91 Jetta self adjusting clutch cable.

Old February 18th 05, 02:28 AM
Rex Merriweather

Default 91 Jetta self adjusting clutch cable.

I just did a clutch job on a 91 Jetta. Everything went well (have done many
of these) after s few days the clutch started to go out of adjustment. It
now is impossible to get into gear while the car is running, (grinds). Do
these self adjusting clutch cables go bad? This one doesn't seem broken. I
can push the clutch release lever up until I feel resistance, feels normal,
any ideas?

--
Rex Merriweather
www.stunttrumpet.com

Old February 18th 05, 03:26 AM
One out of many daves

I have seen them go bad with problems like you describe.
As long as nothing else has changed for the worst, like the release bearing
or it's arm.
Also check the rubber washers for the clutch cable end at the transmission.

Can you easily pull the clutch cable housing up off it's base at the
transmission?

Old February 18th 05, 04:12 AM
Rex Merriweather

Yeah! I can pull it once, then it seems to adjust. But no different effect
on the release. The rubber on the arm was a little soft, so I shimmed it up
with a couple washers, still no effect. Release bearing was replaced, arm
looked good and still feels good. I'm new to these self adjusting units and
want to make sure this is it before forking out $50.00 for a new one.

m...

Old February 18th 05, 04:39 AM
Randolph

Rex Merriweather wrote:

> I just did a clutch job on a 91 Jetta. Everything went well (have done many
> of these) after s few days the clutch started to go out of adjustment. It
> now is impossible to get into gear while the car is running, (grinds). Do
> these self adjusting clutch cables go bad? This one doesn't seem broken. I
> can push the clutch release lever up until I feel resistance, feels normal,
> any ideas?

Have a close look at the bracketry around the clutch pedal. People have
had problems with the bracket holding the clutch pedal getting bent out
of shape. The symptoms are similar to what you describe.
Old February 19th 05, 04:39 PM
One out of many daves

Did you lube the release bearing before installation? You might need a new
bearing and the release shaft/pushrod if you didn't.
Approximately where is the level of the release bearing arm when you easily
pull it up? About parallel to the ground or higher? Should be about
parallel.

95 Neon Clutch cable issues mike Dodge 0 January 4th 05 08:38 PM
Clutch Cable David Holland VW air cooled 5 December 29th 04 12:03 AM
'97 Jetta TDI - how/whether to adjust the clutch Keith E. Loyd VW water cooled 6 December 18th 04 11:50 PM
94 Jetta clutch and transmission Victor LeeOwn VW water cooled 6 October 20th 04 11:56 AM