64624b9a331d@aut oforumz.com...
>> I have a 200 Dodge Caravan. Today when taking my daughter to school,
>> I stopped at a stop sign and when proceeding again, heard a weird
>> noise coming from the left front tire area. My daughter described it
>> as an "ice machine sound." Anybody have any idea what it could be?
>> Thanks, Kelly
>>
>> --

Could be the solenoids in the transmission, which make a grinding noise at a
stop, and is perfectly normal.

Old March 19th 05, 05:23 AM
micky

Hi David, can you please elaborate on that solenoid issue? Can it only
happen in reverse and when the car the cold? I have the same thing in a 2001
Concorde and it looks like it is coming from the transmission but only in
reverse. Should I be worried? Thanks.

Old March 19th 05, 01:54 PM
David

If it is the solenoid noise from the tranny, NO! It is normal. It is heard
all the time when you come to a stop! Not really when you are moving. That
could be a problem! Keep your window opening coming to a stop and see if it
is a constant clicking noise for 3-5 seconds. If it is the noise you are
referring to then don't worry, if it isn't and happens when vehicle starts
to move, I wouldn't think it is not the brakes as your foot should be on the
accelerator when you take of. Then you can check your cv joints. Or maybe
your splash shield at the front of the van is knocked loose and rubbing on
something, causing a chattering. But get someone to look at it.